• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding Tux Advice

Pistol_Pete

Reaction score
Hello. My fiance and I are attempting to pick out tuxes for our upcoming fall wedding. We are a young couple with a traditional/contemporary mix (meaning she's a little more traditional, I'm a little more contemporary). In any case, I really wanted a longer (upper thigh length) tux, as well as at least 4 button. Now - mind you - we are not the type of couple that goes out dressed up so there's no need for me to buy a tux. So I'm definitely renting a tux (I know... you should never rent clothing). With that in mind, I found one I really liked. I'm hoping to get some opinion on wearing something like this to a wedding. I'm wondering if it's too far past the traditional wedding attire. Take a look: http://www.afterhoursformalwear.com/styles_....r=&Nav= I'd love to hear your opinions (be nice about it). One thing that my fiance is worried about is how to wear the jacket - unbuttoned or buttoned (and if so - how many buttons). From what I've been told/read, no tux jacket (outside of double breasted) is to be worn buttoned. She's worried that unbuttoned the jacket will not look formal enough. Can anyone voice an opinion on that? Any additional wedding attire advice would be most welcomed (tips, recommendations, do/do nots, links). Thanks.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Run man, run, and think about the freedom you are giving up....just RUN.....best tip in the world. Np really, the best tip, do whatever she says....it will make the honeymoon better, and get you right into lifes' new reality. Good luck and congrats.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(1) Consider buying a tuxedo or a dark suit. Depending on your location, you will be able to get one for about double what a rental would cost you, and you'd have it for life. You could even go Ebay for a NWT tux and I guarantee it will fit you better so long as you know your size and you will get much better quality. If you are concerned about shelling out money for a tux, consider a dark suit. You'd probably feel better about spending $1000 on a suit than a tux, right? Don't automatically think you have to go with a tux for a wedding, especially if it is in the daytime.

(2) If you rent -- something I strongly advise against (this is your wedding. The expenditure on your own clothing should not be considered any less important than the bride buying her dress; would the bride ever consider renting her dress?) -- don't rent that four button thing. That is not a tuxedo. That is just ugly. Tuxedos should always be buttoned; and a double breasted ANYTHING should ALWAYS be buttoned. The standard answer here will be a one button peak lapel tuxedo. I cannot think of anything more elegant than that. And it is something that you will almost never find at a rental place.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to add to my post, IMO it matters little that you will not plan on wearing the tux again. The bride is not planning on wearing her dress again either, but she's not renting. Between $500 total to buy your own tux, shoes, and vest/tie and the $200 total it will cost you to rent, that $300 is easily worth it -- you'll look better in pictures, feel more comfortable, and feel more attractive.

Second, if you aren't the kind of couple that dresses up, why go with a tux then? Why not make the ceremony more "you" and go with a dark suit? You could get a beautiful, full canvassed (i.e. "hand tailored") suit for under $500. A dark charcoal or black would be perfect. You could then pick out a special tie for the occassion.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. That Tux just looks ugly. If you need something elongated, you are looking for a cutaway jacket, not a tux and it's worn with striped grey flannel trousers.
Really, do what Johnynormann says : buy a nice black suit. That's what I did.
If you are renting a tux, then rent a real one : silk notch lapel, single button.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
If you are renting a tux, then rent a real one : silk notch lapel, single button.
No notch on a dinner jacket; peaked is traditional, more classy, and looks better. In my opinion.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes, peaked. I meant peaked and wrote notch .
Thanks for correcting me.
Sorry about that mistake.

Luc

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
That coat looks as though it is cut to be left unbuttoned.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
I don't want to knock your hustle, but that tux (I hesitate to even call it that) is horrible looking. It belongs in a parody of gay vampire movies.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on getting married.

Re the tux, consider that you're planning to look at the wedding pictures for years. Do you really want to see yourself in a four or seven button monstrosity in perpetuity? Just about everyone looks terrific (read: tall, thin, sophisticated) in the classic single button, peak lapel tux or a well cut black suit and beautiful tie. True elegance is understated. If a classic tux isn't you, go for the suit. You'll get more use out of it after the wedding--you can dress it up or down and wear it a lot.

Are you having a rehearsal dinner or brunch the day after the wedding? Save the high fashion looks for those events.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
think about all those pictures of people married in the 70's in powder blue tuxes. is that what you want?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I note that a number of the fellows have advised you to consider a black suit in lieu of a tuxedo. May I suggest that instead of black you consider midnight blue (NOT the ubiquitous navy blue)? If you have an evening wedding planned, it will look like a deeper, richer black under artificial lighting, and it will certainly be a more elegant, versatile daytime garment than the black suit.

Maybe it's just because I came of age when James Bond was the ikon of virile elegance, but I still have a soft spot for the shawl collar tux, although I know the peaked lapel is more formal, traditional and "correct." I am sure that the consensus of this forum is all but unanimous that you should shun the popular notch-lapel tuxedo although they seem to be by far the most common style in most stores these days.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
think about all those pictures of people married in the 70's in powder blue tuxes. is that what you want?
I agree completely. I was at a wedding this past summer where the wedding party wore tuxedos like that, and my first thought was that the evening wear rental industry has finally created an ensemble that may be as memorable as the blue tux/ruffle shirt combo.

The classic styles may look conservative and stodgy now, but they'll still look conservative and stodgy in 20 years. OTOH, trendy styles may look trendy now, but they have an enormous risk of looking ridiculous in 20 years.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Peaked and shawl lapels for dinner jackets are equally "correct." Peaked are just touch more formal. But shawl are arguably more dashing, and certainly more rare. Notched lapels are incorrect.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads