• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on Ben Sherman clothing?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If anyone is interested in the history on Ben Sherman and the mod scene, there's a pretty nice book devoted to it called "My Favourite Shirt" which was published a couple of years back. I've been meaning to pick up a hardcover copy that a local store has.

DMcG

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the Ben Sherman button up shirts that come in neck/sleeve measurements. 100% cotton, no visible logo, thick buttons (plastic though), often times they're in solids or subtle patterns, they come with an extra pair of collar stays and they're only like $35 at Nordstrom Rack. Unfortunately they have loose cuffs even compared to other dress shirts which are much looser everywhere else.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
If anyone is interested in the history on Ben Sherman and the mod scene, there's a pretty nice book devoted to it called "My Favourite Shirt" which was published a couple of years back. I've been meaning to pick up a hardcover copy that a local store has.

great book!! The photos are great, focusing mostly on its heritage years during the mid 60s

soulstylist

Reaction score
...Shermans changed sooo much over the years. Got my first one in the 80s on Carnaby Street - probably the worst time to shop for one as the the NAME was owned by Cavern or Merc or whoever was selling mod/skinhead clothing then. And they sold crappy polyester shirts for a lot of money to little dumb kids like me then...

The company now has nothing to do with the stuff made in the sixties/early seventies - they are mostly cashing in on the original spirit. Basicly the original BS was copying Brooks Brothers and adding a few special details (3 button down, buttons and cut out triangle on short sleeves...) but it was still a copy...

...the modern company (whoever it is), adding a name to whatever garment gets near them, have nothing for me...

...in a more scene stylish context - ever heard of 'Britac' and 'DNA-Groove'?

Lamschke

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with Ben Sherman Plectrum and their „Made in England“-pieces? Are they worth it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics