• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WAYCT: What are you carrying today? Accessories/Bag compliment to WAYWT

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Kinda crappy weather here today, so a repeat bag from yesterday (Versace large tote). If I get caught in the rain, I'd rather be carrying a fabric/canvas bag than something in full leather.

P.s. I'm probably the only person who caught this, but if you watch the Pierce Brosnan "Thomas Crown Affair," after he and Rene Russo get in a big fight, she goes walking around the city in the rain, crying, carrying an Hermes Birkin. It gets soaked and I remember cringing.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Posting a horrible bag here but I am doing it to make a point. No, the fancy bag does not go with me on trips. Instead I bring this firm-issued garbage along, which features a dorky corporate logo embroidered on the front.

Do any of you have a total beater travel werk bag? I can't bear to subject anything nice to the nightmare of werk travel. I mean, look at this sad bag, which spent today's flight jammed under seat 17E.

blwC7.jpg

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Yep, I have an ugly-as-sin Tumi nylon bag I use for long travels. It's been beaten to hell by the airlines and in storage bins, but as you said, I'd never subject a nice bag to that... not anymore (did it once with a Dior bag and learned my lesson...)

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Meetings today, so a CN document case/soft briefcase. Size is perfect, not too small, but not so big like carrying a suitcase. Fit (today) a laptop, two books, a notepad, and about 200 pages of documents/papers. Also a folder, bottle of water, power cord, wallet, agenda, and pen case.
iV8Rl.jpg

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Haven't updated this in a while... today I'm carrying an AW08 Calvin Klein Collection woven-leather shopper. Simple, minimal styling, no logos, and the leather is slightly more structured/not as "slouchy" as BV, so I find it a little easier to use for work/day wear (I love BV, but it sometimes is too "soft" for my needs.) Interior is organized for day wear (pen/card holders, two pockets, and open space for books/notebooks, etc.
DZuho.jpg
89Jsu.jpg

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love that one Rach. I agree about the slouchyness of the BV bags being a turn off at times.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Desi
Love that one Rach. I agree about the slouchyness of the BV bags being a turn off at times.
Thanks! Yeah, this one uses something more like a woven box-calf (which is slightly stiffer), rather than the very soft nappa that BV uses. If you try to use it as a work bag, often my BV stuff I've used/seen has just distended out of shape or just not looked right. It's a great aesthetic for casual wear (the relaxed/slouchy look), but hard for me to use. I like this CK tote and, the quality is good (though, again, not what I'd really want at its retail ((luckily got it for a good price)))... CK Collection consistently puts out really well-done bags/accessories, and they are very minimal on the logos (as well, because CK Collection isn't very well known, it doesn't stand out as much as Gucci/Prada/LV, etc.). They've gone downhill, just like most every other brand, in the past year or two (my guess is because of the economic downturn or drop in profits), but still they usually put out a subtler, better done "minimal" bag than their closest competitors, Prada, Costume National, Jil Sander, etc.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I used today:

I must get round to taking a photo of mine, but here's a stock pic:

bag0074a.jpg

Bill Amberg Canvas Truffle in navy. Birthday present from my wife.

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I wore that on Saturday too. My wife hates it, it's a bit bulky (I have the big one), the small pockets are not very practical. I needed that colour and it was very good price during the last sale. I have 4 other Bill Amberg bags and this is my least favourite.

My (almost) everyday bags for work are 2 Bally messengers (black and brown). I should take some pics. Although I have at least 10 bags, I tend to carry the same for months. Next in my rotation: Hogan Rebel messenger and 2 Want Les Essentiels laptop bags.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Thanks for the "review" of the Amberg bag, clausc. I've found Amberg bags hit and miss... some really nice and useful, others less so. Also some with excellent details/leathers, others with some plasticky, icky stuff. I guess, like any brand, he's got to have a wide range of products at varying price levels... but still, I probably wouldn't buy Amberg unless I could handle it in person. Would love to see your Bally pics; they've really been doing a good job the past few years putting out nice men's bags. Pricepoints aren't bad, either, for a major brand... they've got on their e-store now a few very nice men's bags in the $1000 range, very simple and well done. Considering Gucci wants nearly $1900 or more for the same bag (with crappier quality), I'd definitely put Bally back on my "must see" list. For example, here are two beautiful bags they put out last Spring/Summer collection. I love the style, color, materials, etc.:
CxQoQ.jpg
6pWSy.png
Also, as a shout-out to CK Collection, here are a few other of my favorite bags they've made. These below are from S/S 2008, but each season they tend to put out well done, simple, useful items. The only PROBLEM is that, like Lagerfeld Gallery Homme, Fendi Uomo, etc. the men's accessories are really hard to find/see in person (except at the store on Madison Ave.):
CKCollectionSS08Boston.jpg
CKCollectionSS08Tote.jpg
RgR0j.jpg
H9EnO.jpg

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clausc
^I wore that on Saturday too. My wife hates it, it's a bit bulky (I have the big one), the small pockets are not very practical. I needed that colour and it was very good price during the last sale. I have 4 other Bill Amberg bags and this is my least favourite.

The small one is a pretty good size for me. I use it to carry a camera, a magazine and a book or two and not much more. The pockets are quite handy for carrying an extra lens or two, but I use old manual Nikon lenses which aren't that large and are tough enough to stand a few knocks. I'd prefer it if the leather was natural rather than black, but overall I like it.

Anyway here's a pic:

billamberg_truffle.jpg

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I used the other Bill Amberg bag my wife bought me. It's a very simple canvas backpack, that works well over one shoulder when not fully laden:

billamberg_pack.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads