• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wardrobe Basics (I Tried)

yoyo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
+1 What with the numbering and regimented colouring, it sounds like you're buying uniforms for Soviet spies or robots or something.

Not to be harsh, but I think you should consider the services of a personal shopper: you need more help than the Internet can provide.
confused.gif

Exactly.

You've created a really boring 'wardrobe' that seemingly has variety, but doesn't have a single item that you could really love. Don't plan on a spree; add items one at a time as you find things that really fit you (physically and personality-wise). Buy a few plain tshirts if you need something to wear due to weight loss, at least those you can wear with other things or to the gym.

jhdas

Reaction score
Read the sartorialist's blog and browse the archives. Maybe save some images of looks you find that you particularly like. Be sure to see what other people have said about the clothes to make sure you're not completely off base.

Look through the WAYWT/WAYWRN threads around SF and keep a note of what looks good. Doing this over time you should be able to develop a good eye for style.

...At least, that's what I'm trying to do, being in a similar situation as yourself.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This isn't supposed to be a laundry list, you're not going to go grocery shopping. Put actual thought into how each and every piece fits into and effects your wardrobe if you want to achieve an appearance of style. If you don't care then by all means divide your wardrobe based on colors in such a manner.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Silk pocket square, cream. You will thank me later.

unicornwarrior

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
I think you're taking things way too fast. Shopping sprees can be fun, but in the end it might be better to take things slow and phase out your wardrobe over a season or two.

Going off of this, I'd like to point out that it is extremely difficult to create a particularly stylish and functional wardrobe in one "shopping spree". Certain articles of clothing are only prevalent during certain seasons, meaning you'll be limited...especially if you plan on going into a mall in Atlanta.

Why do you need 4 of every undershirt in every standard color? They usually come in packs of 2 or 3...also unless you use your undershirts as plain t's (I do, so I keep different colors) youre likely to stick using a white undershirt for most occasions.

Also, are you losing a significant amount of weight? My body weight fluctuates anywhere from 150-170 depending on eating habits, working out, etc, but I normally am able to stick to one size in clothing...although it's slightly more snug. Are you losing like 30 or 40 pounds? Some of your old clothes might still be useful..perhaps socks and certain undergarments.

The colors your picking are questionable. Most people don't shoot straight for a red dress shirt. Look for colors appropriate to your skin, body, and style.

You really should ask sales attendants for help, you seem like you need it, no offense.

Berticus

Reaction score
I'll agree with the one week's of underwear thing, but how many pairs of underwear you go through depends on what you do. For example, there are days when I wear as many as 3 pairs of underwear in one day. Most days I wear 2 pairs (change once in the morning after my shower, change again after post-workout shower).

Also, ankle socks should only be worn when working out or wearing shorts. There really isn't any other time to wear them.

A money saving advice I can give you is cutting down on the number of sneakers. I'm currently in college and I make loafers my go-to footwear. I mean I do have 3 pairs of sneakers, but they all serve different purposes. Running shoes for running in, or any time I'm not lifting weights. Retro sneakers for the rare occasions when I do wear sneakers with my outfit. Finally I have tennis shoes for working out in that involves weights.

You may want more than 1 pair of workout clothes. Since you'll be sweating in them, you'll want to have a fresh pair every time you workout.

extempore

Reaction score
My god.

The pinnacle of dressing well is an art, not a science. You can coordinate all you want based on colour wheels and skin tones and whatnot, but if you don't inject some creativity/spontaneity into things you will not go far.

Also what a lot of people here are forgetting is that style is a trial and error sort of thing. You can't always get everything right the first time - you need to make some mistakes here and there, in your quest for your own personal style.

beau nash

Reaction score
I would drop the black dress pants, unless you just want them for club wear. For actual dress occasions, they are not much use.

I would add at least one and maybe two odd jackets. A navy blazer and a tweed jacket would be good choices. Add two or three solid or simple striped ties, nothing shiny, and you are set for most college dress events. Look through the "what are you wearing right now" thread to see some examples of how to combine these jackets with grey and khaki trousers or with your jeans.

Agree that you need at least one and probably two pair of brown shoes.

You might add a solid navy suit in a conservative cut. It will get you through most dressier events.

If you end up needing a tuxedo for formals, you might consider buying one. Joseph A. Bank has them on sale all the time and buying will save you money in the long run. Plus, if you are they guy who already has the tuxedo, you might become the go-to guy for the out of town sorority sister who needs a date to the spring fling.

T-shirts and polos are easy ways to figure out which colors you like. You might actually like and look best in the basic colors you list, but maybe not. If you decide you want to try an unusual color, a t-shirt from Target is a decent way to see how you look and how people react to you.

And I second those who have suggested Alan Flusser's early books. Clothes and the Man by Flusser and Elegance by Bruce Boyer were my first clothing books. Both still work and you can pick them up used off of Amazon.

Hunter

Reaction score
Wow I have never thought of preparing for school in this way... Too much planning I think makes for a boring wardrobe but the other thread the clothing make more sense, like a wardrobe that you would have built up in time not in a 45 minute shopping spree... Also it was the first mention of a Tie I believe. I graduated recently and just now finally got my Collegiate Tie, they have amazing Robert Talbott collegiate ties at hansens dot com... When you have a good quality tie people notice... Just my two cents......

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads