• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson/Styleforum/Thurston Bros slim fit Japanese double rider MTO

magicalporks

Reaction score
Whoa whoa whoa. Wasn't really interested in getting another leather, but if waxed cotton is an option...

What's the fabric/weight like on those?

Last edited:

rbnman

Reaction score

hi, could you also measure the jacket using TOJ method? (http://johncoppidge.tumblr.com/howtoorder). It would serve as a great reference point.

- length - take full body shot with shoes on to determine if its too short or long
- shoulders look fine
- chest looks fine. Could be trimmed a bit if you prefer
- sleeves could be ever so slightly slimmer
- waist - agree with you. Needs to be taken in.

rbnman

Reaction score
hi, could you also measure the jacket using TOJ method? (http://johncoppidge.tumblr.com/howtoorder). It would serve as a great reference point.

- length - take full body shot with shoes on to determine if its too short or long
- shoulders look fine
- chest looks fine. Could be trimmed a bit if you prefer
- sleeves could be ever so slightly slimmer
- waist - agree with you. Needs to be taken in.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Was going to do this yesterday but... Giants... :D Anyways, I received my fit jacket yesterday and had a chance to try it on. This is a size L (slim version). First 3 pictures are with it unzipped, 2nd 3 are zipped (sorry for the black jacket on black t-shirt... makes it hard to see where the lines end. I need some help/suggestions with the body. Waist is definitely too big and the jacket is possibly slightly too short but I'm not sure how much to adjust for each. Also, I was planning on getting this in dark brown color. Any suggestions? Or does someone know the post that shows the different leathers available for upgrade? For reference, using TOJ's method for measurements, I'm 6'1", 185lbs, Shoulders: 18"-18.5" P2P: 41", 42" Midsection: 32"-33" Waist: 34"-35"
i'd add enough length that it goes down to end at the top of your coin pocket. everything else looks good--the sleeves look maybe .5" long, but i expect they'll shorten a little once the sleeves on your final jacket get creased up. and once it's longer, the waist size may not be a problem anymore, and you've got those strap adjusters you can slim it down with anyway.

Surferbruce

Reaction score
I'd add 2 inches to the length, taper the waist an inch or two and call it good. I like the sleeve length. Upper back could lose a little too, but it depends on how you want it fit.

SloppyJoes

Reaction score

Slim Daredevil Size L:

Take these with a grain of salt.

Shoulders: 18"
Pit to Pit: between 22.25"
Midsection: 21"
Waist: 22"
Front Length: 22.5"
Back Length: 25.75"
Sleeve Length: 26"
Sleeve Width @ bicep 7"
Sleeve Width @ elbow: 7"
Sleeve Width @ cuff: 5" (zipped)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was going to do this yesterday but... Giants...
biggrin.gif

Anyways, I received my fit jacket yesterday and had a chance to try it on.

This is a size L (slim version).

First 3 pictures are with it unzipped, 2nd 3 are zipped

(sorry for the black jacket on black t-shirt... makes it hard to see where the lines end.

I need some help/suggestions with the body. Waist is definitely too big and the jacket is possibly slightly too short but I'm not sure how much to adjust for each.

Also, I was planning on getting this in dark brown color. Any suggestions? Or does someone know the post that shows the different leathers available for upgrade?

For reference, using TOJ's method for measurements,

I'm 6'1", 185lbs,
Shoulders: 18"-18.5"
Chest: 41", 42"
Midsection: 32"-33"
Waist: 34"-35"

I would go down to a ML, or even a M, and lengthen the jacket just a bit. Incidentally, what you call your "midsection" is actually your natural waist, The 34-35" is are your hips. Or, if you have wide shoulders and slimmer hips, you might even go for the M in the non-slim version, which has winder shoulders for the same body.

SloppyJoes

Reaction score
Incidentally, what you call your "midsection" is actually your natural waist, The 34-35" is are your hips.

Yes you're right. I was calling it whatever TOJ calls it. They call the hip area "waist" and the waist area "mid section".

http://johncoppidge.tumblr.com/howtoorder

It's a bit confusing... wasn't sure which one others are more familiar with so I just said TOJ measurements.

I think my main issue is the bottom of my rib cage sticks out more than normal so when I stand up straight, it kind of lifts up the front part of the jacket... which makes it seem shorter than it really is.

rbnman

Reaction score
Slim Daredevil Size L:

Take these with a grain of salt.

Shoulders: 18"
Pit to Pit: between 22.25"
Midsection: 21"
Waist: 22"
Front Length: 22.5"
Back Length: 25.75"
Sleeve Length: 26"
Sleeve Width @ bicep 7"
Sleeve Width @ elbow: 7"
Sleeve Width @ cuff: 5" (zipped)

Cheers. In the off chance we are able to adjust widths, waist could come down 20.5-20.75". For your height, front length of 23-23.25" should be plenty. But length is a very personal thing.

LA guys recommendation to come down to ML sounds good. You might get a slimmer waist by going down a size but you will also end up with slimmer chest and shoulders. Do you have space in those areas to come down? It might start to compromise on comfort.

AeroleathersTB

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Not exactly sure what's going on in this thread but who do I have to pay to get this -

This is the Portland jacket...it's $769.99 USD and there's a 3 month wait for it...if you'd like to purchase this, you can give us a call at (206) 550-3545 and we can get you going with a Vanson fit jacket to verify your sizing...

AeroleathersTB

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
We wanted to post the new Aero Slimfit Ridley up here. This jacket is available now with liner choices in excess of 700! This jacket is available in all of our leathers, including our Italian Vicenza horsehide and our Horween CXL Front Quarter Horsehide

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads