• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What age did you develop your style

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I don't have a developed style yet, but I think necessity is the mother of invention so...

9th grade:

I went from having a crappy khaki and polo everyday school uniform to a school that didn't have uniforms so I started thrifting a lot and going to garage sales making the best of things. Now that I have a full time job and money I am trying to make more informed purchases instead of just buying whatever grabs my attention in a thrift store after a crappy day at work or when I don't feel like hanging out with my parents during the evening news.

robbie

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After attending prep schools and wearing school uniforms all my childhood and young adult life, I became a rebel and developed my style right away at 14 or 15. It doesn't hurt that my parents are both well dressed and my mother specially had the privilege to go to couturiers when I was growing up. I'd say developed an 'eye' for style at home.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the past year or so i think i'm at a point where i'm pretty comfortable with my style...so, age 24?

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone actually gave me a compliment the other day, so I guess I'm cool & developing my style now. Wait, it was an SA at Neiman Marcus so that probably doesn't count.
laugh.gif

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
My interest in clothes (Fashion) started around the age of ten. Obviously the folks held the purse strings tight and I got to pick out what I wanted through necessity or Birthdays and Christmas. I was definitely conscious of personal style from that age and spent most of my money on clothes versus toys and **** most kids would buy.
Thinking about it most lads in England that I went to school with were overly conscientious about clothes, we didn't have the American frat mentality so I guess we all felt comfortable to be a little geh knowing we wouldn't receive a beating in the locker room.
As for personal style that's always evolving and what feels right now is generally viewed with distain down the road.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About 13-14 I began to have strong preferences for certain looks and colors. By 15-16 I was really getting into new looks that were a step or two away from what everyone else wore. As a freshman in college, my roommate said,"If this was the Old West, you would be the guy they call the Dude".

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I begged my parents to buy me a suit when I was like 5. Its been a work in progress ever since...

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel my style I want is burdened by the pressures of my age and the expectations from it. I don't want clothes to make barriers.

Thus, I'm stuck between:
Pressure to maintain approachability, social stigma
VS. how I want to express myself.

Right what I wear is somewhat distinctive among my peers, but ideally not in a way that starts getting in the way of relationships with others, and meeting new people (everyday!). I certainly don't please everyone, but I still dress close enough in a way that others can still identify with me and actually want to talk to me. I value relationships with others more than I do my ability to stick out and alienate myself.

PLEASE do not comment on that I don't have the balls to be my own man and do as I want. I am happy with wearing what I currently own, and see myself owning in the future. I just choose to not fully develop my style to keep a healthy and fun social life. I get much more satisfaction and meaning from this than any piece of cloth draped over my back.

People around me in school are still maturing and still growing out of their adolescent ways even in their early 20s. I plan that towards the end of my schooling years I will be a place where I wear exactly the clothing I want to express myself in, and a majority of others (now grown to adults) are at a point where they are mature enough to understand and respect the choice.

If you made it this far through my personal monolouge on my issues with style then I'm impressed.
laugh.gif

everybodynobody

Reaction score
I'm a newcomer to styleforum and I've got no style. I wear a solid colored T-shirt, Levi's, and Vans everyday and its what I've worn since I was teenager. I've taken an interest in dressing better lately and I'm hoping by reading the threads here I'll develop a sense of style.

specialblend

Reaction score
I've always been developing my style and I probably always will be. My style is a reflection of my personality, status, and lifestyle, it will change as my life changes. It is something that will grow as I grow.

I still wear skater clothes from my teens, I still wear collegiate preppy digs from my time in Uni and I'll continue to change my sartorial gear for working life as I rise up in the ranks.

BPerm

Reaction score
Probably right around the time I turned 18. Growing up really influenced me to make some changes in my style for the better. I am thankful for finding this Forum because it is rather hard to find help, tips and advice on style in Northern Nevada...

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
For streetwear, probably 18-19 is when I moved out of Abercrombieland and into more or less the same kinds of looks I go for now. I still wear a lot of the stuff I bought during that time, especially Helmut Lang jeans. That's also when I started buying better shoes, starting with a pair of Alden 405's.

For dressier stuff, probably 22-23, when I lived in Europe and first started wearing jackets and pocket squares regularly. I have the same body now that I did then, so I still like the same kinds of silhouettes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads