• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reaction score
I would definitely use my Vis boots in the wild if I was not living in the city. Scriptura have to be one of the toughest Vis boots with the Cochise, but as discussed often here Vis bootsare tough Fashion boots i.o. with Viberg which are more like fashionable workwear boots.

Here are Ruco`s scriptura after 15 miles trek

Wow the uppers look fine, but the soles are completely wrecked. Do they not glue the soles as well as welting them? 15 miles seems short for that kind of damage.

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the caption was taken a little out of context. Ruco had worn those for years before they went on a hike. The welt is handsewn to the upper but the sole is glued on 90% of models (sans things like poundmaker which have stitching through the sole) to allow easy replacement. This isn't unheard of for this type of boot, they are fashion boots afterall. Most of the modern hiking boots use a lot of machine stitching and synthetic materials which tend to perform better as far as adhesion goes.

Reaction score
Yeah out of context it was more disconcerting, but seeing as michigan hiking options are usually muddy, maybe it's best to save em for lighter activites.

Anyway added a new pair to the collection, Pizi Serras From FW 2012, the suede was god tier like I was expecting but then the seller told me he had applied repel at some point.

Anyway pics:

Sizing wise I got a ten, which fits well but pinches my second to last toe. I think a 10.5 might have been slightly better fit, but these are not uncomfortable in anyway.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Halp, I have an irrational want for these.

abcdefghijkl

Reaction score
What are your opinions on suede repellent?
Yes / No / depends ?
I did not apply on my dark brown boots but just got sand isdt's and I'm considering it
Thanks

Yeah out of context it was more disconcerting, but seeing as michigan hiking options are usually muddy, maybe it's best to save em for lighter activites.

Anyway added a new pair to the collection, Pizi Serras From FW 2012, the suede was god tier like I was expecting but then the seller told me he had applied repel at some point.

Anyway pics:

Sizing wise I got a ten, which fits well but pinches my second to last toe. I think a 10.5 might have been slightly better fit, but these are not uncomfortable in anyway.

Last edited:

Shinoda

Reaction score
Water repellents are good IMO and doesn't alter the look in any way at least in my eyes. I use it in almost all of the suede and nubuck stuffs that I have.

Reaction score

What are your opinions on suede repellent?
Yes / No / depends ?
I did not apply on my dark brown boots but just got sand isdt's and I'm considering it
Thanks

I personally think it flattens out the nap of the suede, and "hardens" the texture. It doesn't change the look much though.I personally just don't use suede in any chance of inclement weather, and have eraser/brush for dirt/dust.

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got the new visvim thorson jacket today, definitely has a repro fit but I enjoy it. The dyeing process is "dorozome" or mud dye. Jacket is object dyed in vegetable source like bark then soaked in mud that acts as a mordant to bond the dye to the jacket. Normally synthetics like nylons are super hard to dye so the jacket only takes on part of the color. The dorozome process also reacts with the nylon to matte the fabric a ton, giving it a look similar to vintage jackets. Riri zips, cow leather pulls, premium wool ribbing and fine polyester lining. Way over the top but as expected from visvim. The color depending on light source varies greatly which is awesome.

makin' my jacket

natural light

indoors (can see a hint of dye from the browns in the color)

Last edited:

ddohnggo

Reaction score
holy ****, that's a great piece. does it use the same nylon as the fw thorson? i have that one and it's fantastic. did any US stores buy this piece b/c i haven't seen it at all.

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TBH I dont own the fw thorson, a little too warm for california, so i cannot comment. From the other nylon pieces I own like the iris, its the same but treatment is different. Another difference between this model and the fw edition is the batting in this is cotton poly (i think) whereas the fall model is wool lined which makes it 3x heavier. This will not be released in the US, it was an isetan limited drop with sizes 0 and 1 for the archives demonstration and 1-3 available the weekend after at omotesando. Supposedly there will be a restock in august with a larger size run, no confirmation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads