• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Passes France In Wine Consumption

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
So, regarding Matt Kramer, I'm about to get some of his books on interlibrary loan. Would "Making Sense of Wine" do me any good? Or should I go straight for the Burgundy book?

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
China has grown from 40million cases per annum in 2004 to 126 million by 2009.
wow.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
So, regarding Matt Kramer, I'm about to get some of his books on interlibrary loan. Would "Making Sense of Wine" do me any good? Or should I go straight for the Burgundy book?

I think the first will be too basic for you.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I've been thinking about his question. It will be too basic for him in most ways, but if you are going to sell wine, it helps to be able to talk to your customers at that level.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i'm not so sure i'd agree. i think it's important for someone considering these books to understand that these are not your typical wine primers. most of that stuff is covered, but Kramer does a good job of undertaking wine in a cultural context ... kind of like the difference between Flusser's rules and that other guy who wrote that book about the suit. if you want strictly nuts and bolts, maybe zraly's books are better. but if you want to know why they're important, then kramer.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
... kind of like the difference between Flusser's rules and that other guy who wrote that book about the suit.

you mean "The suit" by Mr. Antongiavanni. He seems knowledgeable, I wish he would join StyleForvm.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

Originally Posted by iammatt
I've been thinking about his question. It will be too basic for him in most ways, but if you are going to sell wine, it helps to be able to talk to your customers at that level.

Originally Posted by foodguy
i'm not so sure i'd agree. i think it's important for someone considering these books to understand that these are not your typical wine primers. most of that stuff is covered, but Kramer does a good job of undertaking wine in a cultural context ... kind of like the difference between Flusser's rules and that other guy who wrote that book about the suit. if you want strictly nuts and bolts, maybe zraly's books are better. but if you want to know why they're important, then kramer.

Okay, cool. I guess I'll pick it up and give it a try at least. I assume that I'll understand/already know most if not all of the technical information in there, but I do kind of need to find a way to relate to people on a more personal level with wine. It's pretty easy in the shop to get me talking about yields and vine age and trellising, and sometimes I can see people's eyes gloss over when all they wanted was basic info on the wine.

In that regard, another good book on wine is "Wine and Conversation." It was recommended to me by holymadness.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
For you serious wine drinkers... How good is the quality of wine coming out of California?

Best in the world. Duh.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
You sir, have lost the right to refer to yourself as "Canadian."

I, sir, am Irish-Canadian. None of that sassenach-collaborating lingo for me ...
devil.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Picked up Making Sense of Wine and Making Sense of Burgundy yesterday. About halfway through the former, and I absolutely love it. His writing style is great, very easy to read. His bare-bones, no bullshit approach is really refreshing (even though written 22 years ago). I like it a lot. I can't wait for his surprisingly huge Burgundy book.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
matt knows as much about burgundy -- and understands as much -- as anyone i've ever met. that's a good thing and a bad thing.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Picked up Making Sense of Wine and Making Sense of Burgundy yesterday. About halfway through the former, and I absolutely love it. His writing style is great, very easy to read. His bare-bones, no bullshit approach is really refreshing (even though written 22 years ago). I like it a lot. I can't wait for his surprisingly huge Burgundy book.
If more people took his approach to wine, I truly believe that the wine we drink would be better.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
I, sir, am Irish-Canadian. None of that sassenach-collaborating lingo for me ...
devil.gif

You got that one back-asswards!

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
damn it, just as I took a "put the book down" approach, a book comes along about wine that everybody must read
plain.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
damn it, just as I took a "put the book down" approach, a book comes along about wine that everybody must read
plain.gif

This book goes along pretty well with a general "put the book down" approach to wine, if by "put the book down" you mean stop intellectualizing everything, step back, and just enjoy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads