• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I owned a GLI 1.8T with tiptronic for one weekend. That's how long it took me to realize that that transmission just doesn't work with a turbo. 140K is not that many miles. maybe you wrecked the transmission? ;)

sexonfabric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't think of a less exciting hot hatch than a Golf GTI tbh...probably the tamest of the bunch atm. 200hp just doesn't cut it anymore and the ride/handling is pretty soft. Each new model seems to get further away from the founding idea of the badge.

artishard116

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A WRX is an ugly car though.. they age horribly too... Maybe I'm biased, but I think VW's have lasting appeal. I did own a 1.8T GTI with tiptronic.. completely fucked after 140xxxkm. Sold it for scrap.

haha ok sorry to derail thread but wrx's look fantastic, especially the hatch. and I don't know what world you live in where german cars are more reliable than japanese cars...

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe not more reliable, but much better engineered :)

Are you used to driving a Lotus or something, sexonfabric? My TDI is the best handling car I've owned. Granted, those who truly care about performance usually swap out the suspension first...

Last edited:

sexonfabric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not at all, I have a Renault Megane RS265 at the minute which would wipe the floor handling wise with the Golf R let alone the GTI. The GTI is pretty tame compared to the likes of the Ford Focus RS or the Vauxhall Astra VXR even (I don't even know if you get these cars in America...certainly not the Renault). It's kind of the car you get once you have kids, but still want to have a bit of fun. If you are into such things you will see it is easily beaten in all sorts of tests against it's main rivals (here in Europe). It does have the best build quality though and nicest interior.

sexonfabric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm changing car in the next few months and have been looking at the 135. Think I'm going to get a Mercedes SLK though...fancy a roadster before I have any real commitments.

Last edited:

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No wonder, sof, you are comparing to cars not available in the US. Plus, I do have a kid and still want to have fun ;)

My first two cars were Renault 5s :slayer: The '78 was a much better build than the '82- I used to take it off-roading.

sexonfabric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hahaha I wasn't sure what cars you guys got over there. Can't believe a Golf GTI starts at 24k...they are £30,000 here (so about 40k your money).

Golf GTI fills that need perfectly. And the inside is a lovely place to be.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's pretty sad that we don't get many of the smaller performance cars over here. I realize I left out the Mini Cooper S, but I consider it more of a novelty (with bad torque steer).

Anyway, sorry for derailing this thread.

Snoopy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The thing is, it's totally possible for a polo to look acceptable -- even good. But it's not easy, very few people can do that, and in the end it usually looks even more bland than a white t-shirt. So I just don't see what the point of wearing one is.

A polo is a staple in every man's wardrobe.

Noctone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads