• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top Chef

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem with Carla is that although she appears to be a solid chef, knowing when to do simple dishes and just making them taste great (as per the judges), I just don't see her as innovative, creative or pushing the envelope in the culinary world. Assuming she wins it all, she seems the type that, moreso than any other past winner, would just slink into obscurity, open up a small restaurant back home and just make great tasing home cooking. Based on what she's done on the show (besides the few solid dishes, bad desserts, etc.), she doesn't appear to be anything close to the next big thing.

But I suppose that could be the whole point - she could be, but we juts don't know, and that's what Top Chef is suppose to uncover. I'm just not convinced.

Edit: Did I ever mention Carla looks like a freakin' Giraffe?

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Carla is from around my way so we are rooting (hehehe) for her. I think she can come up with so great things however the italian dude is on point

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
The problem with Carla is that although she appears to be a solid chef, knowing when to do simple dishes and just making them taste great (as per the judges), I just don't see her as innovative, creative or pushing the envelope in the culinary world. Assuming she wins it all, she seems the type that, moreso than any other past winner, would just slink into obscurity, open up a small restaurant back home and just make great tasing home cooking. Based on what she's done on the show (besides the few solid dishes, bad desserts, etc.), she doesn't appear to be anything close to the next big thing.

But I suppose that could be the whole point - she could be, but we juts don't know, and that's what Top Chef is suppose to uncover. I'm just not convinced.

Edit: Did I ever mention Carla looks like a freakin' Giraffe?

Well, this season has been lacking overall. Any of the top 3 from last season would've been a winner this season. Personally, I like Carla (now that she makes traditional, decent, soul food). She's not the next culinary genius, but none of the others is either.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Well, this season has been lacking overall. Any of the top 3 from last season would've been a winner this season. Personally, I like Carla (now that she makes traditional, decent, soul food). She's not the next culinary genius, but none of the others is either.

All three seem fairly soulless. They're fine at executing recipes, but bring little of themselves to the food. Carla, surprisingly, seems the best of the lot, and now I'm rooting for her.

I was hoping Jeff would win last night. I'd rather see him in the final three than Hosea.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
All three seem fairly soulless. They're fine at executing recipes, but bring little of themselves to the food. Carla, surprisingly, seems the best of the lot, and now I'm rooting for her.

I was hoping Jeff would win last night. I'd rather see him in the final three than Hosea.

I think Jeff got lucky last night because he was asked to cook southern food. Otherwise, the kid seems lost for most of the season.

Hosea is a whining little *****, and has been treated as such by Stefan.

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Jeff got lucky last night because he was asked to cook southern food. Otherwise, the kid seems lost for most of the season.

Hosea is a whining little *****, and has been treated as such by Stefan.

Hosea should have been gone for f'ing up the fish at Le Bernardin. Too bad Jaymie phoned it in and had to go. I like her better than Hosea by a long shot.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think Jeff got lucky last night because he was asked to cook southern food.

At least he gave it his all, which is more than can be said for Stefan. Storebought sausage? Really?

Otherwise, the kid seems lost for most of the season.
Same is true for Carla, yet suddenly she's a contender. I thought Jeff was more competent, overall, than she's been.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
At least he gave it his all, which is more than can be said for Stefan. Storebought sausage? Really?

Same is true for Carla, yet suddenly she's a contender. I thought Jeff was more competent, overall, than she's been.

Stefan is a douche, but the strength of his food for this season carried him through last night.

Carla is a classically trained chef, and I think she knows what she's doing. She cooked some bullshit new-age foo-foo crap at the beginning of the season, and she was on the losing end--big time. But the last few episodes, you can see her getting back to her roots and cooking food that people actually want to eat. She's not all that exciting to watch, but I think she's one of the strongest, technically, in this season.

DMcG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Stefan was crap. He deserved to go home. Carla won b/c she cooked the best food overall. I might have given it to Jeff based on what I saw, but who knows without tasting. Jeff certainly put in the effort and put out a good product based on the judges comments.

On the Bravo website both Tom and Gail said that Jeff's oysters picked up flavor from the sterno they were using to keep things warm. It sounded like if that hadn't happened he may have won but neither of them came straight out and said that.

Its pretty amazing that Carla has gone from looking like she barely belonged on the show to being at the top and getting consistent praise from the judges. I'd definitely rather see her win than Hosea or Stefan.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Stefan is a douche, but the strength of his food for this season carried him through last night.

Coasting at this late stage is plenty of reason for elimination, IMO. But, beyond that, other competitors have been eliminated for a single screwup. I'd rather see Radhika in the final three than Hosea, or Carla, for that matter.

Carla is a classically trained chef, and I think she knows what she's doing. She cooked some bullshit new-age foo-foo crap at the beginning of the season, and she was on the losing end--big time. But the last few episodes, you can see her getting back to her roots and cooking food that people actually want to eat. She's not all that exciting to watch, but I think she's one of the strongest, technically, in this season.
Probably true, but she should have been gone a long time ago.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sad to see Fabio go. Mainly because he was entertaining, but also because it's seemed for a while now that Stefan has this thing locked up, and a finale without him would have been made things very interesting.

I think Jeff was sent home too early, but I don't like the idea of people getting second chances on this type of show after they've been eliminated.

arlee

Reaction score
probably could say the same for carla, if it wasn't southern food I doubt she would of won the challenge. they brought jeff back cause they know it was a load of BS when they booted him that episode when clearly Fabio's dish was the worst. I knew Jeff wasn't going to make it cause clearly they are not going to boot both the Europeans at once, even though they are the strong ones in this season they both did worst than Jeff last night and yet he had to go home, what a load of crap. The show is becoming more and more Top Bullshit instead of Top Chef. I think Stefan is a cocky bastard too but out of the 3 finalists I'm rooting for him, Hosea and Carla have no place being in the top 3 imo. Carla must have a rabbits foot in her pockets or some **** good luck charm cause her ass should of been sent home so many times and Hosea obviously had to be kept around cause hes like the protagonist of the movie (Stefan is the antagonist) not to mention his fake bullshit romance drama deal with Leah.

tdangio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
What? No. Any idiot can throw some alcohol together and people will enjoy it because we're all alcoholics. To make a spritzer that people enjoy as much as an alcoholic drink shows more talent than what the other people did.

Yes, making a spritzer is harder as evidenced by the fact that 50% of the alcoholic drinks failed.
rolleyes.gif

Carla is annoying, Stefan is hilarious, Hosea is a little *****.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Carla is just difficult for me to look at.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads