1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

So just to recap, there's 8 seersucker and purple jacket-hating white guys on the board, and something's gotta be done about it.
    oh, and SB.

1 person likes this.
  2. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Well-Known Member

Make that 9.

1 person likes this.
  3. Andy57

Andy57 Well-Known Member

Wait, what? I like seersucker. Purple jackets, I shall withhold commenting upon.

4. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

I agree with most of what you wrote after this, after all I think I've written pretty similar things here before, although I think you're in danger of exaggerating what others have said to make the point. I don't think anyone has suggested an approach that amounts to putting random things together.

5. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

Read in context, I think D is using "random" here in the sense of abstract objects without meaning beyond their shape and color. The view he is describing is not one that suggests picking items haphazardly, but picking them based on abstract principles based purely on the items as objects rather than things with cultural history. As if when @dieworkwear wears his "I HEART WHITE GIRLS" shirt he does so because of the way the bold stoicism of the "I" at the beginning contrasts perfectly with the salacious "S" at the end.

2 people like this.
  6. Spearman

Spearman New Member

Hi guys, long-time lurker, first-time poster in need of some advice.

I've got the basics covered in terms of solid suits, and would like to branch out into patterns. I was quite intrigued by the idea of the BlazerSuit (I travel a lot, so flexibility is a plus), and so I was wondering whether the blue houndstooth or PoW fabric in the Lesser tropical would work if worn on its own (say, with Fresco trousers). Pictures courtesy of Merino bros.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

This depends... What is your skin tone?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
    4 people like this.
  8. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Like I said before, I think skin tone probably matters. But it's pretty far down the list of considerations.

If you're choosing between two similar shades of brown, it's probably true that one shade is more flattering against the skin. But if you're choosing between purple and brown, your first consideration shouldn't be "which is more flattering" but something higher up, such as "what cultural messages do these send?" That's not a question most us have to ask because most of us stay within a narrow range of colors that all say the same thing. But if you stray outside of that, it's worth considering what new things you're communicating.

Don't want this to sound like some kind of CBD argument against people dressing boldly. I'm just saying that sometimes this side of the forum takes discussions of dress in this hyper-analytical, pseudo-scientific way, when a lot of times, style is a bit more fluid than that. It's more akin to language than engineering.

3 people like this.
  9. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

That sort of POW is definitely not a BlazerSuit fabric. Clearly a suiting. I'd be reluctant to do the blue houndstooth as well since I think smaller scale houndstooth is best for suits and the larger scale stuff for odd jackets, but I think it would be less egregious than the POW.

2 people like this.
  10. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

Some of us liked it, some of us didn't. It all depended on if you're trying to pass.

1 person likes this.
  11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I'm always just amazed at how many Style Forumers have goatees. We are supposed to be arbiters of good taste and I meet so many of you fools with goatees. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

8 people like this.
  12. dieworkwear

2 people like this.
  13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

They don't tell you the weights. Also, they are non-selvedge fabrics. LAME!!!

14. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Well-Known Member

So your basis on choosing a sport coat is "what cultural message does this send?"

15. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

That's a bit reductive, lordsuperb, and it seems like you're being willfully obtuse. If you need a one-line summary, I think it's closer to "Make sure your clothes are sending the message you intend to send."

1 person likes this.
  16. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Well-Known Member

17. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Well-Known Member

Bit late to the party but I'd obviously go purple.

Heck make it a full suit for those times when you need a little something extra.

18. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Well-Known Member

19. dieworkwear

20. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Well-Known Member

This argument cracks me up.

Anyone whose clothes fit will stand out so why not wear a safety orange suit?!?

How is it not clear that standing out as someone who cares about his appearance is very very different from standing out for dressing like a clown?