• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What clothes should I bring to Rome this May?

Leslierc

Reaction score
I'm taking my wife to Rome on May 12th for our anniversary. We'll be staying at a four-star hotel near the Spanish Steps. We plan to do a lot of sight-seeing and shopping over our 9-day stay. As I have never been to Rome, I am open to suggestions about the types of clothing I should pack and stores and sights I should visit. I really want our trip to be an experience of a lifetime.

Thanks for your suggestions!

sloaney

Reaction score
regardless of what you wear, it will be
smile.gif

bryce330

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leslierc
I'm taking my wife to Rome on May 12th for our anniversary. We'll be staying at a four-star hotel near the Spanish Steps. We plan to do a lot of sight-seeing and shopping over our 9-day stay. As I have never been to Rome, I am open to suggestions about the types of clothing I should pack and stores and sights I should visit. I really want our trip to be an experience of a lifetime.

Thanks for your suggestions!

The weather in mid-May should be beautiful - probably mid-70s with lots of sun.

I never dress any differently when I visit a new city than I do at home, so I would recommend just wearing what you usually do (unless your wardrobe includes lots of jogging suits, square toed/rubber soled shoes, and fanny packs). The one tip I can give you is that Italians almost never wear shorts in the cities, even in the hottest days of summer, so leave the shorts at home and bring linen or leightweight cotton trousers instead.

There are plenty of threads about shops to visit in Rome - try searching the archive. The usual recommendations are Battistoni, Davide Cenci, Brioni, etc. I really love the Campanile shoe shop on Via Condotti.

As far as sights, even with 9 days you can only begin to scratch the surface of what Rome has to offer, but the must-sees would include St. Peter's, Vatican Museums, Colosseum, Forum & Palatine, Galleria Borghese, Capitoline Museums, Museo Nazionale Romano. If you are into art there are also some great smaller museums like Galleria Doria Pamphilj. You might also want to do a few daytrips to places like Villa Adriana & Villa D'Este or Ostia Antica.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads