• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

W.W. Chan and Peter Lee Tailor Report in HK - Part Deux

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I will check with Patrick regarding his travel dates. But do you think it's a good idea ? A single basted fitting for my first suit ...

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
aj_del - I think that should work pretty well. You'll already be one step ahead of what most people get on the US Chan tour. You may want to make sure you have someone you can trust in India to do any minor alterations. One thing to consider is selecting your fabric before you get to HK and letting Patrick know in advance. Chan doesn't stock most of the top English mills so they'll need to order the fabric ahead of time and you want to make sure they have enough time while you're in Cairns for them to focus on the basted fitting.

I would also highly recommend going to Peter Lee at Lee Baron for shirts and a linen sportcoat or suit. He has a few very nice linen books. He could likely have a basted shirt fitting ready for you the day after measurements. Then you could order a handful which should be ready for you on your return trip to HK. The linen sportcoat or suit would have to be mailed like Chan, but he could have the basted fitting ready for you when you swing back through HK.

My wife actually had a nice jacket made at Peter Lee's so perhaps that could be a selling point for her! :^)

I stayed at The Kowloon Hotel which is two blocks away from Peter Lee and a 10 minute walk from Chan. Very convenient and not too expensive.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Thanks for your comments. It's major selling point that I can get something made for her. But the downside is 800 USD.

Did you specify the details of the DBs you got made at Chan in the sense the width of the lapel, the buttoning point etc. I hope you don't mind but I am not a fan of your DBs stylistically. I prefer a wider lapel and much lower buttoning point. Do you think Patrick could incorporate that ?

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A jacket for your wife at Peter Lee would be around half what you mentioned.

Regarding my DB's, no offense taken. On my first DB (the Minnis Air Force Blue flannel) the lapels were a bit slimmer and the button stance pretty high. On my second DB (the Smith's gray flannel) the lapels were made a bit wider, but appropriate and balanced for my frame. The button stance was lowered a touch from the first, but was still high. A slightly lower buttoning point is more standard for Chan so no worries for you there.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

But now I am wondering how does one select a tailor for oneself ? A vague question but after trying one tailor and having mixed feelings with him, it makes me ask the question to myself what do I see in Chan that I am willing to try him. Is it a case of the neighbour's wife appearing more pretty than one's own ?

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recommendation/word of mouth counts for a lot. And that is where SF is particularly useful.

I'm contemplating trying a local tailor here, but without recommendations or 'fit pics', all I'm seeing are pretty coats on shop window mannequins.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
^^ Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. But now I am wondering how does one select a tailor for oneself ? A vague question but after trying one tailor and having mixed feelings with him, it makes me ask the question to myself what do I see in Chan that I am willing to try him. Is it a case of the neighbour's wife appearing more pretty than one's own ?
I wouldn't look too far into things and get too philosophical about it otherwise you'll drive yourself crazy. For you, the biggest hurdle seems to be access to great tailors. If you're able to get to HK and have access to guys like Chan and Peter Lee it seems like you should take advantage. That is, assuming you've liked what you've seen from myself and other SF-ers that have used these tailors.

fox81

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
^^ Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

But now I am wondering how does one select a tailor for oneself ? A vague question but after trying one tailor and having mixed feelings with him, it makes me ask the question to myself what do I see in Chan that I am willing to try him. Is it a case of the neighbour's wife appearing more pretty than one's own ?

pics of the neighbour's wife please

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In about a week's time they should be able to get most anything you need. Under that I'm not sure. I'd check with Patrick using the email address on their website. I guess it would depend if their HK broker had the fabrics on premise.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmm ill have to just choose what they have - i only have 4 days and then back for another couple of days 4 weeks later

guess ill get something cheap and once my pattern is sorted order some better fabrics

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. Probably not a bad way to go regardless!

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that the price of a 2 piece in H & S Viceroy flannel was around 2500 USD. Is that correct or was that the price for Victory flannel (the s160s with cashmere & mink) ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads