• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jet you hurt my feelings too, but I just cried in the corner instead of sending you a pm.

Will do that next time.

:(

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
sorry man, i don't hold any grudges so don't worry

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

waiting for @notwithit to ID the IPA in mbaums hand

No fair, the label is facing backward. :laugh:

Unless I'm drastically misinterpreting his stated location he's on the West Coast, so I'll go ahead and assume it's a West Coast IPA.

I'm pretty sure it's not Stone, Rogue, Sierra Nevada, or Green Flash. A lot of the bigger players have a secondary label on the neck of the bottle, and this one doesn't. I'm arbitrarily guessing Coronado, although I have no particular reason to believe that's correct.

fallenwest

Reaction score
so, is this just an argument about what "Politically correct" means (which is fine, but pointless), or do people actually think there's something wrong with "not promoting discrimination or disempowerment"?

I guess I can understand where you're coming from @RegisDB9, I mean, people who have something to hide are usually careful about how they speak. But I also think that it would be wrong to assume that that's the only reason people are ever careful about how they speak.

I also understand not liking it, or being suspicious when people want to "police" the way that other people speak, especially if you grew up with particularly anti-communist parents/friends/peers. I think that's probably a big part of where the pushback against political correctness comes from. But I also think it's reasonable to acknowledge a difference between people who want to control others for their own selfish gain or who want to take away your legal right to say certain things, vs people who want to build a less exclusive, insulting, or disempowering community by encouraging or promoting those values. And I think a part of promoting those values lies in drawing attention to racist or discriminating language. Most of the time the people who use that language aren't trying to be insulting, they're just unaware that although what they said might be acceptable to the people around them, it carries a meaning and a power elsewhere that is unacceptable, unless you don't care about those values.

For example, I used to use the word gay to describe anything was unfair, or frustrating. The kids in my highschool said stuff like that, I thought it was normal and acceptable. On a family trip I got a bad card in monopoly and said "wow that's gay". My aunt, a lesbian, had just walked in the room. She just sort of looked away and walked out. She's not so brittle that she'd be seriously hurt by it, but I'm sure she was dismayed to know that even in her family people talk like that. And I felt terrible. I didn't mean anything by it, I just said it out of habit. I wish someone had told me that it was unacceptable, I wish someone had stopped it from becoming acceptable in my school. I'm sure I still say stuff that's unacceptable like that without realizing it. I just recently stopped saying "that's marsupialed", because my girlfriend works/worked with special needs kids and wouldn't tolerate it. And I'm thankful to her.

As hendrix said, it's not about being nice to everyone, it's not about hiding how you really feel, it's not about controlling what other people are allowed or not allowed to think. It's really about not promoting the idea of certain groups of people as second class, or perpetuating harmful and unfair stereotypes or ideas about those groups. For that reason my personal example and my ramblings about promoting a welcoming community really aren't all that relevant.

I'm hoping that this doesn't start an argument, I don't want to be responsible for stoking the flames. Here's a ****** fitpic just in case it does so this comment is completely worthless.

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
sorry man, i don't hold any grudges so don't worry

Haha, I'm just messing with you. I dress like **** most of the time so I don't blame you ahaha.

This thread goes through ebbs and flows. Gets pretty nutty sometimes.

Jbravo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If not clowns like jet, brad-t and a couple of other assholes who constantly create hostility and cause conflicts - this forum would have been a better place.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, lets talk about hats instead.

gy3e6yga.jpg

zetu3a3y.jpg

ty9ypudy.jpg

qumemebe.jpg

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think we should talk about silly walks:

0.jpg

mbaum

Reaction score
No fair, the label is facing backward.
laugh.gif

Unless I'm drastically misinterpreting his stated location he's on the West Coast, so I'll go ahead and assume it's a West Coast IPA.

I'm pretty sure it's not Stone, Rogue, Sierra Nevada, or Green Flash. A lot of the bigger players have a secondary label on the neck of the bottle, and this one doesn't. I'm arbitrarily guessing Coronado, although I have no particular reason to believe that's correct.

Anderson Valley - A good, solid, though not great IPA.

Mike

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

Anderson Valley - A good, solid, though not great IPA.

Mike

Well, at least I had the geography right. :laugh:

I just tried their gose the other day. It wasn't as balls-out salty and dry as some German gose I've had, but it was pretty damn tasty, definitely something I'd drink again. Bonus that it comes in cans. :slayer:

lesamourai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

e.g. there's nothing un-PC about me calling JBravo a moron. Because I'm not insulting his race or social class or sex etc. I'm not discriminating against him, I'm just saying he's stupid. I can get my meaning across perfectly easily.

However, if I were to call him a marsupial, for example, that would be insulting to intellectually disabled people, who find that word dis-empowering.

It's nothing to do with trying not to offend people or saying things without meaning, it's about not promoting discrimination or disempowerment.

i'm sorry i thought this was america

BillKillgore

Reaction score
What made people think that suddenly you have the right to not be offended? It's only words.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads