• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This is why Diesel turns me off

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Diesel jeans fit ******* fantastic on a couple girls i know. Good lord. That is why diesel turns me on.

Hence the difference between girls buying expensive jeans and guys doing same: girls do it to show off the best aspects of their legs and rears to guys in person, guys do it to show off virtually to a bunch of other guys on the internet.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I think it's different for guys because it's simply harder to find good fitting and aesthetically pleasing jeans. For girls, you can find solid jeans (not the best quality but decent fit and look) at mall stores. Not only that, you can find them in a variety of price ranges. For guys you have levis that fit alright but usually a bit off for under $50. Then you have APCs at $140, nudies at $140-200 and then japanese jeans at $200+. There is just a lot more variety in women's clothing and fashionable pieces can be found at all price ranges and in a lot more brands. Fashion for guys is just starting to come on in the mainstream. If you go into most malls you will find very little stuff that would appeal to us fit and design wise. It almost forces guys to buy expensive clothes. Guys here aren't trying to "show off their assets, but they do want jeans that are flattering and fit/look nice.

Still, i think the world would be a better place if more girls wore diesel jeans. At least walking around campus would be more interesting. The girlfriend would have to buy me blinders.

Slamdog

Reaction score
im probably one of the few people who own and enjoy both diesels and japanese selvage and dry denim.

i love the craftsmanship and quality of selvage jeans, and the process of breaking it in.

and i like certain cuts and washes of diesel because they are comfortable, especially in the summer, and its a refreshing change.

i've gotten a lot more compliments from girls wearing zathans than all of my raw jeans combined. i dont think many girls get dry denim. if they saw a guy wearing sugarcanes they would probably giggle and say he looks like a farmer.

but who cares what girls think, right? it's only *****.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's different for guys because it's simply harder to find good fitting and aesthetically pleasing jeans. For girls, you can find solid jeans (not the best quality but decent fit and look) at mall stores. Not only that, you can find them in a variety of price ranges. For guys you have levis that fit alright but usually a bit off for under $50. Then you have APCs at $140, nudies at $140-200 and then japanese jeans at $200+. There is just a lot more variety in women's clothing and fashionable pieces can be found at all price ranges and in a lot more brands. Fashion for guys is just starting to come on in the mainstream. If you go into most malls you will find very little stuff that would appeal to us fit and design wise. It almost forces guys to buy expensive clothes. Guys here aren't trying to "show off their assets, but they do want jeans that are flattering and fit/look nice.

Still, i think the world would be a better place if more girls wore diesel jeans. At least walking around campus would be more interesting. The girlfriend would have to buy me blinders.

Yes and no. In Orlando, I totally agree. Come out here to LA, or jet up to NYC, and you'll see an entirely different idea of men and high fashion.

SWB

Reaction score
Seriously though, is there some unspoken competition between online retailers over who can hire the worst models and photographers? I find it extremely annoying to hear newer people constantly complaining about how "bad" the "models" look on the TaT site, yet very rarely is there any mention of just how laughably awful the modeling is on bigger sites like Revolve.

You'd think it would have a pretty adverse affect on sales, it just doesn't add up. I guarantee if Get Smart was modeling those Diesel, they'd sell twice as many, if only to people otherwise on the fence about the fit.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
What about the yoox models? If only i could capture that pose for everyday use....

DGP, in gainesville with all the college kids trying pretty hard i see a lot of guys and girls trying to dress trendy look "hot". Way too many frat boys and meatheads trying to show off that they live in the gym between classes. And the girls...well, while most of them have incredible bodies, it's funny to see a small girl with a tight body, and then a little beer gut. Good times. I just meant in general even low end brands make stylish and decent fitting stuff for girls, while for guys, it's a bit more difficult. Obviously it's easier in NY and LA where there are a bunch of stores and people competing to be more "now". I think i understood what you were trying to say.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just meant in general even low end brands make stylish and decent fitting stuff for girls, while for guys, it's a bit more difficult. Obviously it's easier in NY and LA where there are a bunch of stores and people competing to be more "now". I think i understood what you were trying to say.

Makes sense. To add to that, I also think that, as guys, we are biased in that when we see a hot girl, what style she's wearing doesn't really change the sinful thoughts we are having about her. However, if you don't view other men as sex objects (fine if you do, but I get the distinct feeling a majority of guys on here are straight), then you'll be concentrated on how they're dressed when you see them. Same when girls look at other girls: they are much more likely to make a judgement about what she's wearing, rather than what's under it (and I'm not talking about her personality, soul, etc.).

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
Hence the difference between girls buying expensive jeans and guys doing same: girls do it to show off the best aspects of their legs and rears to guys in person, guys do it to show off virtually to a bunch of other guys on the internet.

As far as myself, that's hardly the truth. As long as I can remember, as far as jeans are concerned, my primary objective has been to buy what girls will think looks good on me. I've never posted a pic of myself on here, with the exception of fit critiques and have no desire to do so. The biggest difference is that these days when buying jeans, I've become much more concerned with denim quality, but the fit is still of paramount importance. Let's face it, women love in-shape guys in jeans and t-shirts.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylin-1
As far as myself, that's hardly the truth. As long as I can remember, as far as jeans are concerned, my primary objective has been to buy what girls will think looks good on me. I've never posted a pic of myself on here, with the exception of fit critiques and have no desire to do so. The biggest difference is that these days when buying jeans, I've become much more concerned with denim quality, but the fit is still of paramount importance. Let's face it, women love in-shape guys in jeans and t-shirts.

That's the case for me as well. I want to appear stylish mostly for the benefit of ladies. That's why, despite some of my larger fitting, softer jeans my be more comfortable, I still stick with my ES Fultons and Acne Mics. They highlight my best features like no others.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads