• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The other annoying thing about the local gym is that the fitness facilities are open 24/7 to members, but not the actual bouldering areas. Annoying because I've seen a lot of other small independent or coop bouldering gyms go ahead and allow 24-hour climbing access so clearly there's a solution to the potential insurance problem.

A genuine StyFo gent would build a barn with a climbing gym. Stop being such a smalltimer

We looked at a house the other day that had a real nice rock retaining wall that I 100% was interested in for the home bouldering opportunities. Was like 25% over my budget but it was a really nice house and I considered it.

I've always thought the home climbing gym is one of those things that sounds better in theory than it actually is. You lose the social element and unless you pay someone to set routes for you, you have to do that work yourself or let the wall get stale. I guess you could build a moonboard or similar and crowdsource problems...but still very limiting.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
back in college we had one of those over-the-door-mounted rock plaques / pullup bar , my roommate was big into bouldering .

I wasn't even into climbing but I got into pullups b/c of that stupid bar and could do a bunch with the little pinch grip holds so I could see having a couple notions at home but for real work i'd just go outside anyway . gyms sort of suck compared to getting outside

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
back in college we had one of those over-the-door-mounted rock plaques / pullup bar , my roommate was big into bouldering .

I wasn't even into climbing but I got into pullups b/c of that stupid bar and could do a bunch with the little pinch grip holds so I could see having a couple notions at home but for real work i'd just go outside anyway . gyms sort of suck compared to getting outside
Translation- I'm a cuck DYEL.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
gyms sort of suck compared to getting outside

I moved to the mountains...but the rock here is fragile chossy crap. I did more real rock climbing living in Chicago than here. Maybe I'm a poser, but I'd honestly rather climb in a nice gym than be constantly worrying that holds are going to break off underneath me outside...especially as someone who's on the larger side for a climber.

Sure, there's *some* decent rock not too far away, and there is nice rock within easy weekend trip driving distance, but there are so many other mountain activities on offer that there's no motivation to sit in a car just to go climb.

Sometimes ****** rock is nice though...was doing MTB trail work a couple weeks ago to put in a re-route on a trail. There was an outcropping of rock in the way and it was almost comically easy to just hack it away with a pickaxe and use the baseball-sized pieces that explode off to fill in the ramp being built on the other side.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bish, work out at 6 am if you don’t like a crowded gym, just like everyone else who doesn’t want to wait for stuff

You know that girl's just trying to generate content with ENGAGEMENT though, right?

Post your almost a thirst-trap, but turns into a rage-trap content which will drive lots of comments and remixes telling her how she could do things differently...and then hope someone like @Texasmade sees it and follows her for the real thirst-trap content.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dunno, my only exposure to ‘socmed’ is the crap that you guys poast. ‘Rage-traps’ huh?

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in a weird spot...I miss going to the climbing gym, but despite continuing to pay for a membership, I can barely bring myself to do it.

Stopping on the way home from work was easy. Leaving my home office to go to the gym is hard. I just don't do it...and when I do, I dawdle on leaving and end up not having nearly as much time as I'd like. (although now the weather is nice so I'm probably going to ride bikes instead).

There's a social element too--since I don't go often, I don't really know anyone, I don't have a typical schedule that overlaps with climbing buddies, etc. So even when I think to go, its not the same as back when I pretty consistently went on the same days of the week after work.
I built out a really nice, for me, home gym in a garage at a property I used to live at.
Gym quality rubber floor, kettles, joist mounted heavy bag and pull up bar, my elliptical.
I even installed a gym clock I can program rounds into.
Then I moved, and a bunch of crap I didn't want to take with me is all over the place in there.
And even if I empty it back out, I just don't see myself changing clothes, becoming a sweaty mess and then driving home.
I have no room to replicate this at the property I'm at now.......it's a bummer.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I were to do my own home gym, I just need a squat rack, rubber floor mats, weightlifting barbell, about 210kg in bumper plates in big plates and fractional plates, and a GHD machine.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know that girl's just trying to generate content with ENGAGEMENT though, right?

Post your almost a thirst-trap, but turns into a rage-trap content which will drive lots of comments and remixes telling her how she could do things differently...and then hope someone like @Texasmade sees it and follows her for the real thirst-trap content.
Most of the time you can just google their name and find the good content without having to subscribe.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I moved to the mountains...but the rock here is fragile chossy crap. I did more real rock climbing living in Chicago than here. Maybe I'm a poser, but I'd honestly rather climb in a nice gym than be constantly worrying that holds are going to break off underneath me outside...especially as someone who's on the larger side for a climber.

Sure, there's *some* decent rock not too far away, and there is nice rock within easy weekend trip driving distance, but there are so many other mountain activities on offer that there's no motivation to sit in a car just to go climb.

Sometimes ****** rock is nice though...was doing MTB trail work a couple weeks ago to put in a re-route on a trail. There was an outcropping of rock in the way and it was almost comically easy to just hack it away with a pickaxe and use the baseball-sized pieces that explode off to fill in the ramp being built on the other side.

cannot remember who it was but some stylefarmer bought a house that came with a half pipe and ngl I was pretty jealous

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanantx24