• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Renton

Reaction score

Since all these other projects seem to be going well, I guess I'll tilt at a windmill too. As I mentioned before, I've been having a hard time finding a nice flannel for trousers in a kind of light sand or tan color as in the picture below from Vox's blog:

http://www.voxsartoria.com/image/55814655923

Ideally I'd like a little less yellow and a little more brown.

These come close to the color I'm looking for:

http://www.howardyount.com/collections/wool-pants/products/super-120s-fall-flannel-tan

This color also, although this is a twill, and a little darker than I'd want:

http://www.nomanwalksalone.com/index.php/beige-wool-twill-trousers-2216.html

but I'd like to do something heavier, maybe 15oz or so. I prefer woolen flannel to worsted, so that would be my first choice. Seems like Fox would be the right choice for the job. I'm open to suggestions though. Just trying to gauge interest generally before investing a ton of time in it.

I think flannel in such a color would work well as a suit too, which I may consider myself. But the principle use would probably be as odd trousers. So, who's interested?

Edit: Since a few projects are going on at once, when expressing interest, either quote this post (and spoiler because of its length) or say, "in for a trouser length/whatever of unbel's flannel" - I will favorite posts that I think refer to my project to acknowledge that I saw them.

interested for a trouser length or two

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

SF member badsha can hook you up w/ Del Fino.

M&E flannels are 13oz., and very attractively priced.

Ah ok I remember the ones now. I looked at the Del Finos and they weren't the right color. I'll contact M&E and try to get a swatch, but I'd like to get a cloth that's lighter in color and heavier in weight.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Holland & Sherry Dandy Book 863025

Scabal Panache Book 500970

Loro Piana Flannels Book15340

Umberto Durando Winter Flannels 154801/360

All are flannels or have a mill finish, all are different weights

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Holland & Sherry Dandy Book 863025

Scabal Panache Book 500970

Loro Piana Flannels Book15340

Umberto Durando Winter Flannels 154801/360

All are flannels or have a mill finish, all are different weights

Thanks much, Despos. Anybody have pictures and/or details on these?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Unbel, I recently got something from Steed. It's a bit darker than what I preferred but still nice. If you find your cloth, or have it made up, let me know. I'm also interested in getting something close to what would approximate a light khaki color.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ah ok I remember the ones now. I looked at the Del Finos and they weren't the right color. I'll contact M&E and try to get a swatch, but I'd like to get a cloth that's lighter in color and heavier in weight.

I strongly suggest you try and look at the DFs in-person. The pics of the light-brown / oatmeal flannels posted was way off imo. They are spectacular irl.

sprout2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the status of Marling and Evans and their old collections? You used to be able to browse their lines through Reid & Taylor, but since the latter has gone into Chapter 11 or whatever they call it over there, the M&E site has become its own thing with a new design. Do they still have their old saxony tweeds and plaids in their books?

KyleT

Reaction score
Dugdale Bros' New Fine Worsted vs Minnis Fresco vs Smith's Finmeresco, which one of these would you choose to make your summer/tropical suit?

mactire

Reaction score
What is the status of Marling and Evans and their old collections? You used to be able to browse their lines through Reid & Taylor, but since the latter has gone into Chapter 11 or whatever they call it over there, the M&E site has become its own thing with a new design. Do they still have their old saxony tweeds and plaids in their books?

Marling & Evans have parted brass rags with Reid & Taylor but if you ring them up they will check what stock they have at present. At the moment they are re-weaving a lot of stuff as far as I understand it and are launching a new stock collection in February.

Websites:
http://www.marlingandevansltd.co.uk/ also t/a http://www.englishweavers.co.uk/

mactire

Reaction score
Just bumping this and those who had originally mentioned their interest in participating earlier.

Apparently we would need to have it shipped to someone in Europe as Breanish is unable to ship directly to the US as a result of their distribution agreements.

Any European takers willing to organize? I believe it would be a pretty straight re-run of the previous order so no need for test swatches, etc.

A work around I often use is to organise a courier pick-up from the UK address. To get the best price on economy delivery to the US, you might have to ask the mill to lap the cloth for you [i.e. folded in half on thin cardboard aka a lap-board], its certainly worth a shot. Courier booking companies offer quoting services on ebay as well, see if Breanish have a warehouse on the mainland as that will reduce costs too.

Del Fino I don't know how to buy. The M&E A1 is closest, but I'd like still lighter in color. Do you know the weight on the M&E though?

M&E are c. 350g but they will weave to order as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads