• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things to do in Atlanta

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Can give you some great BBQ reccs too if you want.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Harold's

Daddy Dz

Fatt Matt's

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
Harold's

Daddy Dz

Fatt Matt's

These.

Daddy Dz will be the closest to you and isn't hard to get to, assuming you have a car. Also if something is showing across the road at the Eyedrum, go see it.

Harold's is good, the only place I know of in Atlanta where you can get a pig ear sandwich. And other more standard pork products.

Fatt Matt's is good but far away. Good live blues at times.

john johnson

Reaction score
I think Ed gave a good summary of what you options are.

Definitely take a cab wherever you go. Unlike some other cities Atlanta was not built on a grid. To make things more difficult Atlanta is crisscrossed by railroads and highways which cut off streets and disconnect neighborhoods. People from out of town can get lost easily.

As an East Atlanta resident I would like to give my neighborhood a plug. While the Porter (in little five points) is a great place to get a beer it is often crowded and the bar area is narrow. Seating is limited. Also, if you choose to wander around, with the exception of the Corner Tavern the bars nearby aren't that great.

I would recommend going to the Midway Pub in East Atlanta (themidwaypub.com). They also have a great beer selection and have one of the nicest and largest patios in the city. It is great for a summer night and is almost always lively. They also have ample seating inside. The service is always great.

Furthermore, if you decide to bar hop, East Atlanta has many other great places to drop in at:

Flatiron - (no website) Lots of bar stools, a few high tops, several tables on the sidewalk. Stiff and cheap drinks. The air is a little smoky and some of the servers have attitude. The people inside will be very drunk. That bathroom is terrible. This place is awesome.

529 - 529atl.com - Hipster hangout. This place is too cool for school. If you post in streetwear and denim this place is for you. Get a cheap beer and shot off of the house shot menu (mostly grain alcohol). Great people watching. Band every night.

Glenwood - the-glenwood.com - If you hang out here you are probably too old to be in East Atlanta

The EARL - badearl.com Best burger in town (I am not interested in arguing about this so don't bother). This is also a great place to see a show. One of the oldest bars in the neighborhood.

East Side Lounge - eastsidelounge.net - only if you need a fix

Mary's- marysatlanta.com - This place is Faaabulous! This is a straight friendly gay bar. If you want to dance and the people you are with aren't homophobes. Bring your own girls.

Gravity Pub - thegravitypub.com - Blue collar locals and rockabilly hangout. Very cheap drinks. Order a miller high life (don't trust the taps go for a bottle.) The food here is actually excellent for bar food. The tater tots are great. If you are lucky Jessica will be working. You will know when you see her.

Graveyard - graveyardtavern.com - This is going to be your best chance for picking up girls. However, save this place for last, the party doesn't get started here until late.

I hope this helps. If you go to one place make it the Midway. If you go to one neighborhood make it East Atlanta.

If you are hungover and skip your morning sessions go to Ria's Bluebird for breakfast. You really shouldn't miss this place. riasbluebird.com

john johnson

Reaction score
I can't believe I forgot to mention:

If you are here on a Wednesday night and want to see something truly awesome go to MJQ in the Poncey-Highlands.

It doesn't open until midnight and there is a cover. It is worth it.

The bar is underneath a parking lot on Ponce. You enter through a shed and then walk down a ramp to get to the bar. There are no windows so it is very dark. This place is a raging party on Wednesday nights. CASH ONLY so be prepared.

If you decide to go to MJQ you should start next door at the Local. They have great chicken wings. They smoke them for hours which makes the meat practically fall off the bones. Around 11:55 you will notice about half of the bar get up and walk next door to MJQ. Follow them over.

You could also go to the Bookhouse which is in the same parking lot. The food is outstanding and they have an enormous beer selection.

I guess you could also run across Ponce and go to the Clermont Lounge. Cover is usually $10. The strippers are old but it's not really a strip club. They have a dance floor and a DJ on weekends and it is packed with young girls and guys dancing their asses off.

tdangio

Reaction score
I dislike clubs, but MJQ is one of my favorite places in Atlanta. Nothing like seeing a dance off to make your night complete.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by john johnson
If you decide to go to MJQ you should start next door at the Local. They have great chicken wings. They smoke them for hours which makes the meat practically fall off the bones. Around 11:55 you will notice about half of the bar get up and walk next door to MJQ. Follow them over.

You could also go to the Bookhouse which is in the same parking lot. The food is outstanding and they have an enormous beer selection.

+1 on wings at the local. Best wings I've ever had.

I've heard that The Porter does smoked-then-fried wings as well, but only one day a week. I haven't yet been so lucky.

I'll have to check out Bookhouse.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Sorry I'm late to the party.

Little Five Points is interesting. There is a great bar there called The Porter with an amazing beer selection and gourmet food. Great record stores as well...Criminal and Wax N Facts. Good pizza at Savage.

I think the burger at The Vortex is one of our best.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like I said earlier, this is pretty much a pizza, hamburgers, fries and beer-drinking town. People will drive half-way across town to try out a new hamburger joint.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for all the replies.

We didnt have as much off time as I had orignally assumed we would so we really only had Wednesday night free to go about town. We had went to Fat Matts at around 5 for dinner where I had a pulled pork sandwhich, rum baked beans and a beer, and the kicker: it only cost $9 which we thought was crazy coming from NYC. After the BBQ, we went over to the Midway Pub for some great beer and good apps, and ended the evening at this place called flip flops which was basically a caribbean themed bar close to our hotel.

I wish I had more time to explore the city and am hoping to come back later this year.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea, the place kind of sucked and was happy as a clam at Midway, but my entire intern class was going to Flip Flops and I wanted to get to know some more people before training ended. Regardless of their lack of quality booze we still had a great time, in fact I met some really hot dancer chicks from Atlanta there.....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads