• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just finished "The Night of the Milky Way Railway" by Miyazawa Kenji. The idiot translator gave away the only plot twist in her introduction, the b*tch.

Almost finished Shirley Hazzard's "The Great Fire", which boasts the wimpiest wartime hero since the Sword of Honour trilogy (mind you he was played on TV by Daniel Craig, so he must have had a bit of cred).

Am about halfway through Roger MacDonald's "The Ballad of Desmond Kale". It's one of those 'convict Australia' sagas about an escaped convict sheep breeder who rustles some sheep and establishes the merino industry. It's a good yarn, has all the relevant convict slang ("traps, "grog",etc) and touches all the right cliches (flogging parson, drunkard governor, washerwoman with the heart of gold, inscrutable black tracker, etc). It won the Miles Franklin Award last year, which is our top literary prize.

nioh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dormouse
How do you like it?

So far about ~120 pages in, sadly nothing like her masterpiece The Secret History. Hopefully it will pick up some pace though.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just started Sciascia's 'The Day of the Owl'. Mafia in Sicily. Great dialogue.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just for general interest?
Yea, just to have some prior knowledge on the subject. I haven't seen any good fiction that has stuck out at the library so usually when there is nothing there, I'll browse nonfiction for some general stuff.

JB

alexei

Reaction score
Russka by Edward Rutherfurd
0345479351.jpg

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here read 'The Age of Wire and String'? Strange and provocative. Strangely provocative.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Goldsworthy's "Caesar, Life of a Colossus"

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Goldsworthy's "Caesar, Life of a Colossus"

Let me know if it's good when you're done. I love all things Roman.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Let me know if it's good when you're done. I love all things Roman.

Will do GQ. About 50 pages in and it seems quite promising.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Fires," by Raymond Carver

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm about half-way through Conspiracy of Fools, by Kurt Eichenwald, about Enron.

At this point it is getting boring. It's just more of the same page after page. I'm about to give up on it.

bob

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Los Alamos by Joseph Kanon. A murder mystery set against the backdrop of the Manhattan Project in Los Alamos, NM. I'm about 2/3 of the way through it and so far would give it a B/B-.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SUITE FRANÇAISE, by Irène NÃ
00a9.png
mirovsky, having a hard time finishing it.

The style is passable. She's very good at portraits, but it remains rather boring, despite the subject matter. Simplistic novel overall. I hear a film is in the works.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For light reading, Manhattan Monologues by Louis Auchincloss and for heavier reading, The Peloponnesian War by Thucydides.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads