• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
bad week at work

1. one of my reports is a lazy bastard. I know that, but I inherited him and fired the other guy I inhereted, so I can't really fire him to quickly. I was hoping to turn him around. anyway, over the past 6 weeks he has gone over my head twice. basically, I ask my team to do something that we didn't do in the past, and he disagrees, we discuss, I tell him that he has to live with it, and he emails me a strong letter of disagreement, cc'ing my boss. twice in 6 weeks. my boss is great, though, and doesn't support his ****. but then I have to get into a whole discussion with him about it, why this isn't the right way to go about it, etc. I basically told him that the next time he thinks about doing it he should talk to his wife and decide if this is the right time for him to be looking for a job, because I am going to take it to mean he doesn't want to be on my team.

2. my ceo - my ceo doen'st understand what I do, at all. it is sort of like magic to him. pretty much the only interaction that I get from my boss is when he tries to get me to slow down, and, effectivly, do less work. the guy before me brought on board and managed 6 distributors around the world over a course of 20 years. I was brought on to improve sales, but every time I try and do something different it freaks my ceo out. I've brought on board and trained 30 some new partners in 6 months, and now my ceo is having a fit about it, becouse he doesn't understand how I can do this, when for 20 years he was told it was impossible. so he is fighting me to slow down. the trouble is, I can't go back to a distributor that I have courted and who has invested money in training and so on and ask him to wait a year, without expecting repurcussions in the market.

Managing your superiors is often more important than your subordinates. Work on it.

breakfasteatre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My girlfriends brother is the definition of ******* low life scum

Her mother was in the hospital recently for about a month. During that time, he stole3 cheques, writing himself about 5000 dollars worth. Previously, he has stolen her credit card and charged up about 10,000.

He dropped out of highschool and made his mom pay for an online highschool diploma.
He has been fired from every job for either stealing, being late or just not showing up.

He was 'kicked out' last summer wherein his mom paid his rent because he never had a job to begin with.

He was kicked out of his shithole basement apartment and is now moving back in with his mom

WTF!

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I had to drive for more than 60 miles in sleet and snow today. I'm tired of winter.

My girlfriend, who lives in Westbury Court (86 and G-town) left for class in the Pyramids today at 530 and didn't get there til 620. That's like, literally 15 blocks tops, as you probably know.

This **** is nuts.

dizzhizz

Reaction score
my general manager
my equity based fund
British & Hong Kong based fund managers
bloomberg

sorry but its all work based...might need to get out of this industry!

JDonne

Reaction score
1) The gas bill for my home was almost as much as my mortgage.
2) That was with the thermostat set to 55 degrees.
3) Spring won't arrive for another 4 weeks or so.

frown.gif

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been under unendurable stress since August. Always with me, at work, at home, whenever. Planned to get away to NYC for 36hrs or so to recenter myself starting at 8:30am tomorrow. Weather plus other factors killed it. Will lose the $225 for the room at the Helmsley. Sucks. This totals to around $700 I have simply lost through attrition this month. That is a a lot for me. Sucks.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that sucks Huntsman, hope your situation takes a turn for the better soon. it's only been a month or so since i went to tokyo, but damn i too feel like i need a vacation to collect myself.

migo

Reaction score
having nobody fun to hang out with on Thursday nights. It's the end of a week that's usually taken it's toll on me, and I'm bored as hell. Ugh. Minor, but bothersome.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by migo
having nobody fun to hang out with on Thursday nights. It's the end of a week that's usually taken it's toll on me, and I'm bored as hell. Ugh. Minor, but bothersome.

i find when i am alone at home on weekends with absolutely nothing to do, facebook texas hold em is a good cure for boredom. as a matter of fact it only takes a few hours before it becomes a straight up addiction.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Bummer pal. But I thought you had number 1 straightened out? Regardless, admonishing him to talk to his wife about job-hunting was a classic.

As to number 2: I worked for a dude just like your ceo. I tripled distribution points and sales in a very short time on the job. I was flying!

Then one day the douchebag boss turns to me in a meeting and says, "I don't even know my customers anymore." He shut down everything I'd built up. But he said he wanted me to stay on, just not do my job so well.
plain.gif

I was gone in a week.

Please be careful Zach.

thanks - no, I inherited two guys, and got rid of one. I really want to keep the other one, but he is going to require a lot of work. my intention was to focus on him May June July, but I may have to move it up. I've been focusing on the two new guys I hired for the past 6 months.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Managing your superiors is often more important than your subordinates. Work on it.

yeah, I know. my boss is fantastic, and my CEO (my boss's boss) has a lot of very good qualities, but he is an engineer and an operations person, and has never dealt in sales, but still likes to get hands on, sometimes. it is just a matter of closing the gap in what he thinks is the right way, and what I do. strangly enough, I was hired specifically to change the whole way we approached international, but it is still very very forign to corporate culture.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
reading the above two posts, it's crazy how complex office politics can get. couple this with what i've been going through for the past half year and i can pretty much say i don't think life/working at a giant corporation with vast and intricate hierarchical structure is for me. I have never had a problem voicing out my concerns and opinions with the people highest up but apparently this is what has led to my recent downfall. Apparently i am a minority in the hong kong workspace because i am not good at "knowing my role." Getting along well (or at least being able to talk to) people in upper management has created a rift between myself and my peers and this has led to me basically getting the collective shaft. I have a feeling even some in middle to the lower end up upper management aren't happy with the way i carry myself and seem to throw my weight around as a junior staff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads