• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What can I wear with shorts other than sneakers or loafers?

Ziqiao

Reaction score
Only as suggestions with humility: Assuming the shorts reach the knees, a pair of dress shoes/ankle boots with capped almond toes may be worn, considering the origin of capped toes. At the presence of cargo shorts, it is acceptable to contrasting details; e.g., grey relief sole with black leather upper. When worn with knee-high socks, loafers and ankle boots are both preferred; dress shoes agree with ankle socks in this context involving cargo shorts.
There are other alternatives that may function well as fashionable items when combined with cargo shorts, such as boat shoes, espadrilles and sneakers. However, down to personal preferences, some may find outlines introduced by those items, together with outlines of cargo shorts, disagreeable in terms of styles.

LeeR

Reaction score
I like the Doek court shoes. And I have walked a lot in them. They have a cork foot bed.

Beadhead

Reaction score
I think I became old - but after doing lots of searches in stores I didn't find sneakers that I won't find ugly. Problem is I need something to wear in summer with cargo shorts shorts.

In other time of the year I wear either brown leather shoes or something like ww2 army shoes, paired with simple pants.

I overall like military style, one color (brown, gray, black..).shoes with relief sole (e.g. like mud hiking boots have, not flat like most sneakers) and without any belts and whistles.

Maybe you have some insights?

I'm in Italy if it matters (availability of particular brands etc).

As for advice "don't wear shorts in town" that I read here not once - here it's too common to wear shorts in summer even among older people so I'll look rather unusual by wearing long pants.
Look for a pair of Corsican boat shoes. They are similar to regular boat shoes (semi-moccasin construction with leather laces) but have a heavier, lug sole of the kind you prefer. They are best worn with very short socks and their rugged style looks good with cargo shorts.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I think I became old - but after doing lots of searches in stores I didn't find sneakers that I won't find ugly. Problem is I need something to wear in summer with cargo shorts shorts.

In other time of the year I wear either brown leather shoes or something like ww2 army shoes, paired with simple pants.

I overall like military style, one color (brown, gray, black..).shoes with relief sole (e.g. like mud hiking boots have, not flat like most sneakers) and without any belts and whistles.

Maybe you have some insights?

I'm in Italy if it matters (availability of particular brands etc).

As for advice "don't wear shorts in town" that I read here not once - here it's too common to wear shorts in summer even among older people so I'll look rather unusual by wearing long pants.
What about G.A.T (German Army Trainers) I wear them with army fatigue style shorts and they work very well. You can find them from cheap to trendy/expensive.

KOz

Reaction score
Only as suggestions with humility: Assuming the shorts reach the knees, a pair of dress shoes/ankle boots with capped almond toes may be worn, considering the origin of capped toes. At the presence of cargo shorts, it is acceptable to contrasting details; e.g., grey relief sole with black leather upper. When worn with knee-high socks, loafers and ankle boots are both preferred; dress shoes agree with ankle socks in this context involving cargo shorts.
There are other alternatives that may function well as fashionable items when combined with cargo shorts, such as boat shoes, espadrilles and sneakers. However, down to personal preferences, some may find outlines introduced by those items, together with outlines of cargo shorts, disagreeable in terms of styles.
I can't think of a more disagreeable pairing than almond toe dress shoes with cargo shorts. How did you arrive at such a conclusion?

Ziqiao

Reaction score
I can't think of a more disagreeable pairing than almond toe dress shoes with cargo shorts. How did you arrive at such a conclusion?
Thank you for your question. I appreciate your courtesy and would like to elaborate. Cap-toe dress shoes (assuming by default also being Oxford), have straight lines crossing the upper. Compared to the rest of the vamp, their toe caps possess higher rigidity, shifting visual interests from the front half to the tip of the upper. Since cargo shorts are generously cut, on the upper they vertically cast larger shadows, which would cut off other toe cap patterns and lead to hazy silhouettes for round toes, contributing to bottom-heavy appearances. In addition, the disruption at the leather upper corresponds to pockets on cargo shorts both in spirit and in lines and forms.
Without elongations nor chisels, toe shapes are discussed as follows:
Pointed toes work well with closer fitting flat-front shorts, if one has to wear shorts. This is because cargo shorts impede dress shoes with pointed toes from accentuating the masculinity of the upper body. As a result, instead of projecting a prominent upper body, with a pair of cargo shorts, pointed toes visually shorten legs.
The curvature of an almond toe, similar to pointed toe, keeps the visual interests right at the tip, as its slimmer profile does not join in forming a crescent the way round toes do, but a concave hexagon with edges rounded to different extents. Its slim profile and moderate length make this middle-ground option best for cargo shorts, especially when it is on a pair of cap-toe dress shoes.

sfbrh

Reaction score
Thank you for your question. I appreciate your courtesy and would like to elaborate. Cap-toe dress shoes (assuming by default also being Oxford), have straight lines crossing the upper. Compared to the rest of the vamp, their toe caps possess higher rigidity, shifting visual interests from the front half to the tip of the upper. Since cargo shorts are generously cut, on the upper they vertically cast larger shadows, which would cut off other toe cap patterns and lead to hazy silhouettes for round toes, contributing to bottom-heavy appearances. In addition, the disruption at the leather upper corresponds to pockets on cargo shorts both in spirit and in lines and forms.
Without elongations nor chisels, toe shapes are discussed as follows:
Pointed toes work well with closer fitting flat-front shorts, if one has to wear shorts. This is because cargo shorts impede dress shoes with pointed toes from accentuating the masculinity of the upper body. As a result, instead of projecting a prominent upper body, with a pair of cargo shorts, pointed toes visually shorten legs.
The curvature of an almond toe, similar to pointed toe, keeps the visual interests right at the tip, as its slimmer profile does not join in forming a crescent the way round toes do, but a concave hexagon with edges rounded to different extents. Its slim profile and moderate length make this middle-ground option best for cargo shorts, especially when it is on a pair of cap-toe dress shoes.
Absolutely excellent troll. 😂

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members