• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toronto or Vancouver? Where should I live?

Avocat

Reaction score
And so, T.O having been eliminated, with the choice now being as b/w Calgary and Van (and the subject of the Leafs having come up), I thought I'd share the following (tongue-firmly-in-cheek):

An elderly Toronto woman wrote to Mr. Ballard, the owner of the Toronto Maple Leafs (as he was then), explaining how she'd been a fan of the Maple Leafs all her life, and that her only dying wish was to see a Stanley Cup worthy game. Touched by her letter, Mr. Ballard wrote her back. He thanked her for being a loyal Leafs’ fan and enclosed for her a hockey ticket to a Flames vs. Canucks game, along with a plane ticket.

@1UP:
sorry for the hockey humour (couldn't help it), and fingers are crossed for you. As b/w Van and Cowtown, do you yourself have any preference? Just curious.

L_Driver

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Avocat
And so, T.O having been eliminated, with the choice now being as b/w Calgary and Van (and the subject of the Leafs having come up).

If we're putting suggestions based on hockey teams then I say forget them all and move to Detroit. Red Wings are #1

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Avocat
And so, T.O having been eliminated, with the choice now being as b/w Calgary and Van (and the subject of the Leafs having come up), I thought I'd share the following (tongue-firmly-in-cheek):

An elderly Toronto woman wrote to Mr. Ballard, the owner of the Toronto Maple Leafs (as he was then), explaining how she'd been a fan of the Maple Leafs all her life, and that her only dying wish was to see a Stanley Cup worthy game. Touched by her letter, Mr. Ballard wrote her back. He thanked her for being a loyal Leafs' fan and enclosed for her a hockey ticket to a Flames vs. Canucks game, along with a plane ticket.

@1UP:
sorry for the hockey humour (couldn't help it), and fingers are crossed for you. As b/w Van and Cowtown, do you yourself have any preference? Just curious.

Well all my friends and most of my family are in Calgary, but I've been in Alberta all of my life so I'm really itching for a change.

I have quite a few friends in Vancouver, and I've always admired the city, so it'd be nice to head out there. I do agree with what people have said, that for future career prosperity Vancouver might not be the best choice, but I'll most likely work for a couple years and do my MBA at SFU then make my way down to San Fran or NYC where the rest of my family is.

All I can really say at the moment is that I'm pretty unhappy with my job/location at the moment, and only good friends are keeping me sane at this point. I really hope I can get this job!

Thanks again friends, if I do make way to either of the cities I'd love to get a drink or something with SF members!

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L_Driver
If we're putting suggestions based on hockey teams then I say forget them all and move to Detroit. Red Wings are #1

Yeah where the hell did Cleary come from lately, he's ripping **** up..

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
Seriously man? Why (don't I)just type "I'm a douchebag lawyer" over and over again... just embarassing.
A little sensitive there bra?. I think there's a valid point there - i.e., that working 100 hours a week as a douchebag lawyer isn't all there is in life. Though there was arguably no need for the "douchebag" descriptor.

ALFAMALE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Just because someone frequents nice places, doesn't mean ****. I am simply pointing out it's marsupialed to use Bourdain as the example for your argument of Vancouver dining just because he did an episode on the city; especially on a forum where he is not the most well-liked. If the discussion was on Yelp! or some Foodie forum, then yes it would have been good to post a Bourdain clip, but not necessarily here. I am a big Bourdain fan, but I am realistic.

Every city has a handful of good restaurants, and Vancouver does as well. But it's incomparable to Toronto just by the sheer size difference of the city and population alone.

The lack of sunshine in the winter really makes some Vancouverites cranky, huh? Go smoke a bowl or something, Jesus Christ. Not even. We're both from the west side. The dude's just got his panties in a bunch after I pointed out it's not supportive of Vancouver cuisine to use Anthony Bourdain as an example of the quality of food in Vancouver, considering Bourdain is relatively hated around these parts.

ffffuuuu.gif
As I explained earlier.....Bourdain was a chef at one of the best brasseries in NYC..... he frequents and gets to eat at places like Le Bernadin and L20 for free, when everyone else has to pay 500 bucks. So yea, his opinion does mean ****...He has a TV show about the food culture and cool **** in a city, it may not be helpful for someone that lives in the city, thats because its for people that have never been to that city... The only person around these parts that seems to dislike Anthony is you.

Toronto has more people.. more people = more restaurants, thats great, but all I was trying to get thru is the food here doesn't suck..."The restaurants aren't the greatest" (Avocat).

Sonick has lost all his Vancouver/Bourdain privileges, you can move to toronto and watch jamie oliver.

wow, we really must be more passionate about food than Toronto, why else would Vancouverites have a foodie war on sf...

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ALFAMALE
ffffuuuu.gif
As I explained earlier.....Bourdain was a chef at one of the best brasseries in NYC..... he frequents and gets to eat at places like Le Bernadin and L20 for free, when everyone else has to pay 500 bucks. So yea, his opinion does mean ****...He has a TV show about the food culture and cool **** in a city, it may not be helpful for someone that lives in the city, thats because its for people that have never been to that city... The only person around these parts that seems to dislike Anthony is you.

Toronto has more people.. more people = more restaurants, thats great, but all I was trying to get thru is the food here doesn't suck..."The restaurants aren't the greatest" (Avocat).

Sonick has lost all his Vancouver/Bourdain privileges, you can move to toronto and watch jamie oliver.

wow, we really must be more passionate about food than Toronto, why else would Vancouverites have a foodie war on sf...

Both of you are very knowledgeable in the subject, thanks for invoking some good "food" for thought. Now kiss and make up
smile.gif

dtk_King

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coeur de pirate
honestly dude, i would recommend it to continue living in anywhere in canada. If you really want real-life exprience, Vancouver isn't the place to get it. If you do have the means to go down to the states, might as well start ASAP. i lived in Vancouver my whole life and i hate it. there is nothing there. Party scene is lame, people are literally depressed with SAD, plus you got to pay that marsupial 15% tax.

the only time that vancouver is actually worth checking out is during the summer.

Well the Skiing/snowboarding gig here is nice (if you're into that). Vancouver is a gorgeous city, but I am personally convinced that is all it has going for it.

Originally Posted by Doxe
In Van I felt out of place wearing a suit and tie. In TO, wearing a suit and tie is more acceptable.

I've lost count how many times random strangers will ask me if I am from Toronto, just because I like to wear suits.

Originally Posted by Doxe
I found it very easy to meet women in Vancouver for the simple fact that very few people living in Vancouver are actually from Vancouver. Most people in the city would gladly join a social network. Plus, many social activities in Vancouver are activity based, (i.e., Ultimate, salsa dancing, running clubs, etc.) so there are fewer economic barriers to having an active social life than in TO where most entertainment is consumption based (i.e., eating and drinking).

Most importantly, Vancouverites are more relaxed than people in other cities. Anyone who is able to carry on a simple pleasant conversation and can hang at the occasional vegetarian restaurant will do well.

Vancouver is an incredibly clique-ish city, which I would imagine causes visitors to feel isolated and lonely. So yes, they have little to keep them from joining social networks.

As far as I am concerned, locals are way too ******* comfortable with their own lives. A slice of discomfort is a prerequisite for really appreciating the full flavour of life. People in Vancouver live, work, and play under this delusional bubble of security, and I think that's why everyone is so relaxed. Then again, it could be that stanky stanky BC bud
teacha.gif

dtk_King

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1up
All I can really say at the moment is that I'm pretty unhappy with my job/location at the moment, and only good friends are keeping me sane at this point. I really hope I can get this job!

I know quite a few people who are convinced Vancouver is an incredibly lonely city. A fulfilling career may help you feel happier, but it is hardly an appropriate substitute for the intimacy in social relationships that all humans fundamentally need.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I grew up in Vancouver and have visited Toronto on several occasions, plus I have friends there who have been to both. The following recommendations should apply whether you choose to live in downtown proper or in the outlying suburbs.

Toronto is better if you are into metropolitan life---museums, galleries, clubs, etc. Not to say Vancouver's horrible in these areas. Vancouver's just smaller. To this effect you'll find Toronto is the centre of the universe in Canadian media and it really is a hub. Of course, you will keep hearing about what a "world class" place it is since Canadians are inherently insecure and compare ourselves with anything bigger. But I digress---Toronto is a great place where you should find everything you want to look for. If it's not in the GTA, you won't find it anywhere else in Canada. In that case you would just take a short flight over to any of the major US cities. Also, I am convinced that while Vancouver has fitter women (many of the tiny petite Asian variety), Toronto has more diversity in that the mixed women are very attractive.

Meanwhile, Vancouver's small size can also be a good thing. The public transit's great for the most part. If you like to be outdoors and active there are lots of options within a 1 hour transit or drive. You also don't need a car to go everywhere as is the case in the GTA. And---I cannot stress this enough---Vancouver/Richmond has the BEST authentic Chinese food (at least Cantonese food) in North America. I have been to many places and I can say this without any hesitation. Vancouver has a better hockey team, though anything the city does will be through the tinted lens of the eastern-centric Canadian press (with good reason, as they have most of the population). Vancouver's a slam-dunk if you can afford it. Otherwise, everything is more expensive and like the US, the west coast is generally isolated from the rest of the country. But don't let that expense deter you. If you are very responsible with your money you will still have lots of fun while keeping an eye on your savings.

I can provide substantially more details if you'd like. For now, I thank anyone who took the time to read through what I've already typed at length.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads