• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Views on Loro Piana?

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UK2004
http://www.essortment.com/vicunawoolwhat_rhwq.htm Do they get their Vicuna from these disgraceful means? Also are there concerns stil with Cashmere and Merino Wool on cruelty to animals that it is taken from?
Interesting that you post this. Colombo has a special label for their vicuna products that state that it was harvested legally. Obviously this is a serious problem with Vicuna, (although due to the relative abundance of cashmeres and wools I dont see it being a problem there)

UK2004

Reaction score
It's a shame as I love Italian clothing and my wool products are Merion and Cashmere. I saw a clip of some farmers in Australia doing unspeakable things to sheep to get their Merino wool production up, makes me feel very guilty if my wool has come from farmers using these practises.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulesing

That was what they showed on the video clip, very, very sad hopefully it will be totally outlawed in Australia too. The combing of cashmere is apparently not a very nice practise either.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UK2004
farmers in Australia doing unspeakable things to sheep .
blush.gif

sammy

Reaction score
Does anybody own or has tried on the Martin-gala coat? I'm considering picking one up this season and was wondering what the fit is like compared to their Roadster Villa D'Este jacket, which fits me like a glove.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sammy
What other options do you recommend? I have two of their Roadster jackets in cotton and storm system cashmere. They fit me like a bespoke jacket. I agree that the prices can be steep but I haven't found any other outerwear that compares to LPs jackets.

I don't think the outerwear is bad at all. I just don't tend to love it as much as others. I find that I prefer a lot of the Barbour stuff to Loro Piana, and the pricing is better.

I have also noticed recently, after being blind to it for years, that the cashmere sweaters are not nearly as good as my Scottish sweaters.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Most of my summer non-suit wardrobe comes from Loro Piana - great polos, fab linen shirts and trousers, chilled-out cotton and linen jackets. All in a variety of shades from muted to bright. Love their summer items.

They have some great winter jackets too - I have their Barrage coat which is casual, but still smart, and keeps you nice and toasty. Their Horsey, Icer and Roadster coats are very cool too. Great stuff.

I like their cashmere a lot, esp. the lightweight cashmere, and it has a wonderfully soft hand. But I have found it slightly fragile (though that may well be because I'm too lazy to hand-wash them and send them to the dry-cleaners).

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering who the maker of their sportcoats is. And what's their quality like.

Xunguila

Reaction score
I wear their jeans and like them.
Also bought a very good (but too expensive) panama hat.
Bought some shorts but was disappointed as, arriving home, found one button almost falling. Not acceptable at this price level.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LP is definitely a fabric maker first, and a clothing line second. My understanding is that they don't make clothes at all but have leveraged their (very strong) brand name by outsourcing production to various Italian makers.

The overcoatings -- especially the cashmeres and luxury fibers -- are among the very best on the market. I love their linen-cotton shirtings. People say wonderful things about their cashmere jacketings too.

The worsteds and other suitings are, in my opinion, seriously inferior to English-made goods.

Yep those linen cotton shirtings are great.

I'd tend to agree on the suitings but "The wave" is quite nice.

Giannis

Reaction score
I consider Loro Piana to be one of the brands with the best quality around, but with outrageous prices. It is in many cases more expensive than Hermes.

For me it is not only the quality but the style too, being exactly my taste. Unfortunately I can not afford to buy regurarely.

I have a very big cashmere scarf, that makes my other scarves (vuitton etc) looking like cheap ones. (although it is cheaper than the vuitton)

Also I bought a baby cashmere pullover which is sublime but I have never wore it, in fear of damaging it.

I hope they will stay the same after LVMH bought them.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also I bought a baby cashmere pullover which is sublime but I have never wore it, in fear of damaging it.

Now that you realize this, you realize that even if you destroy it on its first wear, that's a better value than not wearing it at all!

Wear it, and you might be surprised how durable it is. Plus, quick and proper hand wash can make cashmere bounce back big time.

Giannis

Reaction score
Now that you realize this, you realize that even if you destroy it on its first wear, that's a better value than not wearing it at all!

Wear it, and you might be surprised how durable it is. Plus, quick and proper hand wash can make cashmere bounce back big time.
You are right about it. I m just afraid because after I washed a cheap cashmere scarf it got like wool or merino in touch and feel. So same story with my louis vuitton and loro piana scarves, never washed, worn only a couple of times. ( the loro piana is much much better quality)

TRMay

Reaction score
http://www.essortment.com/vicunawoolwhat_rhwq.htm

Do they get their Vicuna from these disgraceful means? Also are there concerns stil with Cashmere and Merino Wool on cruelty to animals that it is taken from?

I'm pretty sure Loro Piana is a legal supplier of Vicuna and does not kill the animal to harvest its fiber. Here are some pictures of Pier Luigi Loro Piana at a traditional Vicuna harvest: http://www.erickbonnier-pictures.com/reports-travels/peru-vicunya-with-pier-luigi-loro-piana/

http://www.essortment.com/vicunawoolwhat_rhwq.htm

Do they get their Vicuna from these disgraceful means? Also are there concerns stil with Cashmere and Merino Wool on cruelty to animals that it is taken from?

Alpacas do not suffer from flystrike and so do not require any measures, like mulesing, to prevent it. I would bet that the same is true for Vicuna.

Last edited:

LucasFilms

Reaction score
Hard to beat the LP storm system jacket for sheer luxury. The cashmere storm system retains the soft hand of cashmere and provides wind/water protection; that's sheer genius. Granted they license this technology/fabric to other manufactures.

I have an Icer jacket and am most impressed with the extra add-on luxury touches that Loro Piana does. Like a little mink collar lining.

Which other manufactures use that cashmere storm system that provides water protection?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads