• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thick as Thieves ONLINE

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Confucius
It's around the side of the waist and near the jacket pockets as well. I checked not long ago and they're still there which is quite a worry
frown.gif
I made sure not to touch the iron to the fabric.

Is the canvass fully floating or half fused? Because if it is half fused, then a fusing failure could be a possibile explanation.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
btw, Confucious, try this and see if it helps before you go to get it pressed.....you know how to do the pinch test right? where one hand holds the lining, the other the outer wool and you'd feel the 3rd middle canvas layer......

doing that, manually "spread" the outer wool so it comes off the canvassing, perhaps the canvas and wool have 'stuck' together in spots due to static etc and it's causing the wool to not be able to flatten out correctly. So, using the pinch method go throughout the entire jacket where there's canvassing and separate all 3 layers so each can hang independent of the others and not have spots where they are sticking to each other.

Confucius

Reaction score
Good idea GS, I'll try that when I get home.

I wanted to choose a reputable tailor so that my suit won't be ruined. He makes bespoke suits for a living so I figure he'd know how to alter a canvassed suit. I'll ask him for a quote and get a 2nd opinion if it's too expensive.

itskub

Reaction score
Hi, Ive been browsing this forum for a while.
Just wondering, do you offer suit jackets? or must the pants be included?
Also, any navy availible?
Thanks

Confucius

Reaction score
I tried the pinch test and pulled all three layers separately and it's still bubbled. I'd rather not have to take it to a dry cleaners to press and pay for something that shouldn't really occur.

I'll see what the tailor has to suggest tomorrow.

Edit: Here are some pics of the bubbling. It is slightly worse in real life than what the camera can pick up. I don't think it's the canvassing because it even bubbles around the armpits/sleeves and the flap pocket where I don't think there is any lining.

I don't want to fork out $200 for alterations for a suit that will permanently be bubbled
confused.gif

25MAY-04.jpg

25MAY-03.jpg

25MAY-01.jpg

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Woah, that's bizarre. Almost looks like honeycombs. Has your home steamer ever caused problems before?

Hope you find a solution!

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by itskub
Hi, Ive been browsing this forum for a while.
Just wondering, do you offer suit jackets? or must the pants be included?
Also, any navy availible?
Thanks

you can just get a jacket, as some have done. The navy I had (it was actually a windowcheck) is sold out...still looking for a solid navy that I like

Brian SD

Reaction score
Jason, my co-worker has heard of your label. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Word is getting around apparently, and I've never mentioned it before, he just caught me looking at your website.

Confucius

Reaction score
Just got back from the master tailor. You got some good kudos for your suits GS!

His feedback:
Beautifully finished and very well made, although for the price your workers must be "working for bowls of rice"!
laugh.gif

His criticism was that the pinstripes should never match up on the shoulder as it doesn't allow for the curvature of the back. He was on the money as my shoulders have slight creasing/bunching because the lines are matched. They're not a huge issue for me though.

I got my alterations on the back done for $80. If I had done what I wanted on the sides/waist, it would've cost $300!!

You might want to be careful with your care instructions because he said a suit should NEVER be steamed the way I did it. It should only be put into a steamy bathroom for 5 minutes and never more than that. He said he will press my suit and that will rid the bubbling, but it will could back with humidity. I was amazed - before I had even fully removed my suit from the bag, he said "the bubbling...?"

He was altering a few Oxxfords and said they were rubbish. I learned more about suits in half an hour with him than I ever knew my whole life. For any Melbournians needing a tailor, his name is Adriano Carbone and I would highly recommend him (just out of interest I asked the price for his bespoke and he said they start at $6,500 and go up).

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He was altering a few Oxxfords and said they were rubbish.

You sure he meant Oxxford and not Oxford ? I have never seen Oxxford in Australia. Oxford however really is crap ... overpriced, fused, crap.

Confucius

Reaction score
Yeah cos he asked where my suit was from and when I said America, he said "Oxxford"? I quizzed him about this later and that's when he told me what he thought of them.

And yes, I can definitely vouch for Oxford being utter crap!
laugh.gif

hollaforadolla

Reaction score
Yeah cos he asked where my suit was from and when I said America, he said "Oxxford"? I quizzed him about this later and that's when he told me what he thought of them.

And yes, I can definitely vouch for Oxford being utter crap!
laugh.gif

lets see some fit pics!

AlSailor

Reaction score
Questions for Get Smart:

1) bwong337 on p. 31 says his suit is "conservative business cut". Is this a specific cut that you have, or does one have to specify the desired changes from the more "fashion-forward" cut?

2) Do you offer only one style of pockets on the suit pants?

Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member