• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Passes France In Wine Consumption

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What took so long?

March 15 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. passed France as the world's largest wine-consuming nation for the first time, lifted by its bigger population and an interest in wine-and-cheese culture among young Americans.

Wine shipments to the U.S. climbed 2 percent to 329.7 million cases last year, according to Gomberg, Fredrikson & Associates, a wine-industry consulting firm in Woodside, California. That compares with 320.6 million for France.

While the French still eclipse Americans in per-capita consumption, the U.S. wine industry is benefiting from a domestic population of almost 311 million people -- five times the size of France's -- and a surge of young people becoming interested in the drink. Marketers also are using social media to reach a new generation of consumers, said Jon Fredrikson, the firm's president.

"Wine is really gaining traction in the U.S. -- it's becoming an accepted part of everyday life," Fredrikson said in an interview. "That's a radical change over the past two decades."

The retail value of U.S. wine sales rose 4 percent to $30 billion in 2010, according to Gomberg Fredrikson. California's output accounted for 61 percent of the volume. The state's worldwide wine shipments climbed 2 percent to 241.8 million cases.

Prime Target

"With the U.S. being the biggest, it means we're a target for everyone in America and around the world that produces wine," Fredrikson said. "Everyone wants to be here."

The history of wine in France stretches back thousands of years, fostered by prime growing conditions, the drink's role in the Catholic Church and its popularity among all different social classes. The French drank about 14 gallons on average in 2008, the latest year with figures available from the Wine Institute, a trade group in San Francisco. That compares with 2.6 gallons for Americans.

Chardonnay was the best-selling varietal in the U.S. last year, with $2.03 billion in revenue, according to Nielsen Co., followed by cabernet sauvignon with $1.38 billion. Bottles priced at $20 or more rose the most last year, gaining 11 percent over 2009, though the biggest category of wine sales was the $3-to-$5.99 range, Nielsen said.

Pinot Noir

The fastest-growing varietals were pinot noir, riesling and sauvignon blanc, which all rose more than 9 percent, according to Nielsen. In terms of imports, wines from Argentina and New Zealand had the biggest gains, at more than 24 percent.

"If you look back 10 years ago, the on-ramp into the wine industry was white zinfandel. Now it's really not so much that case," said Dale Stratton, vice president of strategic insights for Constellation Brands Inc., the world's biggest maker of wine costing more than $5 a bottle.

The millennial generation -- consumers in their 20s and 30s -- are reaching for more traditional varietals and pricier bottles, he said.

"There's no question that the millennial consumer is participating in the category at a much greater level than previous generations," Stratton said. "The consumer is very much bringing wine into more occasions, and they are participating in the wine category in a more frequent basis."

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Good article; thanks for posting it.

As to why it took so long...don't forget, I was not born here and had to immigrate. Now that I'm here, US is #1 in consumption!

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
the biggest category of wine sales was the $3-to-$5.99 range, Nielsen said.

facepalm.gif

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For you serious wine drinkers... How good is the quality of wine coming out of California?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
For you serious wine drinkers... How good is the quality of wine coming out of California?
It ranges from horrible, to okay, to good, to very good, to world class, to way overpriced.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
My per capita consumption could beat any Frog's. I'm doing my part for the greater good!

+1. I seriously don't think it would be a good idea for me to try to take up any more slack for the rest of you MFers. You guys are going to have to start carrying your own weight. Kyle and I are maxxed out.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It ranges from horrible, to okay, to good, to very good, to world class, to way overpriced.

Just like France.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

for everyday <$20 bottles I never buy California since, IMO, france/Italy produces much better wine for the price.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What are some of the world class labels?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
What are some of the world class labels?
Merry Edwards, Peay, Sea Smoke, Diamond Creek, Lynmar, Williams Selyem, Hirsch, Sine Qua Non, Aubert, to name a few. Please note that world class often means overpriced--- in any country.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Merry Edwards, Peay, Sea Smoke, Diamond Creek, Lynmar, Williams Selyem, Hirsch, Sine Qua Non, Aubert, to name a few. Please note that world class often means overpriced--- in any country.

Gracias

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

oooh, kwilky. those are definitely big-names and in some cases very good. but i would definitely dispute sea smoke -- not nearly enough of a track record -- and diamond creek -- plenty of track record, but having had them up to 20 years old, never had one near maturity; who knows if they'll ever become drinkable? sine qua non makes really unusual wines, and i've had some good ones, but i don't know that i would put them in world class. mark aubert and merry edwards are great wine makers. and williams-sellyem did not fall part when burt and ed sold it, as many expected it would. i would probably add phelps (quality plus track record), maybe dunn, peter michael (former aubert), kalin, hanzell?, kistler ... i'm sure i'm missing probably twice as many as i've included, but that's an off-the-top-of-my-head listing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads