• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
just don't understand this. I mean, I kinda do since I was young once, but even then.

Background 1) this week there's a book fair at my son's school, and he wants a book. He reminds me about wanting $ for a book at the last moment: after we send him to bed, when I'm dropping him off for school, etc. Thus far I have not given him $ for a book. Background 2) my son has not yet developed a morning routine and does as little as possible before we set out. If he could attend school barefoot and in a robe, he would totally do it. So we made a checklist of 6 simple things he needs to get done - nothing on the list takes more than 2 minutes, most of it is simple stuff we all take for granted (tuck your shirt in, etc.)

This morning I talk it over with the wife and we agree to give him $ so he can get his book. He told me it was $4 the other day, not a deal breaker. Well, he knocks out 5 of the 6 things on the list and omits the 'brush teeth' part. I know he hasn't brushed his teeth because I never heard the (loud) electric toothbrush. I ask him about brushing his teeth and he tells me he did it. The toothbrush is dry, the sink is dry, the towel is dry. And he says again he did it, and we both know he's lying. My reaction can be summed up as WTF MANG? Why even bother with the charade, just get it done and move on.

So I took him to school, again no $ for the book fair today. He was incensed that we didn't warn him that there would be consequences. Again, WTF MANG? Maybe tomorrow. Oh, and instead of $4 now he wants $14, for two books and a glittery pencil. Don't hold your breath, son.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If I knew I would be complaining the root cause, rather than the symptom.

Did it happen as soon as your woke up? You might have slept in a way that cut off some circulation.

Or you have testicular torsion. If they are very swollen and they have intense pain you should probably go to the hospital. But seeing as you are on the internet I doubt that is the case. SF would probably be the last thing on your mind.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

just don't understand this. I mean, I kinda do since I was young once, but even then.
Background 1) this week there's a book fair at my son's school, and he wants a book. He reminds me about wanting $ for a book at the last moment: after we send him to bed, when I'm dropping him off for school, etc. Thus far I have not given him $ for a book. Background 2) my son has not yet developed a morning routine and does as little as possible before we set out. If he could attend school barefoot and in a robe, he would totally do it. So we made a checklist of 6 simple things he needs to get done - nothing on the list takes more than 2 minutes, most of it is simple stuff we all take for granted (tuck your shirt in, etc.)
This morning I talk it over with the wife and we agree to give him $ so he can get his book. He told me it was $4 the other day, not a deal breaker. Well, he knocks out 5 of the 6 things on the list and omits the 'brush teeth' part. I know he hasn't brushed his teeth because I never heard the (loud) electric toothbrush. I ask him about brushing his teeth and he tells me he did it. The toothbrush is dry, the sink is dry, the towel is dry. And he says again he did it, and we both know he's lying. My reaction can be summed up as WTF MANG? Why even bother with the charade, just get it done and move on.
So I took him to school, again no $ for the book fair today. He was incensed that we didn't warn him that there would be consequences. Again, WTF MANG? Maybe tomorrow. Oh, and instead of $4 now he wants $14, for two books and a glittery pencil. Don't hold your breath, son.

idk, it sounds like you might be better off with him holding his breath right now.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Well seeing that he wants a book is a good thing, but a glittery pencil? :uhoh:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
also :fu: about the whole thing. im not looking forward for my kids reaching the age of lying for no reason. but i did, so i imagine its only a matter of time before they do.

we used have those scholastic order forms from school, the only books i ever ordered were calvin and hobes and far side.

Last edited:

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

is this somehow related to her upbringing in south america, being part of the wealthy elite and all? I find a lot of married women here in that same situation too.
+++++
!

yeah, I think that it is directly related. she "knows" that this stuff is her "job" but it really hasn't sunk in. I think that she hates does some things, and just doens't do them, on the other hand, I have suggested that we use a housekeeper for more stuff, and she doesn't want to do that, and I have suggested all sorts of tools and help to keep things organized. I think that I am destined to live like this for the rest of my life.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I know what you mean. this sucks, cause you really have to punish hinm, and you really don't want to, espectially not by withholding books. and you know that he is telling somebody "oh, I really want to read more, but my parents won't buy me books"

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

idk, it sounds like you might be better off with him holding his breath right now.

I consider it once in a while, but never want to lead him on and then pull the rug afterwards. If I have no intention of letting him have or do something, I lay it out plainly. We've discussed phones (no), computers (NO), and eventually driving (HELL NO AT THIS RATE)

Well seeing that he wants a book is a good thing, but a glittery pencil? :uhoh:

Yes, well he is a strange duck. Kind of a human magpie. I understand it, but I'd have to fill you in on a lot more background.

also :fu: about the whole thing. im not looking forward for my kids reaching the age of lying for no reason. but i did, so i imagine its only a matter of time before they do.
we used have those scholastic order forms from school, the only books i ever ordered were calvin and hobes and far side.

Well, he has a long and rich history of lies and we are well aware of it and are upfront about checking after him. We don't trust him, when there's any evidence to the contrary. Now - I can't say when or how it came about - but I can tell you that his lies and other disorders were more or less rewarded for a time (before he came to us) by a system that Didn't Want Hassles, e.g. Schools. In some cases I think he just wants the attention, and in other cases he's testing us.

Oh, did I tell you that I found a bag of Oreos in his bed the other day? LAWL. I had asked him to vacuum his room, and he did such an awful job of it that I made him do it again. Calling his effort a ****** job would be an insult to ****** jobs everywhere. So I walked his room and picked up all the little things he missed and when I put my hand on his bed I heard this crinkle that was certainly not cotton. Hello there Mr. Oreo Bag. I see you're almost empty, time to visit the wastebasket. I should have finished off the bag in front of him but instead made him throw them away.

*sigh* kids.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sofa king tired

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I know what you mean. this sucks, cause you really have to punish hinm, and you really don't want to, espectially not by withholding books. and you know that he is telling somebody "oh, I really want to read more, but my parents won't buy me books"

I hear you, but it's not like he actually read the things! They're mostly props. And I bought him two books he really wanted last week, one he's 1/4 of the way through, and the other one is Newton's Principia, which I might be able to understand on a good day. He actually has more unread books on his shelves than I do, and I'm awful about book-buying binges.

Also: hearing him read aloud is like hearing nails on a chalkboard. He struggles with words that I knew in kindergarten. Granted, I had a much earlier and better start, but still.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I consider it once in a while, but never want to lead him on and then pull the rug afterwards. If I have no intention of letting him have or do something, I lay it out plainly. We've discussed phones (no), computers (NO), and eventually driving (HELL NO AT THIS RATE)

i meant the not brushing teeth thing, hence, you being better off with held breath. le sigh

but, on the real, its good that you dont lead him on. it would only teach him to mistrust you. hard to teach a kid not to lie, when he perceives you as a liar.

Well, he has a long and rich history of lies and we are well aware of it and are upfront about checking after him. We don't trust him, when there's any evidence to the contrary. Now - I can't say when or how it came about - but I can tell you that his lies and other disorders were more or less rewarded for a time (before he came to us) by a system that Didn't Want Hassles, e.g. Schools. In some cases I think he just wants the attention, and in other cases he's testing us.
Oh, did I tell you that I found a bag of Oreos in his bed the other day? LAWL. I had asked him to vacuum his room, and he did such an awful job of it that I made him do it again. Calling his effort a ****** job would be an insult to ****** jobs everywhere. So I walked his room and picked up all the little things he missed and when I put my hand on his bed I heard this crinkle that was certainly not cotton. Hello there Mr. Oreo Bag. I see you're almost empty, time to visit the wastebasket. I should have finished off the bag in front of him but instead made him throw them away.
*sigh* kids.

haha, my son has a treasure chest of sorts next to his bed where he stashes anything he finds that piques his interest. if i even cant find something of mine, thats the first place i go. the other day i found all my shoe horns in there.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

anyway, they had an argument or something mid-april and up until now they're not talking.

I'm sorry to hear this, it must suck.

But I can top it - not with my own parents, who are perfectly dysfunctional in their own way, but a friend's: Those close to them say they have not spoken in years, potentially decades. At social functions they will acknowledge each other but at home if something needs to be done they will leave notes for each other but speaking does not happen.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I hear you, but it's not like he actually read the things! They're mostly props. And I bought him two books he really wanted last week, one he's 1/4 of the way through, and the other one is Newton's Principia, which I might be able to understand on a good day. He actually has more unread books on his shelves than I do, and I'm awful about book-buying binges.
Also: hearing him read aloud is like hearing nails on a chalkboard. He struggles with words that I knew in kindergarten. Granted, I had a much earlier and better start, but still.

I feel for you. my kids have (so far) taken really well to punshiment and bribery, so I have no good advice here, but I feel for you.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Oh, did I tell you that I found a bag of Oreos in his bed the other day?

Did he spend time in an orphanage or somewhere with multiple foster kids?

You probably know this already but food hoarding, and particularly hiding it in bed, is typical of children who have spent time in such an environment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads