• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Epaulet & UNI/FORM: The Sashiko & French Terry Preorder Project

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Website Item Leader.jpg

Hey guys!

We've teamed up with @UNIFORMLA to bring you a rad preorder project. We're offering the following three pieces as a limited edition collab until Sunday March 19th:

1) Epaulet Sinclair Sportcoat in Japanese 13oz Sashiko ($200)
2) UNI/FORM Souvenir 2.0 Crewneck Sweat in 21oz French Terry ($118)
3) Epaulet Laidback Pant in Japanese 13oz Sashiko ($125)

You can choose any size from XS to XXL and one of two colors: Ink (Dark Navy Blue) and Dagger (Dark Grey). All of the pieces will be pigment dyed in coherent single lots so they coordinate perfectly.

We'll collect orders until 3/19 and then put everything into work immediately after that. Our goal is to ship around the end of April.

You can order these pieces direct from our two respective sites at the links below:

Order the Sashiko Sportcoat & Sashiko Pant from Epaulet

Order the French Terry Crewneck from UNI/FORM

Each of these garments is given a 9-step pigment dye process at our LA dye house. The fabric is acid washed, colored, rinsed, bound, fixed with bio-polished enzyme, and cleansed of all impurities. The pigment bonds to the fibers beneath it and yields natural tonal variations at the seams and ribbing. The result is a washed-in look and 3-dimensional contrast. This process is variable by nature, so each piece will have its own distinct tonality

Note: these rich pigment dyes must be washed with dark colors only. Tonal variations in the garment are a character of the pigment process, and they are to be expected.

We'll keep this thread updated with new content as the project proceeds. And if you have any questions at all, please feel free to post them here directly. We'll personally answer each one of them!

Thanks,
Eva Kuhle (Epaulet) and Pat Allen (UNI/FORM)

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1913021

Hey guys!

We've teamed up with @UNIFORMLA to bring you a rad preorder project. We're offering the following three pieces as a limited edition collab until Sunday March 19th:

1) Epaulet Sinclair Sportcoat in Japanese 13oz Sashiko ($200)
2) UNI/FORM Souvenir 2.0 Crewneck Sweat in 21oz French Terry ($118)
3) Epaulet Laidback Pant in Japanese 13oz Sashiko ($125)

You can choose any size from XS to XXL and one of two colors: Ink (Dark Navy Blue) and Dagger (Dark Grey). All of the pieces will be pigment dyed in coherent single lots so they coordinate perfectly.

We'll collect orders until 3/19 and then put everything into work immediately after that. Our goal is to ship around the end of April.

You can order these pieces direct from our two respective sites at the links below:

Order the Sashiko Sportcoat & Sashiko Pant from Epaulet

Order the French Terry Crewneck from UNI/FORM

We'll keep this thread updated with new content as the project proceeds. And if you have any questions at all, please feel free to post them here directly. We'll personally answer each one of them!

Thanks,
Eva Kuhle (Epaulet) and Pat Allen (UNI/FORM)
Awesome to see this up. Still working on the green screen photochop to have the model leaning up against a lambo.

@razorfrazer - this is an excellent opportunity to wear a sashiko based outfit that
1) Doesn't rip up your fingers if you grip hard (fwiw, the sashiko is about a 450 gsm one)
2) Allows you to wear sashiko to the gym without looking like you just finished Tae kwan do lessons.

Last edited:

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Awesome to see this up. Still working on the green screen photochop to have the model leaning up against a lambo.

@:
LOL yes, we're looking forward to your digital art skills!

We've got a video of all the pieces in action....

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL yes, we're looking forward to your digital art skills!

We've got a video of all the pieces in action....

I'll be real. I'll probably ask Ari to do it. And by probably I mean definitely.

brill

Reaction score
Those white air forces might turn blue by the end of summer.

Does the indigo hold it's color well on the pants?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Those white air forces might turn blue by the end of summer.

Does the indigo hold it's color well on the pants?

Oh these aren't indigo dyed.. they're pigment dyed. The process for for that is:

Each of these garments is given a 9-step pigment dye process at our LA dye house. The fabric is acid washed, colored, rinsed, bound, fixed with bio-polished enzyme, and cleansed of all impurities. The pigment bonds to the fibers beneath it and yields natural tonal variations at the seams and ribbing. The result is a washed-in look and 3-dimensional contrast. This process is variable by nature, so each piece will have its own distinct tonality

Note: these rich pigment dyes must be washed with dark colors only. Tonal variations in the garment are a character of the pigment process, and they are to be expected.

So you don't need to take the same amount of care as you would with indigo jeans and such. These are more akin to an overdyed chino than indigo denim. It will fade some with a lot of wash and wear, but they'll hold onto their color and vibrance for a long time.

That said: you should wash these with dark colors exclusively, as you can get some color transfer in the wash for the first few times. And if you're worried about light shoes and such, you can certainly wash the pants a few times before wearing them with the coca blanca Forces.

ggss09

Reaction score
Awesome collab! I remember listening to the original podcast and these products look amazing. My question is on sizing of the pants. I saw the size charts but still feeling a bit conflicted.
I'm typically a size 31 waist / size M if its letter sizing. I have a slimmer build, so wondering if staying TTS is best here or should I size down to an S?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Awesome collab! I remember listening to the original podcast and these products look amazing. My question is on sizing of the pants. I saw the size charts but still feeling a bit conflicted.
I'm typically a size 31 waist / size M if its letter sizing. I have a slimmer build, so wondering if staying TTS is best here or should I size down to an S?
Thanks so much!

For the Laidback pants, definitely do a Small... I think that's going to fit you great if you have a slimmer build.

Regarding the Souvenir 2.0 Crewneck Sweatshirt, I imagine that you'd be a Small as well. Our model is wearing a medium Pant and medium sweatshirt and he's about 6' tall, 180lb for reference.

ggss09

Reaction score
Thanks so much!

For the Laidback pants, definitely do a Small... I think that's going to fit you great if you have a slimmer build.

Regarding the Souvenir 2.0 Crewneck Sweatshirt, I imagine that you'd be a Small as well. Our model is wearing a medium Pant and medium sweatshirt and he's about 6' tall, 180lb for reference.
Awesome thanks! I'm 6'1 170 so not too dissimilar from the model's build. Given how good the medium looks on him, I might grab the same then.

wooha

Reaction score
Looks great, really excited about these.

Another sizing question -- apologies if I missed it, but what size sportcoat is the model wearing?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Looks great, really excited about these.

Another sizing question -- apologies if I missed it, but what size sportcoat is the model wearing?
Thanks!

So the model is about 6' and 180lb. Here's what he's wearing in each piece. If you click on the outgoing link for each item, there's a full size chart available. It's at the bottom of the Epaulet page, and it's under "Size Guide" on the UNI/FORM page...

Size Medium in the Souvenir 2.0 French Terry Crewneck

Blue2.jpg

Size 40 in the Sashiko Sportcoat

Grey3.jpg

Size Medium in the Sashiko Laidback Pant

Blue5.jpg

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I want to quickly shout out how fantastic the Souvenir 2.0 crewneck is.

Little story: like every brand that trades in biz-caz, I had to pivot things in 2020. With COVID and work from home, no one was buying custom shirts or suits or even tapered chinos. So I quickly organized my own knitwear production of tshirts, sweatshirts, and a pullover hoodie.

I had a crewneck sweat in development as well. I must have ran four samples of that crewneck and it never worked. The collar was off. The shoulder seams either stood up or fell incorrectly. The body would be too blousy.. and not in an intentional way. It was just a mess.

And I'm not new to this world. I've been making clothing since 2008 and used one of the better patternmakers in LA to do the development. I've designed double-breasted sportcoats from the ground up, and the freaking crewneck sweat gave me a Mortal Kombat-level "fatality."

It's no exaggeration that the Souvenir 2.0 samples that he brought to the shoot were the exact fit, drape, and style that I wanted to make myself. Everything worked and it looked great on the model. It's also rad that it balances a thick and comfortable hand without being too bulky. I was kind of surprised that it layered so nicely under the jacket, but the model had no problem wearing it. You can see it in the video. Everyone has their own preferences, but for me: the Souvenir 2.0 is the best crewneck sweatshirt that I've seen. And even though it looks simple to execute, it's actually really difficult to do this well. Lots of respect for what Pat & UNI/FORM did with this piece. If you're going to get a Sashiko something from this project, then absolutely add in a sweatshirt. Or get the sweatshirt on its own if you already have enough pants and jackets . It's phenomenal.

Check it out on the UNI/FORM site

Blue14.jpg
Blue2.jpg
Grey6.jpg
Grey7.jpg

razorfrazer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@razorfrazer - this is an excellent opportunity to wear a sashiko based outfit that
1) Doesn't rip up your fingers if you grip hard (fwiw, the sashiko is about a 450 gsm one)
2) Allows you to wear sashiko to the gym without looking like you just finished Tae kwan do lessons.

Looks amazing. What colorway are you grabbing ? INK might be IBJJF legal...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks amazing. What colorway are you grabbing ? INK might be IBJJF legal...
Hard to say. So, we are supposed to wear blue or white in our gym. As a senior student and instructor, I get by with navy and indigo (Tatami fits me best (A2L), but I like me some A2F Shoyoroll or Albino&Preto when that size is ever made).

Long ass way of saying that yes, Ink is what I will go for in all three pieces.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads