• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Urgent advice needed with Captoes leather *Creases*

GNToast

Reaction score
I recently purchased some nice black Oxford Captoes which just arrived today and after having tried them on, I used a shoehorn, and wearing them around the house for a little bit they just developed a crease!

Now I did notice something else while wearing them, my toe is an inch to an inch and a half away from the toe cap. I am a size 42 EU / 8 UK width F / 9 US width D.

Is this a sign of leather quality or is this natural? Even my shoe trees are an inch away from the toe cap. I attached an image with red boxes indicating the creases. Now this shoe is from TLB Artista and the leather is from Annonay and Charles F. Stead.

Attachments

• IMG_20200707_130158.jpg
    IMG_20200707_130158.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 110

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First off, don’t freak out. The creasing is normal as it is for any leather shoe.

does the show feel comfortable? Is it too loose? The shoe last may allow for an elongated toe but as long as the widest part of the shoe lines up correctly with your foot, that’s what matters most.

GNToast

Reaction score
The shoe feels comfortable, feels a little loose but I didnt tie it all the way.

Since I'm D width in NA whats the literal equivalent to UK/EU? Thought it was F.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shoe feels comfortable, feels a little loose but I didnt tie it all the way.

Since I'm D width in NA whats the literal equivalent to UK/EU? Thought it was F.

it depends on the maker. For example, for Crockett & Jones, E is the standard width and G the wider. Edward Green is similar but they also offer F which is wider than the standard.

a lot depends on the last as well.

GMcMillan

Reaction score
The creasing is natural for calfskin and is due to deformation of the molecular structure at points of flexion. I think full grain layer is less likely to form severe creasing due to the "grain" layer (uppermost) having the most dense fiber structure. Also, I have come to the conclusion that this creasing is worsened by finishes applied to the leather, as the rigid polymeric finishes, which are not naturally flexible, do not wear well and form their own irregular creases. Some tanneries apply finishes, and some shoe makers apply their own finishes. Exactly what this entails, I'm not sure, but I am pretty sure that it's near impossible to find full grain, aniline-dyed leather used for footwear that does not have some sort of surface finish. Heavily treated leather seems to form creases within creases (check out a pair of worn new-age Cole Haans, which seem to be mostly plastic). This is from my experience with stripping factory shoes and re-dying: Once completely stripped, there is less creasing. Shoe trees will neither remove nor prevent creasing regardless of what anyone says (creases may become less visible temporarily but will return upon wearing).

Shell cordovan is a non-creasing leather, but it forms "rolls," which some people hate, I'm sure. Contrary to popular belief, shell is not a "muscle membrane." It is a thick, dense dermal layer structure unique to equine skin and thickest over the rump.

You may know all of this already. Kind of just using this as an excuse to get some of my knowledge out there. My obsession with leather has led me to a own over 30 pairs of shoes and to read an academic textbook on leather chemistry. Unfortunately, I rarely get to talk about it in-depth.

Best.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The creasing is natural for calfskin and is due to deformation of the molecular structure at points of flexion. I think full grain layer is less likely to form severe creasing due to the "grain" layer (uppermost) having the most dense fiber structure. Also, I have come to the conclusion that this creasing is worsened by finishes applied to the leather, as the rigid polymeric finishes, which are not naturally flexible, do not wear well and form their own irregular creases. Some tanneries apply finishes, and some shoe makers apply their own finishes. Exactly what this entails, I'm not sure, but I am pretty sure that it's near impossible to find full grain, aniline-dyed leather used for footwear that does not have some sort of surface finish. Heavily treated leather seems to form creases within creases (check out a pair of worn new-age Cole Haans, which seem to be mostly plastic). This is from my experience with stripping factory shoes and re-dying: Once completely stripped, there is less creasing. Shoe trees will neither remove nor prevent creasing regardless of what anyone says (creases may become less visible temporarily but will return upon wearing).

Shell cordovan is a non-creasing leather, but it forms "rolls," which some people hate, I'm sure. Contrary to popular belief, shell is not a "muscle membrane." It is a thick, dense dermal layer structure unique to equine skin and thickest over the rump.

You may know all of this already. Kind of just using this as an excuse to get some of my knowledge out there. My obsession with leather has led me to a own over 30 pairs of shoes and to read an academic textbook on leather chemistry. Unfortunately, I rarely get to talk about it in-depth.

Best.

now doesn’t it feel better to get all of that off your chest?

Last edited:

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Best.

This is some quality content.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having your big toe that far from the end of the shoe seems like you've sized up considerably. I don't think you bought the right sized shoe, though if it is comfortable and feels good, who am I to say otherwise?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member