• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

GHo

Reaction score
need some help with boots - looking for something that's mid-calf, maybe a buckle, zip up side (?), stylish.

not even sure where to start. looked at some frye's but I know there are better choices out there.

thanks for the help.

maybe something along the lines of this:

Frye Phillip Cognac

Last edited:

cxeq

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm about to enter uni/college and this means a departure from having to wear the same uniform every day. As such, I'm going to need to buy some new clothes, pretty much a new wardrobe, as previously I have pretty much relied on this uniform to abscond without style. In the last few days I've bought a nice Harrington style jacket and I already have a bunch of stuff, but I am hoping to throw out all the dead weight and replace it with new stuff.

I'm in Australia (need international shipping that isn't a ripoff), and I'm a student, so I'm looking at pretty cheap stuff in general (this is a big requirement) and mainly internet shopping as I've had a look in real life already. At the moment I'm looking for 'the basics', what everyone needs, but I'm not too sure where to start.

All recommendations, of items, websites or directions I should take are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

personone

Reaction score
Trying to find the perfect windbreaker over a lightweight hoodie; like in Jan's GQ.

Can't find a windbreaker in tall sizes. Anywho, is there like a basic idea/rules for layering clothes?

chiggah

Reaction score
Looking for a dark coloured black or charcoal scarf to go with a TOJ double rider jacket and brown bomber

Any recommendations ?

kilgore

Reaction score
looking for a nice grey shawl-collar cardigan, preferably without pockets. i'd like one that's great quality wise and yet simple and versatile as it'll be my first cardigan purchase...willing to spend $100-200 so any suggestions about which brands to look at would be much appreciated!

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

need some help with boots - looking for something that's mid-calf, maybe a buckle, zip up side (?), stylish.
not even sure where to start. looked at some frye's but I know there are better choices out there.
thanks for the help.
maybe something along the lines of this:

Frye Phillip Cognac

Are you looking for engineer's boots in particular? What purpose are they for? If you mean to actually go around riding/stomping around in them you should be staying away from anything but places that sell to the military/patrolman.

Hi! I'm looking for a non-standard peacoat, any suggestions?

You'll have to be more specific. Just what kind of 'non-standard' are you looking for? TOJ makes a very good peacoat and you can tweak the fit beforehand. Otherwise, Epaulet also has a few peacoats with shawl lapels if that's up your alley.

Hey guys, I'm about to enter uni/college and this means a departure from having to wear the same uniform every day. As such, I'm going to need to buy some new clothes, pretty much a new wardrobe, as previously I have pretty much relied on this uniform to abscond without style. In the last few days I've bought a nice Harrington style jacket and I already have a bunch of stuff, but I am hoping to throw out all the dead weight and replace it with new stuff.
I'm in Australia (need international shipping that isn't a ripoff), and I'm a student, so I'm looking at pretty cheap stuff in general (this is a big requirement) and mainly internet shopping as I've had a look in real life already. At the moment I'm looking for 'the basics', what everyone needs, but I'm not too sure where to start.
All recommendations, of items, websites or directions I should take are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Check out the uniqlo thread, find a proxy. Depending on your price range there are a few boutiques I know of in Sydney that sell some high end denim among other things. PM for details if you're willing to go for Strike Gold or Momotaro and want to be able to try them on first.

Trying to find the perfect windbreaker over a lightweight hoodie; like in Jan's GQ.

Can't find a windbreaker in tall sizes. Anywho, is there like a basic idea/rules for layering clothes?

A windbreaker is a casual jacket, can't expect them to come in odd sizes or proportions save maybe Rick Owens. It's best to use your eyes and exercise your own aesthetic judgement. You'll get better at it as you gain more experience and develop your own taste.

Looking for a dark coloured black or charcoal scarf to go with a TOJ double rider jacket and brown bomber
Any recommendations ?

How much are you willing to spend? What material are you looking at? If it's under $100 you can pretty much go to any high street store. Otherwise, try this.

http://www.mrporter.com/Shop/Accessories/Scarves

looking for a nice grey shawl-collar cardigan, preferably without pockets. i'd like one that's great quality wise and yet simple and versatile as it'll be my first cardigan purchase...willing to spend $100-200 so any suggestions about which brands to look at would be much appreciated!

Epaulet has some great knits out. If you're willing to go a bit higher you can go to Mr Porter and look through the knits there. A pocketless cardigan may be difficult to find however.

89andy

Reaction score
need some brown boots to go with my soon to be here TOJ brown A2 ... will usually be wearing khaki chinos or APC PS (strong taper so not all boots work) any suggestions??

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ktrp

Reaction score
I'd personally NOT get a messenger bag ... even though I use one all the time.

But I get compliments on mine sometimes, its made by Roots. They're in your price range anyway.

ggoofer

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend where to look for some slim to skinny wool pants? e.g. similar to N&F skinny guys in cut (but higher rise is OK or even preferable)

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone recommend where to look for some slim to skinny wool pants? e.g. similar to N&F skinny guys in cut (but higher rise is OK or even preferable)

There are so many options it isn't funny. Epaulet has a massive range of fabrics to choose from, and Incotex is the perennial favourite at MC. All the affiliates will have at least one brand that does trousers at differing price points. If you want or need MTM, hit up Thick as Thieves for a pair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads