• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thewho should lose his glasses, looks like standard awkward kid from 80s teenage movie. Don't think you should roll your sleeves either.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GTm1y.jpg

faliero sarti
attachment leather and shirt
jeans
augusta
rcI97.jpg

visvim leather
geller sweat
jeans
uggs (no vis) (seriously)

Really nice. Got any close-ups of those augustas?

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thewho should lose his glasses, looks like standard awkward kid from 80s teenage movie. Don't think you should roll your sleeves either.

I kind of like the glasses. Maybe he should just do some curls? :)

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
he should follow the fuji "change your workout every week" program.

Last edited:

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

Today is casual day at wurk and on these days I have started wearing jeans with untucked shirt because tucking in jeans looks weak 90% of the time. I get a fair amount of grief about it from co-workers as well as "yep keep doing that, looks better."

I think the rise is a good part of it. Low-rise jeans + tucked shirt --> Eurotrashy a lot of the time. Also, tucked shirt + cuffed jeans is often just a chambray away from superdenim territory.
really liking this, from the epaulet threak :embar:

Me too.

thewho13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I kind of like the glasses. Maybe he should just do some curls? :)

My summer project, in addition to my actual "summer project," is to get to the gym and get less scrawny. Also, I'm glad you like the glasses—this is possibly the first time that I've ever felt really, really comfortable not wearing contacts.

If you don't mind me pressing further on the shoes aspect, what sort of boots were you thinking? (I don't know why, but I've always found it hard to match boots with skinnier jeans; my feet always wind up looking comically big to me).

Last edited:

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One or two more posts, and then I'll drop it as it's really not going anywhere.

So, basically, I have no right to dislike an outfit here because I don't understand it. Which makes a full circle back to what started all this in the MC thread. Someone claimed that SW&D was an acquired taste and several posters were vehemently opposing it. A couple quotes from each side to remind us about it.

the point is that some people are attempting to argue that it's not equally true, and that SW&D is much more of an acquired taste .. which is nonsense.

You're absolutely deluded if you think that SW&D is not an acquired taste.

That's my point too. It's just that MC-style is more adapted to common social circles than some of the SW&D looks. No one says there's no place for them. Also, most of SW&D looks are just fine, so there's really nothing to argue about.

So you're not arguing that a typical MC casual look will be more widely accepted than a typical SWD look? Seems to me like you are, and that's where I think you're wrong. It's a common misperception that I see on fashion forums and I think it's nothing more than faux-nostalgic wish fulfillment.

Yet, pulling 2 more quoted from the recent discussions seems to prove the opposite.

Yes, it's subjective. That's the only rule there is. It's all subjective. There are no rules to SW&D, just a collective understanding of what's good and what isn't. Even if my fit was better than Synth's (it's not), your comments are still totally unwarranted. If you want to learn more, the best thing is to consume. Read posts here, follow blogs that post streetwear stuff, just consume as much as you can and eventually you will begin to understand it and maybe even develop a taste for it.
The fact that MC has rules of what is good and what isn't is kinda what makes it sucky.

acecow: I'm going to explain this clearly: SW&D judges things on a different aesthetic criteria that you are used to. It has a particular aesthetic niche within fashion (social) media, and that's what makes it unique. People gather here because they appreciate that set of aesthetic ideas, and wish to discuss them. As such, other posters, who understand this aesthetic criteria comment on these fits, either positively or negatively. For example, brad-t may come off as harsh, but people are cool with it because he gets it. He knows what he's talking about, and as such, his perspective is valued.
You, however, have demonstrated that you do not understand the aesthetic criteria, and so your comments, both positive and negative, are not useful or wanted. You do not get it, and as such, your comments are worthless. If you want to learn about what these vague aesthetic criteria are, feel free to ask 'why is this receiving such praise?" rather than "why is this receiving praise, you look like a homeless person," as nobody feels like the latter part is relevant.
You are not helping anybody with comments like that, only pissing people off.

So what is it? Acquired or not?

And the hostility is overwhelming. So many people trying to defend this style with foam at their mouths, trying to prove me wrong, putting words in my mouth and taking what I said out of context. Insulting me or trying to. Insecure much? So what if I said that some guy's sneakers were dirty... they were! And he was wearing a skirt. I'm not insulting him, I'm merely stating what his image projects to a person unfamiliar with the whole SW&D aesthetic. It's important to understand how you appear to regular people. You spew venom at my every post, instead of showing me the right way. All differences apart, the MC crowd is much more appealing to me, because they are civil and act like respectful grown-ups. You act like kids with all your favoritism and circle-jerk mentality. And before you start crying that there's more circle-jerking in MC, go look at the response to custom shirts cravate_noir posted in WAYWRN a few days ago.

Here's a quote this whole argument reminded me of:

...But in spite of this, each of them—as is often the way with men who have selected careers of different kinds—though in discussion he would even justify the other’s career, in his heart despised it. It seemed to each of them that the life he led himself was the only real life, and the life led by his friend was a mere phantasm. Oblonsky could not restrain a slight mocking smile at the sight of Levin. How often he had seen him come up to Moscow from the country where he was doing something, but what precisely Stepan Arkadyevitch could never quite make out, and indeed he took no interest in the matter.
...Levin arrived in Moscow always excited and in a hurry, rather ill at ease and irritated by his own want of ease, and for the most part with a perfectly new, unexpected view of things. Stepan Arkadyevitch laughed at this, and liked it. In the same way Levin in his heart despised the town mode of life of his friend, and his official duties, which he laughed at, and regarded as trifling. But the difference was that Oblonsky, as he was doing the same as every one did, laughed complacently and good-humouredly, while Levin laughed without complacency and sometimes angrily.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads