1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Watches

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SoCal2NYC, May 13, 2007.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

What's the difference between the Radimor and Luminor? I really couldn't understand the lady helping me (as in her grasp of English).
    The case shape:
    Luminor
    [​IMG]

Radiomir
    [​IMG]

There are many derivations of each (40mm to 47mm, simple base handwind to tourbillon or 8 day movements)

Most do. But a few don't.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I disagree with the choice of the white face but to each his own.

Black seal is the name of the PAM183 radiomir above. Panerai is coming with ceramic cases but Black Seal is not one of them

If you are interested in learning a bit more about Panerai, I would suggest spending a little bit of time on Paneristi. Start reading, then ask questions - this is a very friendly and tight community

2. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Well-Known Member

All the more reason to get the Glashutte, you know it has a crystal back.[​IMG]

[/IMG]

That's why I asked about the Panerai. I thought I read somewhere that models made after 2003 have the clear back. I didn't even look when I was in the store.

3. shawndo

shawndo Well-Known Member

Difference between radiomir and luminor. The Luminor has the "crown guard". The little device that goes over the crown that was originally there to let you wind the watch underwater, and keep its water resistance. I would normally go for the Luminor, but I can't stand the white faced one. From the list you provided, I would go with the GO PanoReserve. Off the list, I'd cnosider a - Black faced Panerai Luminor - GO PanoMaticReserve - GO Sports EVO PanoDate Also, with the Panerai, with a few exceptions, the crystal backs are only on the "base" manual-wind models. The automatics, for the most part, don't have crystal backs [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

That's why I asked about the Panerai. I thought I read somewhere that models made after 2003 have the clear back. I didn't even look when I was in the store.
    Most Luminor models have had a display back since the E series (2001-02 season). Radiomir models with display backs started with the C series (1999-00 season)

5. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

I own a couple of the watches on your list...I disagree with iammatt about the patek sport watches--pretty silly analogy, and they couldnt be harder to get rt now...especially the jumbo Nautilus...Aquanauts are only cool if they are the jumbos as well....I think the market is really tricky on Panerai's, and the white faces dont fetch $ or hold value...the prices on the rarer ones are stupid, movements are iffy, and there is a small group pushing the price up...I am a Royal Oak fan, especially the Offshore...Glashuttes are cool, in a more accesible Lange and Sohn way, but you can get a dcent Lange for less than the AP....If you are really interested, PM me and I can get you in touch with a couple of dealers, depending on what you want. We are all members of the IWJG and NAWCC, so u are covered on legit stuff....All that said, I think the Panerais are a little played out. AP's are around and remain cool--especially the Offshores, and if you can find a jumbo aquanaut, expect to pay $11K+, and Jumbo Patek Nautilus $29K+...pretty big spread...happy to help, if you need it
    MFJ

Just because something is popular and "hard to get" doesn't necessarily mean that the masses of people with a blank checks in their pockets are making a good choice. There's no accounting for taste. Indeed, by your calculus, Rolex is the best "luxury" watch; surely, Timex is the best watch of all - they sell like hotcakes.

The bottom line is people should get what appeals to their tastes. It's very easy to get caught up in the hype when models are popular, have wait-lists and sell for over MSRP. That doesn't mean you necessarily should.

For what it's worth, I agree with Matt. PP, to me, represents classic dress watches and pocket watches. Just as a Ferrari SUV is incongruous to me, so too is a Patek sport watch. For sport watches, I buy other brands.

6. SoCal2NYC

If you are interested in learning a bit more about Panerai, I would suggest spending a little bit of time on Paneristi. Start reading, then ask questions - this is a very friendly and tight community

Thanks for the 411. I did some poking around on that site earlier; but, was just bored at home on a Sunday night and didn't feel like joining a whole new brand specific forum and wanted to just hear what the guys here had to say about everything.

7. SoCal2NYC

What's with the aversion to the white face Panerai?

8. shawndo

shawndo Well-Known Member

If you like it, go for it. Since the demand for that watch, I think, would make it a little easier to obtain. For the most part, Panerai's look the same. The white face, seems to me, such a departure from their identity, I'm just not used to it I suppose.

9. SoCal2NYC

Of course I'm getting what I want. I was just asking since it came up like 2-3x in this thread (which I created more for some discussion moreso than a decision making tool).

10. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

It's just not what Panerai watches are about. If you like the historic Panerai style, you should get a black (or tobacco) face.

11. Tomasso

Tomasso Well-Known Member

Either a watch speaks to you or not; asking the opinions of others seems futile.

12. fumanpo

fumanpo Member

The Royal Oak to me is a masterful design by Mr. Genta, one of the icons of mechanical watch design...simple yet distinctive. Several other brands have imitated the dial design, but none quite capture the purity of form of the original octogon shape. I prefer the simpler and smaller earlier models, as the face is less cluttered in appearance. The Royal Oak Offshores are unfortunately too big for my slender wrist, and I think their faces are a bit too busy for my tastes. I bought a 36 mm model for myself. Of note, though, I do find the crown design a bit tricky and fussy to operate. For a stainless steel case, they are also kinda pricey, but my little watch collection would not be complete without a Royal Oak...

13. WSW

WSW Well-Known Member

Either a watch speaks to you or not; asking the opinions of others seems futile.

Since price is not a factor apparently, go to your AD, and try on all the watches on your list. One will stand out from the others; get that one. Very simple.

14. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

^^^ this has to be the most unattractive GO display back I've seen. Is that a Senator? IMO, the movement finishing and decoration do not deserve a crystal back.

this GO movement deserves one:
    [​IMG]

15. LSeca

LSeca Well-Known Member

^^^ this has to be the most unattractive GO display back I've seen. Is that a Senator? IMO, the movement finishing and decoration do not deserve a crystal back.

I have no clue what model it is. I was looking for a pic and this was the first available. I do not know anything about the movements, I judge a watch by its face design and some brand recognition.

16. ortolan

ortolan Well-Known Member

So a sports watch?

When I said I was not fond of those Patek styles you mentioned, I must admit the Jumbo Nautilus is appealing in the "preposterous, outrageous, I must have it!" sort of way. A big (at least for Patek) irresistable, eye-flinching, statement that you have arrived. In that light, I would be sure to find the biggest, ugliest, Nautilus possible to wrap like an iron brick around my wrist. On the other hand, Patek does make some very elegant dress watches, when they do not succumb to haute swiss 70's styling.

Since the Jumbo Nautilus is overpriced, we can scratch that off the list...

On second thought, I would get the Glashutte in steel. It simply is not worth going to the precious metal price, not for the Glashutte, which sometimes, unjustly, plays second fiddle to Lange. For the Panerai I would go for a simple vintage look, pay as little as possible. No on the IWC (more of a pilot's watch as someone alluded to earlier); no on the AP Royal Oak (unless you move back to Carmel).

Just some opinions. I love spending money vicariously, even more so than writing broad sweeping generalizations [​IMG].

-- ortolan

17. woodywoodson

woodywoodson Well-Known Member

I have the AP Royal Oak (15300 model with white dial) and a GO Panomatic Lunar. I prefer either of them to most of the others that you listed, but it is hard to say just why. I consider them to be the closest to the intersection of classy, horologically-satisfying, and value (in the sense that some wonderful bespoke suits cost less than a Kiton).

The AP RO is my idea of a fairly expensive and prestigious sports watch. I suppose many folks might prefer a Rolex Daytona. The GO Pano series tends to be a lot dressier-looking, especially when paired with a strap (though still not technically dress watches). The new GO Sport Evo series are very nice rugged sports watches that I would prefer to most Rolex models. I find Panerais somewhat boring, and Pateks seem expensive.

18. SoCal2NYC

Since price is not a factor apparently, go to your AD, and try on all the watches on your list. One will stand out from the others; get that one. Very simple.

The point of this was to discuss and talk and see if there were any owners here since it would be more interesting than talking to the lady trying to SELL me one of these.

I mean if we all followed the something will speak to you mantra we really wouldn't have a forum.

19. SoCal2NYC

So a sports watch?

-- ortolan

Well my definition of a "sporty" watch doesn't have to be ladden with dials and chronographic. Something that bridges being an austere clean face and a chronograph. That's why the GO PanoReserve is leading the back with its face design; which compared to my other 3 watches that have nothing on the face but a regular dial/date would have a leg on each side of the bank.

And I think I like the Nautilus less and less...looking at how the tropical rubber band of the Aquanaut mimics the face of the watch is also a beaut.

20. Miguel Alvarez

Miguel Alvarez Well-Known Member

-patek's are for old people
    -panerai is boring
    -glashutte: I wouldn't even consider that one.

Aquatimer is a nice one depending on which model you want (2000, chronograph etc.)

AP would be my choice