• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys regularly visit blogs in the "mixology"/liquor/wine/spirits/whathaveyou category?

Edit: Just saw that Morgenthaler did an AMA on reddit in January: https://www.reddit.com/r/cocktails/comments/5l61ro/cocktails_ama_3_jeffrey_morgenthaler_bar_manager/

Edit2: Lol, didn't know that (from 2007):
I had the pleasure of meeting the fine folks from the Angostura company at the Vegas Bar and Restaurant Show this year, and they gave me the most interesting piece of trivia (I can’t imagine why they told me this): A few years ago, they enlarged the hole in the top of the bottle, and their sales went up something like 30%.

So, evidently, a dash of bitters is much more than it used to be, at least where your bottle of Angostura is concerned.

Edit3: His booze collection: http://imgur.com/a/1K94I ("It's not everything, and a lot of my stuff is in places that don't have a ton of light, so some of the photos are pretty bad or just non-existent. But that gallery should get you a peek. :)")

Edit4: Read it all. Recommended. Maybe nothing mind-blowing in there, but he's just really honest and unpretentious about it all, I think.

More on topic: drinking an Old Fashioned with Woodford Reserve right now. Picked it up heavily discounted this time, pretty good stuff.

The walnuts seem like they should ripen another 5-10 days, from what I can tell. My order of "Primasprit" wasn't even shipped yet either...

On another semi off-topic note: I'll also try to make some "Schwarze Nüsse" ("black nuts")/"Pfälzer Trüffel" ("Palatinate truffels"), a specialty from.. well.. Pfalz/Palatinate (what a weird name). No alcohol involved (although I might very well add a dash or two to the syrup...), but what you do is take the green walnuts (same ripeness as for Nocino, i.e. kinda ripe-unripe with no inner shell developed yet), wash em and maybe trim the ends, poke them with a thick-ish needle (like 10-20 times), then soak them in water. For about 14 days, changing the water twice daily, repoking the nuts regularly. (Remember to wear gloves, they can stain quite well.) Untill they turn black. Boil them (for some 30 minutes or so), then pour syrup over them (with some cinnamon bark, vanilla and whatever you want). On the next day, reheat the syrup, maybe enrichening it with some more sugar, and pour it over the nuts again. Repeat on the next day. Fill in smaller glasses and let sit for a few months, optimally >1 year. Will look like this:

8E3un4W.jpg

And is served with game, roasts, cheese, desserts etc. Never heard of it before. And that stuff is quite expensive, like 10 € for 5 nuts when you buy it in a specialty store.

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Cocktail virgin (slut)'s blog seems good. http://cocktailvirgin.blogspot.com

Found some nice mint and wanted to make a Mojito. Then I realized I forgot to buy limes. So Gin & Tonic with some mint it is, pretty good and refreshing. Might have a Mint Julep w/ Woodford Reserve too.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ Cocktail virgin (slut)'s blog seems good. http://cocktailvirgin.blogspot.com

Found some nice mint and wanted to make a Mojito. Then I realized I forgot to buy limes. So Gin & Tonic with some mint it is, pretty good and refreshing. Might have a Mint Julep w/ Woodford Reserve too.

Yeah, he's a local guy Fred Yarm. He's written two books. His latest one is a ton of recipes. Hundreds from Boston area bars.

He was a scientist and author before he became a bartender. I would visit him when he first started tending bar. Fred has helped me during brand spends by drinking copious amounts of expensive things.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, he's a local guy Fred Yarm. He's written two books. His latest one is a ton of recipes. Hundreds from Boston area bars.

He was a scientist and author before he became a bartender. I would visit him when he first started tending bar. Fred has helped me during brand spends by drinking copious amounts of expensive things.
I think I've seen his blog a good while ago but never really followed it. Saw him posting in the AMA and Morgenthaler said he's a huge fan of Fred too.

Got any other recs blog/website-wise?

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neutral 96/192 proof alc will arrive tomorrow. Gonna grab the 1.8l KORKEN glasses from IKEA tomorrow too. Will get the walnuts on Friday/Saturday. Will report back once it's all set up.

After the free (fête de la musique + Red Bull) Thundercat + Flying Lotus concert, it's Gin & Tonics now.

eddiemczee

Reaction score
Made a Tom Collins at work today for one of my bosses and I to survive the heat. Made it with St. George Terroir Gin, which I am trying for the first time. I also used some demerara sugar instead of plain sugar syrup. A really delicious gin, when people told me it tasted like a forest I did not think it would be this strong but I love it. I have always loved herbaceous notes like pine and sage, which is why it is so surprising it has taken this long to find I enjoy gin. I will definitely pick some up for home as well as take a trip to St. George's distillery

Oh man, I love the Terroir gin and love it in a Sidecar. And if you never been to the distillery before, I'd highly recommend it. I never tried their fruit liqueurs before, but they're great!

eddiemczee

Reaction score
Never posted in this thread before, but thought I'd start! I made this drink this past weekend for my wife and some guests. It's essentially a strawberry basil gin smash. Lemon verbena is an awesome garnish and smells great too. If you're interested in the recipe, you can find it here.

DSCF4487.jpg

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think I've seen his blog a good while ago but never really followed it. Saw him posting in the AMA and Morgenthaler said he's a huge fan of Fred too.

Got any other recs blog/website-wise?

Morganthaler is one of my favorite voices on cocktails, spirits, bartending, etc. He is fun to read. Concerned about practicality. No frills. I love pretty much everything he puts out.

Fred is great for checking every day. The only complaint is that I wish he would actually sort of rate or rank the drinks he reviews.

For books my fav has been Dave Arnold's and Morhanthalers both for very different reasons. Dave Arnold's book is absolutely ******* fantastic. I treated it like a text book. Looking at a few things many times etc

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does Galliano Ristretto fare vs Kahlúa? Is Galliano Amaretto any good compared to say Disaronno? Ignoring the annoying bottle size, of course. ; )

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ramazzotti Arancia (Orange) is pretty great in theory. Sadly, they've for whatever reason decided to bottle it at 25% (50 proof) as opposed to Ramazzotti's 30% (60 proof). The result is quite a bit too thin, imo. Still decent and worth a try though.

Generally, I'm always more than surprised at the rather incredible value Ramazzotti and Averna have. They're regularly sold at less than 9 €/0.7 liters around here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads