• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Wearing Now/Today Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Brian_SD shirt, thermal, PBJs, new optical white Chucks, then add a sleeveless black hoodie:
Holy ****! Oh the old days. I'm surprised anyone still around on the forums even has one of my shirts.

I was thinking of getting back into the idea of clothing but I'd want to do knits and leathers.. no silkscreening.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Sauce is my hero.
inlove.gif

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by braidkid
wednesday006.jpg

i found the filippa k trenchcoat at a thrift store over the weekend. i love the fit....

Very impressed. Absolutely awesome fit.

braidkid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sauce
worship.gif

we need more pics from everyone else...

thanks for the compliments on the trench. it was truly a rare find, needless to say i'll be making more regular visits where i found it. i'm wondering the retail on something like that, i picked it up for $100 so not exactly "thrift" prices.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
flsxik: Not really. I'm talking about all these off the side poses with the hands in the pockets and looking down.

braidkid: The Inspector Gadget theme seems to be going in my head... but seriously, nice coat.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Wow, guys... thanks for the compliments (seriously, thanks for the compliments), though I think I'd be better served by (constructive) criticism. I honestly thought I looked kind of... eh... today, but I figured I'd post to get a critique. I feel like fit/silhouette/proportion are probably my strong point, but I often get a bit bored by my outfits. I'm usually not adventurous enough, I think. Anyway, again, thanks. Oh, and Arethusa, the sleeveless hoodie is just H&M.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah. Was wondering if it was H&M or one of the AA sleeveless hoodies they're pushing now. Looks good, regardless. And you're right, to an extent. Fit and proportion are what you do best, and a long sleeve and short sleeve tshirt aren't exactly adventurous. That isn't necessarily bad— I mean, after all, it looks good— but I guess it depends on what you're looking for. If your intent to stick to basics and make them work very well, you have that nailed (and perhaps slightly more unusual pieces like the sleeveless hoodie break it up a little). If you're trying to explore more esoteric aesthetics, whatever they are, it's kind of hard to judge or give advice there without an idea of what you have in mind.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Alright since you bitches are steppin it up to my level, though not quite there yet, I will start posting pics soon.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
If your intent to stick to basics and make them work very well, you have that nailed (and perhaps slightly more unusual pieces like the sleeveless hoodie break it up a little). If you're trying to explore more esoteric aesthetics, whatever they are, it's kind of hard to judge or give advice there without an idea of what you have in mind.

Mostly, I think what I feel like I lack right now is that little extra oomph that comes from having one or two interesting, unique details. That can be a piece like the MJK asymmetrical hoodie, an unexpected fabric, a splash of color, it can be a lot of things, but that's mostly what I'm missing. Get Smart is right, my intent is almost always to stay clean and minimal, and I don't want to veer away from that--so no esoteric aesthetics, esp. since I can't really afford anything but basics anyway.
smile.gif
I don't do color well, and I often run out of ideas for those little extra touches that keep things interesting.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know. If your intent is to stay clean and minimal, you're doing that quite well as it is. You don't really tend to do much with color, but that isn't necessarily bad if it's a deliberate choice.

There are certain things you could do to accent otherwise subdued outfits. The last one you posted, for example, is fairly monochromatic: white shoes, white tshirt, grey tshirt, black hoodie. If you wanted to mix in something more striking, ditch the white chucks for your grey ones and wear a red tshirt accented against the grey tshirt underneath. You'd still get some of it under the sleeveless hoodie. Alternatively, you could mix in a separate monochromatic palette, like a dark brown longsleeve tshirt with a khaki tshirt over it. None of this is particularly complicated; about the only rule, if that term is even applicable, is that it's probably best to make the tshirt lighter than the long sleeve tshirt if you're pairing it with the black sleeveless hoodie (which you can swap out for a sweater vest or even a suit vest, if you want to start doing unusual things).

There are plenty of other things you could do, obviously. You could swap out the multicolored beanie for a either a more fragile, fashion-y piece like a thin cashmere beanie or you could go the exact opposite direction and try a military surplus hat to go with the military style jacket (looks like it was modeled after Diesel's Jubetwo, though there's probably a real jacket with similar details I don't know about). You could, of course, try exploring more unconventional aesthetics if you wanted to, and speaking as a kid who is (as far as I can tell) a hell of a lot poorer than you, there are ways of managing that (mostly a mix of thrifting, learning to sew, eBay, and creative shopping). Not saying you have to; just that you don't have to spend more on an outfit with Demeulemeester, Diem, and Maltieri than I spent on my High Performance Civic.

ts4them

Reaction score
Originally Posted by braidkid
wednesday006.jpg

i found the filippa k trenchcoat at a thrift store over the weekend. i love the fit....

Love that trench and the whole look. Those are the colors I pretty much stick with, but with a little black. The white shirt makes the whole thing very crisp and clean. Interesting color choice for the shoes; I never would have done that, but it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads