• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WAYWRN - Peacock Edition

A.J.V

Reaction score

Great stuff except for this. The sweater's gorge doesn't work. The shirt spread collar creates funny angles especially since it seems you have a pretty big neck size.

Thanks, I see what you mean.

In an attempt to provide feedback, hopefully illustrating what I personally think a bold peacocking look should achieve:

First 2, 5th, 6th and last ones are just great.
Too many colours in the 3rd for me. Penultimate one is a colour combination (purple/navy) I've personally gone off, so I find it difficult to judge.

Thanks for your comments and the feedback HF!

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may post photographs in this thread once I've returned from my mini-break. I'm certain some of you may appreciate the one real outfit I wore - an ivory suit, a yellow shirt, large eyeframes and a golden gun

PTWilliams

Reaction score

Clothing of mine I would describe as peacock are: 1) pink, purple, and aqua colored jeans; 2) tartan plaid sport costs, and 3) ascots. I also have a Berlin jacket with large eagles and a Sherlock Holmes outfit (Deerstalker and Inverness jacket) but these are more costume than peacock. I would not consider pink shirts or bright socks as peacock, but some might. Similarly, spectator shoes can simply look well coordinated with the right outfit.

1. Being dressed well will always be pleasing to the eye and people will not tire of seeing it. Peacock clothing is like a good joke or witty retort, very much enjoyed the first time seen, engenders a smile a second time, but will be tiresome thereafter.
2. Brightly colored pants are a waste in a dark environment such as a nightclub because it is often difficult to distinguish colors (even pink), and people don’t notice you until you’re right next to them. In that situation an ascot, hat, braces, and jacket are more noticeable.
3. Younger (under 35) crowd very much enjoy pink, purple, or aqua pants, especially the pink. Women and guys will come up all the time and complement them. Here, my age may be a benefit because it is unexpected (of course, people who think you’re an idiot will just ignore you). Ascots seem well received, mostly because people never seen them in the wild. I’ve learned that when dating women over 40, peacock clothing is a big turnoff.
4. To work, I think that only one piece of clothing can peacock, the rest must be very conservative. I think that makes Spoo’s outfits work.

Yesterday, I was at the bar at the Intercontinental hotel that hosted a women's fashion show waiting for the after show party and dance to start. Met an under 35 group having drinks who were part of the annual American Association of Nurse Anesthesiologist convention in San Francisco. The girls mention they were having their kickoff party at the Moscone Center that had already started. Being a frequent attendee of medical conferences myself, I decided that it might be a better venue. When I arrived, the guard asked for my badge, but upon seeing my purple pants let me, saying I was too well dressed not to be part of the event.
(Why am I the only guy that seems to have diffuculty orienting his iPhone photos?)

Last edited:

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ so awesome, and what a diffrence with the beard and without. But I like it without.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NYR - awesome. i am srsly jealous of your monster beard.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not as much as the electric blue stripe in that suit
smile.gif

Actually, they're kind of a faded bluey/grey.

I might wear my navy suit with electric blue stripes tomorrow though!

And Ed, re: your thumbs-up comment: you're not wrong! :D

These ones I like a lot; there's a fun, vibrant but still balanced noisy excitement to them. Some of the others that I edited out were more in the clashy end of the spectrum for me.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

On its way back...trimmed it a week before heading out to SC, but it's going to grow until at least Christmas Eve this year. Just starting to get a little bushy again.

:slayer: my beard is getting pretty bushy too. i love it, but the wife HATES it. not sure how much longer i will be able to let it go for. :(

CrAz3D

Reaction score
NYR, what receptions have you received with your hand tat and arm tat? I'm personally against that. I recognize the artistic value of tattooing, but, again, personally, I can't see myself ever utilizing the services of a professional that has visible tats. That's obviously my own perception (based on "you're gonna look like hell when your're old, if that tat is in the wrong place).

I should've taken pics of today's ensemble. Light grey suit + silk fire engine red tie + black AE Strangs + a blue-based shirt w/white and red stripes. Also, gold cufflinks and tie clip (grandad's links & clip, so I wear them every chance I think they might work well, regardless of anyone else's thoughts, cause, hell, they were my grandad's).

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score

NYR, what receptions have you received with your hand tat and arm tat? I'm personally against that. I recognize the artistic value of tattooing, but, again, personally, I can't see myself ever utilizing the services of a professional that has visible tats. That's obviously my own perception (based on "you're gonna look like hell when your're old, if that tat is in the wrong place).

What is the point of this?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads