• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Do You Look for In An Undershirt? What makes the perficect undershirt?

katon

Reaction score
100% cotton. Not treated with anything that makes it non-bleachable. Long body and short sleeves. A neck that resists stretching out. Reinforced stitching where the arms meet the body, to avoid holes along the seams. Sold by chest size.

KA1555

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Albern

With respect to materials, does anyone have experience or know of any manufacturer making v-neck undershirts out of linen? I wear undershirts all year round and summer is especially hot since I don't take too well to heat and humidity as others. I considered having my tailor make up some simple undershirts from linen but I don't think it's worth the money to go that route.

I'd never thought of this, but it actually is a very interesting idea.

Not even sure if it would work, but if anyone has any info...

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
A light heathgrey one will suppoosedly not show through a dress shirt

+1

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An unrelated tip from Carl at CEGO shirts.... He said if you have a slim-fit / custom shirt, the undershirt needs to be the same. Yes, painfully obvious, but something that never dawned on me until he said it. I am going to learn to sew in a few weeks, and I will start with slimming a few undershirts.. http://www.cego.com/store/

JL724

Reaction score
Sorry to revive an old thread, but has anyone found any good slim fitting, light material, v-neck t-shirts for tall folks? All the ones I have tried at Saks and Bloomingdales have been too wide at the bottom or shrank and aren't tall enough.

2xist and Hanes seem to be the most often mentioned in this thread. I am 6'3", 185lbs if that helps at all. Thanks for the help.

jackdaw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JL724
Sorry to revive an old thread, but has anyone found any good slim fitting, light material, v-neck t-shirts for tall folks? All the ones I have tried at Saks and Bloomingdales have been too wide at the bottom or shrank and aren't tall enough.

2xist and Hanes seem to be the most often mentioned in this thread. I am 6'3", 185lbs if that helps at all. Thanks for the help.

Merona stretch t-shirts (cotton w. lycra) from Target are cheap, long, and slim fitting.

smartxtai

Reaction score
I wear slim-fitting clothes so my undershirt must be close-fitting to my body. An especially important detail I look for is the armpit area. There must not be any excess fabric or else it'll bunch up when combined with a high armhole shirt and suit jacket. Obviously, the shirt must be long enough to stay tucked in too. That being said, I find Calvin Klein's micro modal v-neck shirt perfect for my needs. There's actually a 30% off sale through today, use code "friends11".

answerman

Reaction score
Hanro V-Necks. Expensive, sure, but they last for *years* and are super-versatile. Best undershirts.

The Transporter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by viator
My main problem with undershirts is that they are visible under white and light blue shirts. I picked up a pair of grey v-necks from the Gap for $20 this weekend, which I will try out.

I'm 6'4" 230 lbs. and found that the grey Gap v-neck undershirts (not the regular tees) in a Large are decent even if they are a bit baggy since I'm in pretty good shape (13% bodyfat).

I don't like the fact that the sleeves aren't long enough. If I put it on with anti-perspirant before I tie my shoes I get white crap on my pants from bending over. Just have to put pants & shoes on before anything else.

The grey seems to work under white/light blue/light pink dress shirts without showing through which was key.

naatkins

Reaction score
Usually I wear Hanes Perfect tees from Target, though I own several AA tees, and use them as undershirts for polos and such, but my biggest problem with both the Hanes and the AA shirts is length. They're both cut fairly short, which makes them great for layering with untucked shirts, but pretty useless with dress shirts, as they come undone while the dress shirt stays tucked in, creating a bulge around my waistline.

I guess I'm still looking for the perfect shirt.

tooley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JL724
Sorry to revive an old thread, but has anyone found any good slim fitting, light material, v-neck t-shirts for tall folks? All the ones I have tried at Saks and Bloomingdales have been too wide at the bottom or shrank and aren't tall enough. 2xist and Hanes seem to be the most often mentioned in this thread. I am 6'3", 185lbs if that helps at all. Thanks for the help.
My favorite that I have tried so far is sweatshield. Hanes, AA, and any other 100% cotton ones I have tried so far tend to be too baggy around the stomach and bunch up, which I hate. It also has a deep enough V so as to be hidden when wearing shirts with the top button open, which is almost always for me.

stylenooob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tooley
My favorite that I have tried so far is sweatshield. Hanes, AA, and any other 100% cotton ones I have tried so far tend to be too baggy around the stomach and bunch up, which I hate. It also has a deep enough V so as to be hidden when wearing shirts with the top button open, which is almost always for me.

I'm intrigued by the sweatshield undershirt. Anyone else tried them? I'm in dire need of longer slimfit undershirts -- the ones I have keep coming untucked. I'm 6'0 with a proportionally long torso and narrow shoulders -- I wear a 40/41 in a suit jacket.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilmond