• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toronto or Vancouver? Where should I live?

ALFAMALE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
baldy[1].gif
not helping the cause, here...

lol, don't move to Vancouver because you have to deal with douches like this^.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Officer Of The Watch
I don't mind the bus system in TO, the subway isn't bad either. However, you make a valid point about those camrys. It's always a camry! I dated a girl from Newmarket, that was hell of a drive sometimes. Damn you 400 North. My family lives near Sudbury now so when I fly into TO I sometimes make the drive up there, like I will be doing this weekend.

There are bad drivers everywhere, but the one thing that drove me nuts in Montreal was the fact you couldn't make a left turn pretty much everywhere!

hamilton is even worse,half the city is one way streets

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
hamilton is even worse,half the city is one way streets

If you are new to the area, those one-ways are hell. Once you know them, they are awesome.
inlove.gif

As for the OP, I can only say this -- I don't know anybody who moved to the Left Coast that came back.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ALFAMALE
lol, don't move to Vancouver because you have to deal with douches like this^.
Thin skinned are we? I am a big Bourdain fan, but it's well known that he isn't the go-to guy when it comes to actual 'fine dining' and is regularly snubbed here; so having him eating a Japadog (however delicious) as an argument that Vancouver has "great restaurants" is just embarassing to the city. Grow a pair AlfalfaMale.

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
OMG so true! EVERY year! HA!
Maybe my friends are cynics, but they spend every pre-season trying to figure out which team to support once the Leafs are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs in November. By the way, didn't the OP say that the choices are now Calgary and Vancouver? Surely the question is now rhetorical.

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrGimpy
Maybe my friends are cynics, but they spend every pre-season trying to figure out which team to support once the Leafs are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs in November.

By the way, didn't the OP say that the choices are now Calgary and Vancouver? Surely the question is now rhetorical.

Yeah, perhaps I should have edited the original post to update that...but I AM enjoying the discussions here!

If anyone's wondering, I hate my job and the position I'm applying for seems like a perfect fit for me - so I'm really hoping I get it!

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doxe
You can live, but you will never prosper. The cost of buying in Van is off the charts. I could make $160K a year in Van at BigLaw and I'd be working poor if I decided to buy. I can make $275 at BigLaw TO. Go to Van for fun, but go to TO for prosperity.
As for Bawlin's comments, who in Van has $100K down? I know working lawyers in Van who are house rich and cash poor. If you want to talk numbers, look at the salary to cost per sq. ft. in Van.

This is essentially why I left.
Originally Posted by bawlin
Prosperity /= working 100 hours a week as a douchebag lawyer.
Seriously man? Why not just type "I'm a complete moron" over and over again... just embarassing.

L_Driver

Reaction score
While I do love Toronto, I would vote for Vancouver. Being out on the West seems like a better option, personally, but I don't know your tastes. Plus you are near Cali, Washington and Seattle. Think of the hiking and fresh seafood!

Plus, if you do go to Vancouver you can visit Wild Island. I do some work with Lexus Magazine and think you'd be interested in checking out an article they recently did. Just to give you better insight to some things around there.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...ld-Island.html

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomgirl
Honestly, if you like Calgary, Toronto is like Calgary on steroids. You could even say Calgary tries really hard to be Toronto Jr. I know this because I'm also from Alberta and currently living in Toronto. I just find Vancouver's vibe isn't as comfortable to me as Toronto's, but both are interesting cities. Vancouver is definitely more aesthetically pleasing, as well.
I've never heard this before, what exactly do you mean? Either Calgary or Toronto has changed massively since the last time I was in either if that's the case.

ALFAMALE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Thin skinned are we? I am a big Bourdain fan, but it's well known that he isn't the go-to guy when it comes to actual 'fine dining' and is regularly snubbed here; so having him eating a Japadog (however delicious) as an argument that Vancouver has "great restaurants" is just embarassing to the city. Grow a pair AlfalfaMale.
We have plenty of fine dinning Restaurants in Vancouver..., and Bourdain is known for frequenting 3 Michelin star joints to Japadog. Anthony may have only been the chef at one of the best brasseries in nyc http://leshalles.net/brasserie/, but he knows fine dinning, one of his closest friends is Eric ripert(Le Bernadin ***), that may tell you something... He went to Tojo's, Cioppino's and Vij's.... some of the best restaurants in Canada(all in vancouver). Maybe if you had watched a little bit before you commented, you wouldn't look like such a ******* moron... Is that you in your avatar..? No wonder you are completely oblivious to any of the real restaurants in Vancouver...You are just embarrassing to the city.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ALFAMALE
We have plenty of fine dinning Restaurants in Vancouver..., and Bourdain is known for frequenting 3 Michelin star joints to Japadog. Anthony may have only been the chef at one of the best brasseries in nyc http://leshalles.net/brasserie/, but he knows fine dinning, one of his closest friends is Eric ripert(Le Bernadin ***), that may tell you something... He went to Tojo's, Cioppino's and Vij's.... some of the best restaurants in Canada(all in vancouver). Maybe if you had watched a little bit before you commented, you wouldn't look like such a ******* moron... Is that you in your avatar..? No wonder you are completely oblivious to any of the real restaurants in Vancouver...You are just embarrassing to the city.
Just because someone frequents nice places, doesn't mean ****. Yes, I've seen the entire episode, along with every other of his 100+ episodes, and have read all of his books. I know all about Tojos, and Cioppinos, and Vij's (I bought my current car from the previous Sous Chef of Cioppinos, you can see him in that episode). I am simply pointing out it's marsupialed to use Bourdain as the example for your argument of Vancouver dining just because he did an episode on the city; especially on a forum where he is not the most well-liked. If the discussion was on Yelp! or some Foodie forum, then yes it would have been good to post a Bourdain clip, but not necessarily here. I am a big Bourdain fan, but I am realistic. Every city has a handful of good restaurants, and Vancouver does as well. But it's incomparable to Toronto just by the sheer size difference of the city and population alone. The lack of sunshine in the winter really makes some Vancouverites cranky, huh? Go smoke a bowl or something, Jesus Christ.

w.kevin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by L_Driver
While I do love Toronto, I would vote for Vancouver. Being out on the West seems like a better option, personally, but I don't know your tastes. Plus you are near Cali, Washington and Seattle. Think of the hiking and fresh seafood! Plus, if you do go to Vancouver you can visit Wild Island. I do some work with Lexus Magazine and think you'd be interested in checking out an article they recently did. Just to give you better insight to some things around there. https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...ld-Island.html
Those pictures are amazing. Thanks for the link! WTF @ this foodie catfight..

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.kevin
Those pictures are amazing. Thanks for the link!

WTF @ this foodie catfight..

it was bound to get ugly... westside vs eastside
EASTSIDE EASTSIDE EASTSIDE!!!!!!!!!

tomgirl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
I've never heard this before, what exactly do you mean? Either Calgary or Toronto has changed massively since the last time I was in either if that's the case.

Yea, I'm pretty sure the jealousy westerners have over Torontonians in particular mixed with the oil boom and Calgary being the epicentre of business for that have accelerated its metropolitan growth in the past couple of years. I personally think it's changed a lot. It's definitely a wannabe version of Toronto (and much younger), but I really do think someone who enjoys Calgary would be more comfortable in Toronto than Vancouver.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.kevin
WTF @ this foodie catfight..

Not even. We're both from the west side. The dude's just got his panties in a bunch after I pointed out it's not supportive of Vancouver cuisine to use Anthony Bourdain as an example of the quality of food in Vancouver, considering Bourdain is relatively hated around these parts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads