• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Visiting Chapel Hill, NC

daft

Reaction score
Don't mean to hijack the thread but does anyone have any restaurant recommendations near the Raleigh-Durham airport? I'm visiting briefly, and want to try some southern bbq.

OffTheRack

Reaction score
Ok, there is definitely some really great food in the triangle, far better than just mediocre, and many of the places have already been mentioned. Magnolia Grill, Elaine's, The Lantern (written up in the Times), many places in Carborro and on East Franklin heading in that direction (around the Lantern and Elaine's. Probably one of the best, if not the best, areas for cuisine in the whole of the South.

Not necessarily true Southern food, but great food nonetheless. If you want some higher-end takes on Southern food, definitely try the sit down restaurant at A Southern Season, and the restaurant at the Carolina Inn. Also, unless its changed, I would highly recommend Squids.

In terms of gourmet bakeries, don't forget about Foster's Market down 86 either.

No one brought up the one great place for freak dancing either--the PDC (Players Dance Club). ALWAYS a good time, even if a little corny, and right in the middle of Franklin.

NoNothingGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by OffTheRack
Ok, there is definitely some really great food in the triangle, far better than just mediocre, and many of the places have already been mentioned. Magnolia Grill, Elaine's, The Lantern (written up in the Times), many places in Carborro and on East Franklin heading in that direction (around the Lantern and Elaine's. Probably one of the best, if not the best, areas for cuisine in the whole of the South.

Not necessarily true Southern food, but great food nonetheless. If you want some higher-end takes on Southern food, definitely try the sit down restaurant at A Southern Season, and the restaurant at the Carolina Inn. Also, unless its changed, I would highly recommend Squids.

In terms of gourmet bakeries, don't forget about Foster's Market down 86 either.

No one brought up the one great place for freak dancing either--the PDC (Players Dance Club). ALWAYS a good time, even if a little corny, and right in the middle of Franklin.

I am not trying to be mean, but a few people have mentioned Players.

Also, Squids is pretty terrible. I mean, it is okay for a random meal if you live in Chapel Hill, but I would never recommend it to someone visiting, especially if that person was from the Northeast.

Elaine's and Lantern are quality.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoNothingGuy
I am not trying to be mean, but a few people have mentioned Players.

Also, Squids is pretty terrible. I mean, it is okay for a random meal if you live in Chapel Hill, but I would never recommend it to someone visiting, especially if that person was from the Northeast.

I am usually down in CH over xmas and we usually buy fish to cook for the meal at Squid's. Last time we did the fish was not edible.

NoNothingGuy

Reaction score
This is an awful story that I am embarrassed to tell but I figure it might help some of you get through a long Thursday afternoon.

In undergrad - freshman year - I went to the Mexican restaurant on Franklin Street called Banditos. If you went to school there in the 1990s or early 2000's, you probably know about it. I am not sure if it is still around. It was the place across the underground alley from The Rat. Anyway, I was with a group of guys that I didn't know well. They were friends of a suite mate that talked me into going to dinner. Long story short, we got trashed and the manager started yelling at us. It was weird b/c he didn't kick us out, he just kept coming over and berating us. I was drinking so I am sure my side of the story is somewhat biased, but we all thought he was over reacting. It was a Tuesday night or something. Early, like 5:00 or so. The place was not crowded at all and we were just laughing and being loud, nothing major.

Anyway, after it happened a few times, a guy from out of town decided he wasn't going to put up with it anymore and proceeded to defecate in the booth. Right in the restaurant. Now, this was way beyond anything I thought people did, and still is. I was horrified. It was awful. I immediately got up and walked to the register to pay for my meal. I managed to get through my transaction with the manager before he realized something fishy was going on. I watched from the doorway as he discovered what had happened. The rest of the guys ran out and didn't pay.

Needless to say I did not accompany them wherever they went next. Even though I did not do it, I felt guilty about that for years... The thought of that guy having to clean it up. I never ate there again.

I took my suite mate to task for his idiot friends, but he just laughed every time it was mentioned.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's pretty funny. I wish that would happen in my presence the next time I'm drinking at a random restaurant.

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
I was there a few months back doing some video/motion graphic work for the Aveda Institute. I was slammed with work the entire week, but I did manage to grab a chicken biscuit across the street at Time-Out. It rules. Get one, or five.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I got back from Chapel Hill yesterday. I have to say it's a great town, gorgeous girls and fun bars. Where I went in two days: The crunkleton, west end wine bar, spankys, The recovery room, Top of the hill, East End Martini, PT's, Carolina Brewery. I think that's it unless I'm missing one or two more places.

Most dissapointing place? Allan & Sons, where we had lunch Saturday. My friend dug his bbq chicken but my bbq pork ribs really didn't do it for me. Not sure Carolina bbq just isn't my thing.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

NoNothingGuy

Reaction score
That is because you got ribs. Ribs are not Eastern NC barbecue. Hell, they are not barbecue at all. Pulled pork sandwich or pulled pork plate. That is all you order.

If you want ribs, go to Memphis. We should have told you this. You and your friend ordered wrong. It is our fault.

Did you happen to see if Player's was still around?

Also, I lived across the street from Time Out one year and ate there quite often. Sometimes four times a day. It is best when your sight is a little hazy from the drunk and you cannot see the roaches crawling through the macaroni and cheese.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoNothingGuy
It is best when your sight is a little hazy from the drunk and you cannot see the roaches crawling through the macaroni and cheese.

And you know you are going to get diarrhea anyway.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Player's is alive and well. I was open to checking it out briefly but my buddy wasn't particularly interested.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads