• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Veal

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes, and crown roast of pork! my favorite christmas dish. of course, we always had plenty of seasonal vegetables as well. she ate lots of squash.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Yuck. I really dislike turkey. One of the very few things I don't ever crave.
you really need to try that dry-brined turkey (aka, Judy-bird). flavor's great. of course, it still tastes like turkey, just more so.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bBoy JEe
Could you make a crown roast of prime rib?

theoretically ... if you had an oven the size of a vw.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Could you illuminate that for us? I'm genuinely curious. Nosu; I think the only way one could respectably eat meat from a quasi-moral standpoint is to not try to moralize it. All we can really do is hide under the shelter of evolution and tradition, which at least provides a fairly strong precedent of meat eating.
God commanded us to eat meat and not to eat (certain) insects or shrimp (actually... shrimp should be killed and left to rot as far as He is concerned). It's debatable whether He wants us to eat whales and dolphins or just kill them.
Originally Posted by coonky
Being vegan is easier than you think. Give peas a chance.
Perhaps the bitchiness associated with vegetarians/vegans is due to their increased estrogen...

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are so many quotes in this threak that I would like to sig it's silly.

There's an interesting irony in this discussion. The same awareness that allows us to find eating meat morally questionable and develop technology to provide nutrition without using animals if necessary or desired.... is the awareness that lets us derive more or less pleasure from eating one thing vs. the other, even though both might have the nutritional content required for sustenance.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yuck. I really dislike turkey. One of the very few things I don't ever crave.
come to think of it... me too.

And this new 'health' lobby has people convinced that ground turkey is actually much better for you than ground beef.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
come to think of it... me too. And this new 'health' lobby has people convinced that ground turkey is actually much better for you than ground beef.
Y'all are nuts. I love Thanksgiving dinner. I couldn't do it all the time. I eat turkey cold-cuts on occasion in an effort to be healthy... but a good roast turkey w/ stuffing and cranberry sauce and mashed potatoes/gravy - it's on my list for death row meals. Speaking of.... have we ever had a death row meals thread here?

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a former vegetarian and a happy carnivore now. I do not think that it is wrong to eat animals, and I buy free-range meat whenever possible. I believe strongly in humane meat production and am willing and able to pay more for it. Personally, I think that we should pay more attention to the situation of agricultural workers in this country.

A perfectly cooked veal chop is one of life's great pleasures, but I almost never eat veal now. Having seen some "humane veal" farms in the Berkshires, I just can't justify the meal. Seeing the confinement is troubles me.

That said, my threshold for ethical eating is mine and mine alone. Each of us has to decide how and what to eat.

Re turkey: I got pretty used to turkey schnitzel when I lived in Israel. I actually like a good roasted heritage bird.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Turkey is so often butchered it is no wonder people often don't like it. I will always love that crisp skin though... delicious. And turkey stock is fantastic. Purists may hate on this all they like: I love risotto made from turkey stock. YUM.

coonky

Reaction score
Disclaimer: In my posts, I only express my opinions, and in now way attempt to berate those who think otherwise.

Originally Posted by philosophe
I am a former vegetarian and a happy carnivore now. I do not think that it is wrong to eat animals, and I buy free-range meat whenever possible. I believe strongly in humane meat production...

You are inconsistent. A free-range chicken has less space to move around than a caged one. When the label says "free-range" it means that the chicken was not in an individual. Instead, it lived with a bunch of other chickens squished together in one big cage.

Originally Posted by gomestar
A particular person (who I cannot choose to extract from my life) became a vegan for a number of years. It was an awful experience to listen to her whine about the lack of vegan options whever we went out to eat, and to then sulk in her chair when the restaurant wouldn't prepare the food she decided to bring instead. She didn't berate us for ordering meat, thank god, but the situation still sucked.

She sounds like a pain **********. I'm usually able to find vegan options wherever I go, but on the rare occasion that I can't, I just say, "Oh well" and do my best. Besides, I'd rather go out for drinks than dinner. : )

She has started to eat some animal products again due to health reasons resulting from a vegan diet.

She was probably doing it wrong. You gotta eat lots of leafy greens and find a source of vitamin B12. Fortified soymilk works wonders.

A lot of things are easy now that we have new technologies. Most of them don't sound like a lot of fun, and veganism is at the top of the list.

As I said, it's easier than you think. You begin to appreciate a whole new palette when you become vegan. "Don't knock it 'till you try it."

Besides, what few inconveniences there are, I think they are worth it. To give you a sense for why they're worth it, I'll bring up a common example. Would you eat your dog? Surely your dog doesn't deserve to be treated the way factory-farmed animals are treated. If your dog doesn't deserve the pain, why should a pig, who's just as smart and feeling as a dog? We all intuitively understand that animals feel pain, but some choose to turn a blind eye to it. It's really sad.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find it interesting that veal has dropped in production by 85%. I guess it's due to it being a calf, but why does the public find the calf to be more "innocent" than the cow? My issue with veal would be the process. The calf being taken away from the mother as she reaches out to nurture it. They are permanently separated right after birth, never to see each other again, and taken to separate slaughterhouses where they will eventually be killed. The calves crave affection to the point of licking each other during feeding time before they eat because that's their only opportunity for contact. The scenario seems very disturbing to me.

Nosu; I think the only way one could respectably eat meat from a quasi-moral standpoint is to not try to moralize it. All we can really do is hide under the shelter of evolution and tradition, which at least provides a fairly strong precedent of meat eating.

Yeah, there's no need to moralize it. People can agree that it is immoral, even if they still choose to engage in it. I would like people's decisions to be informed ones and at the very least support better living conditions and treatment (though nearly impossible at such a large scale).

She has started to eat some animal products again due to health reasons resulting from a vegan diet.

B vitamins, protein, vitamin D and calcium should be the only things needed from other sources. No one should make any significant diet change without finding alternatives for nutrients.

Originally Posted by KitAkira
Perhaps the associated with vegetarians/vegans is due to their increased estrogen...

Could you provide info where it states that not eating meat or animal products will increase someone's estrogen levels?

coonky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nosu3
Could you provide info where it states that not eating meat or animal products will increase someone's estrogen levels?

A vegetarian/vegan has to find a protein source other than meat (or milk or eggs for vegans). Soybeans are one such common alternate source. Soybeans contain a lot of plant steroids, which some have suggested to cause an increase in human's estrogen production. However, from what little I know, the research behind this is shaky at best. I'm not worried.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coonky
Disclaimer: In my posts, I only express my opinions, and in now way attempt to berate those who think otherwise.

You are inconsistent. A free-range chicken has less space to move around than a caged one. When the label says "free-range" it means that the chicken was not in an individual. Instead, it lived with a bunch of other chickens squished together in one big cage.

You do understand that chicken do stick to one another anyway? Have you ever seen a live chicken? Free range chicken AFAIK means that they aren't immobilized with tubes in their beaks and other really hardcore industrial techniques...

As for the dog thing well I'd eat YOUR dog.

Superfluous Man

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the only way I'll eat turkey is if its fried, otherwise it's just a ****** bird. Certainly not on par with the likes of chickens or ducks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads