• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you get out of fashion?

Mr. Sartorial

Reaction score
What does fashion do for me?

I think there are a few different interpretations of fashion floating around in this thread, so I want to start by breaking that down.

What is fashion?

Fashion is simply the artistic side of clothing. We call it a fashion industry because it is convenient to do so. Fashion is not integral to the concept of clothing by any means. Humans have worn clothing long before there was a concept of fashion. In fact, the idea of fashion as something that changes frequently did not appear until the turn of the 20th century. Prior to that, fashion was dictated simply by the lower class trying to emulate the higher class, and moved much more slowly. Prior to THAT, everyone dressed more or less the same. Prior to THAT, everyone was presumably naked. As you can see, there are many steps in that process where clothing existed and fashion did not.

So then what does fashion do for me? Surprisingly little in fact. Fashion is like an abusive girlfriend. Just when you think you've got it all figured out, she changes her mind and develops a new type of crazy. Then the cycle continues.

Further getting to the point of things, what does clothing do for me?

Well, it keeps me from being naked in restaurants and wrecking your dinner I suppose.

So if fashion abuses me and clothing merely keeps me out of jail, then what is left for me derive pleasure from? Well, style of course.

For me style allows me to plumb the depths of my soul through non-invasive physical manipulation. It allows me to express in a physical way my roots, my beliefs, my aspirations. It allows me to experiment with being another person, dressed differently than I normally would be, or to display who I really am before I open my mouth. It allows me to appear more attractive than I usually think that I am. Style is my path of physical self-discovery that I pursue by trying on and wearing many different things, coming to conclusions about what speaks to me and what does not, much like how reading and experiencing new things broadens my intellectual horizons.

So what do I get out of fashion? A kick **********. What do I get out of style however? A world of possibilities.

EDIT: Also it gives me something to waste my time talking about on the internet... Almost forgot.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Sartorial
Fashion is simply the artistic side of clothing. We call it a fashion industry because it is convenient to do so. Fashion is not integral to the concept of clothing by any means. Humans have worn clothing long before there was a concept of fashion. In fact, the idea of fashion as something that changes frequently did not appear until the turn of the 20th century. Prior to that, fashion was dictated simply by the lower class trying to emulate the higher class, and moved much more slowly. Prior to THAT, everyone dressed more or less the same. Prior to THAT, everyone was presumably naked. As you can see, there are many steps in that process where clothing existed and fashion did not.

I don't think this is true though

miran

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acoustik
I become interested in fashion to look better and feel better about myself (I'm not a very good looking person). However, recently I feel like I've become a lot more apathetic about it, browsing SF and other fashion related stuff out of habit. I often find myself asking what the point of it all is. So I was wondering: What do you get out of it? Why are you interested in it?
You are kidding, right? Fashion plays many roles in my life, which I shall enumerate below: (1) Means of dominance over others / Means to lord it over others - When I am dressed better, not only do I feel better about myself, but others recognize me as their superior. They then owe me respect. Colleagues and sub-ordinates, as well as ordinary people I run into everyday, from the cab driver to the bellboy to the waiter to the store clerk. (2) Means of Control over others - I tell my wife how to dress. By this way, I can control her behaviour. Sometimes, I have her covered up. other times, I put her up on display. (3) Means of manipulation or intimidation. - I don't overdress or look like the nines everyday. That would be epicene, dandyish, effeminate, odd. But when it's time for the showdown, dress to the nines. If you are tall and handsome, it then becomes double whammy. This is a very effective use of fashion. A look of suave and supremely confident superiority is as essential an accessory as the right foulard or handkerchief. (4) Means of winning sympathy. - I needed to go to court recently. I dressed up to look like a good-natured fellow who had fallen on hard times. Not a bum, not a hobo, just plain and a little down. Worked like a charm, especially in MontrÃ
00a9.png
al where I live where you are habitually judged by what you look like and what you wear. (5) Means of Getting what you want - Based on choice of dress, I can admitted into any club or event I want to. Dressing the right way and looking the part make it harder to turn you away. Again, crucial in montrÃ
00a9.png
al. (6) Means of Looking good. - Fashion is art, and a well-dressed person in the right part of town, helps to add to make it the right part of town. True all over the world. I add to the environment. (7) Means of doing your part to stimulate the economy. - fashion is not cheap. and it shouldn't be. high fashion should help the economy according to Keynesian theory.

Mr. Sartorial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
I don't think this is true though

I simplified things a bit. But that's not really the point of this thread. For anyone interested in learning more I'd recommend the works of James Laver, or one of the newer texts on the history of fashion and costume. I most recently purchased this one although I'm not overly happy with the coverage of menswear in it. I think they could have done better.

larryr

Reaction score
I'm more of a function over form type person, so I'm not so much a fan of fashion as I am of well made things. Whether its a pair of jeans, shoes, a watch or a car, to me is more in the craftsmanship. I appreciate clothes that are constructed well and am willing to pay more for them.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe I'm a weirdo, but me appreciating the craftsmanship that goes into a garment doesn't automatically mean I'd actually want to wear it. I'm impressed by the attention to detail that gets invested in a lot of clothes and footwear, but wearing them based primarily on that merit seems like a recipe for sartorial disaster (see: WAYWT Superdenim Edition).

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Maybe I'm a weirdo, but me appreciating the craftsmanship that goes into a garment doesn't automatically mean I'd actually want to wear it. I'm impressed by the attention to detail that gets invested in a lot of clothes and footwear, but wearing them based primarily on that merit seems like a recipe for sartorial disaster (see: WAYWT Superdenim Edition).

totally agree.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by miran
fashion is not cheap. and it shouldn't be. high fashion should help the economy according to Keynesian theory.
you need to learn to limit your bs. seriously, one or two sentences is all you need.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
pickpackpockpuck, what you're saying is that you like individual garments and shows and stuff but not the whole fashion machine, right? Correct? Je ne sais pas.

Yeah, pretty much (your avatar cracks me up every time I look at it, by the way). There are things I like about fashion. It helps keep design moving forward, for instance. But you can see what I dislike about it by looking at a place like H&M. It's almost fashion at the expense of the clothing. The garments themselves seem like an afterthought. I'm not militant about it. I shop at H&M sometimes. But I'm always disappointed when I do.

Originally Posted by whatever123
no, of course not ... it just doesnt make sense to me. but i view things differently.

I gotcha. I'm not saying anyone should agree with me or feel the way I feel. And I know that fashion and clothing don't live without one another. It's just a totally subjective, emotional reaction on my part.

Originally Posted by Synthese
Cougars.

LOL. This should have been my answer from the start.

alexanduh

Reaction score
no one else gets sex? :O

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads