• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vans, small sizing?

Acipenser

Reaction score
Recently I bought some vans, but they did not fit.

I used the following chart:

US 10.0 - EU 43.0 28.0 CM
US 10.5 - EU 44.0 28.5 CM
US 11.0 - EU 44.5 29.0 CM
US 11.5 - EU 45.0 29.5 CM

Whereas I normally wear 9.5uk = 10.5us they did not fit me.
Whereas the chart says 28.5 cm japanese, I measured the inside of the shoe and only came till 28cm. Definately too short for somebody with 28-28,5 cm feet. Does vans shoe size run that small? Or is it common to wear them tight? Do you increase size compared to shoes (non-sneakers)?

I now doubt between sizing up a half or a full size.
Here they are not available locally, so I cannot try.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and return them to never be seen again unless you like looking like a 14 year old huntington beach surfer kid.

Acipenser

Reaction score
I own not a single sneaker. If I have to own one it is going to be a vans
smile.gif
. Just for these very sporty days it cannot do harm.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Acipenser
Recently I bought some vans, but they did not fit.

I used the following chart:

US 10.0 - EU 43.0 28.0 CM
US 10.5 - EU 44.0 28.5 CM
US 11.0 - EU 44.5 29.0 CM
US 11.5 - EU 45.0 29.5 CM

Whereas I normally wear 9.5uk = 10.5us they did not fit me.
Whereas the chart says 28.5 cm japanese, I measured the inside of the shoe and only came till 28cm. Definately too short for somebody with 28-28,5 cm feet. Does vans shoe size run that small? Or is it common to wear them tight? Do you increase size compared to shoes (non-sneakers)?

I now doubt between sizing up a half or a full size.
Here they are not available locally, so I cannot try.

Sneakers from real sneaker companies and running shoes generally run smaller than "designer" sneakers. For example, I wear a size 11 in most Adidas, Nike, and Vans sneakers, as well as a US 11 (usually marked 44.5) in running shoes from Brooks or Asic; but I wear a 43 in Neil Barrett's, Common Projects, and Martin Margielas, which translates into a 10. Not sure why, but this seems to be pretty common.

Acipenser

Reaction score
Ok thanks for info. I went for another pair and I sized 1,5 up from my UK size. We'll see
smile.gif

Acipenser

Reaction score
I received the pair today. Still too small.
they measure 30 cm on the outsole and 28,5 inside. I am EUR 43,5 in every shoes I had so far. 44 Is also fine. But these vans are 44,5 and they do not even fit lengthwise. Ah well....

I will not look for these shoes no more.
At least I wont look like a beach kid
smile.gif

PLaydice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WEAR THE SHOES! they are canvas and they will stretch around your feet for a perfect fit.
Im a us 11 but i but vans 10.5 for this reason. and dont wear socks either your sweat is what helps loosen them up around your feet. once they are comfortable put them in a pillow case and wash them in washer they will come out clean and soft. now you can wear them with socks without your feet sweat getting onto them+ they are well broken in by now. I treat my vans like a pair of jeans when people wear those in. enjoying how the sun bleaches certain parts of the shoe giving it a certain patina and charector is part of wearing these shoes. And you guys have no idea how many people wear vans In california. Its literally EVERYONE wearing these shoes from kids to thugs to rockers and people who do the GQ style thing.

Curious_George

Reaction score
I wear 11.5 US/10.5 UK in boots and dress shoes and 12 in vans (along with most other tennis shoes). I have wide feet too and vans are one of the few that fit pretty well straight out of the box. I've never had trouble sizing them....

Acipenser

Reaction score
The box says 29 cm japanese. 29 cm is what I measure if I measure the inside cavity and taking the curve of the sole into account as well. I guess thats how vans size them apparantly.
If I measure in a straight line it is something like 28,7.

I dunno if it is supposed to be like that, but for me it feels rather snug lengthwise with my feet at 28 cm. Width is ok though.

But all of my european shoes which are sized 9.5 measure inside 29.5 to 30 cm.
I have read once in some kinda shoe guide (no scientific reference
wink.gif
) that you need 1,5 cm to 2 cm aditional length. Which kinda works for me as well, if I check my shoe wardrobe. These vans would leave me with only 0,7- 1 cm which I dislike for now. I think I should have sized 1 full size up compared to my shoe size. Not sure I will re-order. I think I can survive without sneakers.

I canceled two orders for aditional vans and ordered some chelsea boots. I'll put a cowboy hat on and I will be cool too
wink.gif

Trendy Sing Sing

Reaction score
While were talking about vans. Anyone else kop from the satin pack.

Bsides

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Do yourself a favor and return them to never be seen again unless you like looking like a 14 year old huntington beach surfer kid.

what the hell is wrong with vans? I just bought some new white on white authentics today. Such a good summer shoe. And at 40 bucks, my pick for the cleanest, cheapest shoe anywhere.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads