• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you just don't get

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why in Japanese there has to be different ways to count objects based on their shape.

Not just shape, there are different counters for different types of things as well and the counter may change depending on the actual number. Also the word for the number may change depending on the industry it is being used in.

Chinese has the same forms of qualifiers and "grouping" words (classifiers). I am only superficially familiar with Japanese (which, I understand is more complicated in this regard) but this "practice" or "method" if you will actually gets into the logic of the culture.... how the language represents the worldview and the way(s) in which it developed. I actually have "learned" or more correctly adapted to think differently in Chinese...

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One of the students I failed for plagiarizing last semester is retaking the class in the current summer session. She has a permanent scowl on her face and is clearly angry at me. Why the hell is she angry at me? She's the one who copied and pasted her whole damn paper. What was I supposed to do, give her a B?

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not just shape, there are different counters for different types of things as well and the counter may change depending on the actual number. Also the word for the number may change depending on the industry it is being used in.
For example,
1 animal ip-piki
2 animals ni-hiki
3 animals san-biki
4 animals yon-hiki
5 animals go-hiki
6 animals rop-piki
7 animals shichi-hiki (nana-hiki)
8 animals hap-piki
9 animals kyuu-hiki
10 animals jup-piki
Base form of some other counters
hon Long, cylindrical things
mai  Flat things like paper
ko general small objects
hai Liquid in containers
satsu  Books
kai The floor of a building
There are more.
Had the same **** in mandarin. Except its usually specific to a noun. biggest pain in ****** in the whole language.

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the students I failed for plagiarizing last semester is retaking the class in the current summer session. She has a permanent scowl on her face and is clearly angry at me. Why the hell is she angry at me? She's the one who copied and pasted her whole damn paper. What was I supposed to do, give her a B?

obv. yes, der.

Do u no how hard she had 2 luk 4 that paper?

WTF who u thnk u R? Dissrespeckin her like dat, she don got 2 rite no paper 2 prove she smart.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Would you have given her a passing grade if she gave you a beege?

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
korean has the same thing. my mom would always correct me when i used the counting word for things cuz i would always get annoyed at trying to think of the proper counting word.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Easy answer: tell her to drop or be failed again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads