• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
crag1vm1.jpg

Whatever happened to a good DOF?
+100. I don't know why I've been agreeing with you so much lately Conne. This is like the third time or something. Seriously this has got to stop.
I'll give it a try. I'm not a huge speyside fan. Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or seemed very accessible to me and is different enough to warrant extra interest from non-Scotch drinkers.

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Macallan works for a lot of people.

Have you tried Oban?

It's been well over a year since I've last had Oban, so I'd have to try it again to be completely fair. My tastes in whisky have much matured since then, and, with that said, still have a long ways to go. I see it quite frequently, so it must be easy to come by.

I tried another Scotch new to me tonight, Singleton. I found it to have a sweet, honey-like aroma with touches of over ripened, fleshy fruit and the taste was much the same. The Sherry cask aging really shined through. Really quite enjoyable, both for the sake of complacency and just smooth drinking. This is a new favorite.

Hunts, I'll be on the lookout for Cragganmore Distiller's Edition. Sounds like it'd be right in the vein of what I'm wanting. Islay greatly interests me, but the peat and tannins are still just a bit much for me.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having some Mount Gay XO on the rocks. I'm not a fan of rum, but this is starting to change my mind.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Wayfarer
It's been well over a year since I've last had Oban, so I'd have to try it again to be completely fair. My tastes in whisky have much matured since then, and, with that said, still have a long ways to go. I see it quite frequently, so it must be easy to come by.

I tried another Scotch new to me tonight, Singleton. I found it to have a sweet, honey-like aroma with touches of over ripened, fleshy fruit and the taste was much the same. The Sherry cask aging really shined through. Really quite enjoyable, both for the sake of complacency and just smooth drinking. This is a new favorite.

Hunts, I'll be on the lookout for Cragganmore Distiller's Edition. Sounds like it'd be right in the vein of what I'm wanting. Islay greatly interests me, but the peat and tannins are still just a bit much for me.

When I first started drinking whiskey I found this classification of single-malts to be very helpful:

http://www.whiskyclassified.com/classification.html

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's been well over a year since I've last had Oban, so I'd have to try it again to be completely fair. My tastes in whisky have much matured since then, and, with that said, still have a long ways to go. I see it quite frequently, so it must be easy to come by. I tried another Scotch new to me tonight, Singleton. I found it to have a sweet, honey-like aroma with touches of over ripened, fleshy fruit and the taste was much the same. The Sherry cask aging really shined through. Really quite enjoyable, both for the sake of complacency and just smooth drinking. This is a new favorite. Hunts, I'll be on the lookout for Cragganmore Distiller's Edition. Sounds like it'd be right in the vein of what I'm wanting. Islay greatly interests me, but the peat and tannins are still just a bit much for me.
I think you'd very much enjoy Clynelish 14-year-old. It shouldn't be too hard to get your hands on a bottle.

Spirit of 69

Reaction score
Being an Irishman I'm still drinking what I've always drunk - Guinness in the pub, Irish whiskey at home. I never drink at home what should only be drunk as draught in the pub. And I never drink in the pub what I feel is best drunk leasurely at home with friends and family. In the same way that I only smoke cigars when out for a walk on my own. I detest ruhsing cigars, it defeats the purpose of and benefit gained from smoking them.

My three current favourites Irish whiskies:
Bushmills 12 year old single malt
Tullamore Dew 12 year old pot still
Knappogue Castle 1995 - 10 year old single malt

Spirit of 69

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
IMO Cragganmore 12 is the most accessible single malt on the market. That's not to say it's bad, Crag is one of my favorites.

Do yourself a favour and try one of the Bushmill single malts, either the 10 or 16 year old, which are easy enough to find. Or the distillery sold 12 year old if you can find it.
I visited the Bushmills distillery on the north coast of Ireland back in 2003 and bought a bottle of 12 yo then.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spirit of 69
Do yourself a favour and try one of the Bushmill single malts, either the 10 or 16 year old, which are easy enough to find. Or the distillery sold 12 year old if you can find it.
I visited the Bushmills distillery on the north coast of Ireland back in 2003 and bought a bottle of 12 yo then.

IMO, comparing Scotch to Irish Whiskey, is as productive as comparing Irish Whiskey to Canadian Whisky. Or apples to oranges.

Crawford

Reaction score
From a link Huntsman posted in the Classic Cocktails thread, I decided to make this tonight:

The Abbey
1.0 oz. Gin (Bombay)
0.5 oz. Lillet Blanc
0.8 oz. Orange Juice
Dash Angostura Bitters

My first impression was not what I was expecting and I did not enjoy. From there on I approached it with different expectations and enjoyed it a lot more. I think in the future I would try a 1:1:1 mix to better suit my own tastes.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Whatever happened to a good DOF? Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or seemed very accessible to me and is different enough to warrant extra interest from non-Scotch drinkers.
You like a shorter DOF? Cocktail pics where the DOF doesn't even make it to the other side of the glass are becoming pretty passe these days. Actaully, when I took that pic (over 2 years ago, I think), I wanted the textbooks behind to be sort of visible.... This better?
dsc0848yl0.jpg
Or this, with the Christmas tree? (which I think I shot at f/2 to keep from blurring it too much).
ml22mp9.jpg
If you like Nectar, I think the Crag Distiller's will suit you fine, though it is several steps darker and richer.
I was in that position, vis-a-vis the peat for some time also. Strange that it just...went away. Caol Ila and Talisker did it for me. I still prefer many of my Speysides, or a richer and slightly smokier whisky like Aberlour A'bundah or Highland Park to a full on Laphroaig though.
Originally Posted by Crawford
From a link Huntsman posted in the Classic Cocktails thread, I decided to make this tonight: The Abbey 1.0 oz. Gin (Bombay) 0.5 oz. Lillet Blanc 0.8 oz. Orange Juice Dash Angostura Bitters My first impression was not what I was expecting and I did not enjoy. From there on I approached it with different expectations and enjoyed it a lot more. I think in the future I would try a 1:1:1 mix to better suit my own tastes.
Interesting -- never had the Abbey though I've seen it. If you have Cointreau, you should try a Savoy Corpse Reviver #2 -- a search here will pull a recipe. ~ H

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
When I first started drinking whiskey I found this classification of single-malts to be very helpful:

http://www.whiskyclassified.com/classification.html

Thank you for that. I guess i'll have to try Ardbeg, Caol Ila & Clynelish; since the other three in Cluster J are my three favourite scotches
inlove.gif
inlove.gif
. Am pretty sure the liquor store i go to has Ardberg. Soon.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Hunts, you take the best pics.

Had a nice little Rhone tonight, with a pork tenderloin. We then had a little cheese with a small glass of 20 year tawny. Now, two cans of lime diet coke with 8 oz of Wiser's whisky.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Homme
Thank you for that. I guess i'll have to try Ardbeg, Caol Ila & Clynelish; since the other three in Cluster J are my three favourite scotches
inlove.gif
inlove.gif
. Am pretty sure the liquor store i go to has Ardberg. Soon.

I highly recommend Caol Ila. I just recently tried it myself and I found it to be one of the most complex of the peaty whiskeys. Starts off peaty and medicine-y and finishes off smooth and sweet. Yum!

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tanqueray and tonic

Crawford

Reaction score
Jager Bomb - minus the bomb

So just 1 shot of Jager in a mixed drink with a can of Red Bull. Delicious.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads