• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

newC - great speedy post, very well done.

agree with points about present speedy not being old speedy, and i cant possibly imagine the daytona to be an old mans watch. that is reserved for the all yellow gold day/date in my book. also, do not agree that a chrono is primarily a tool watch. most people rarely, if at all, use the chrono function. its just another complication to most people, or a pleasant dial layout.

As I mentioned before as well, while it's a tool watch, never used it as one and it's all for the looks.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NS - awesome pics, and that sounds like a great day!

PartagasIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know I'm pages tardy to the AP ROO party but the only ROO that over seemed vaguely attractive to me (and might still buy) was the Safari model. White face worked somehow better than usual on the hornback strap.

To wit:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know I'm pages tardy to the AP ROO party but the only ROO that over seemed vaguely attractive to me (and might still buy) was the Safari model. White face worked somehow better than usual on the hornback strap.

To wit:

Nah. Looks like lots of other ROOs, does nothing for me. The only Offshore that would possibly interest me and is a bit different, is the Scuba. However, it would need to be on a bracelet. But if the Safari puts a smile on your face, go for it!

Devoti

Reaction score
Sorry but I'm with Hayward, I give a solid thumbs up to orig. early Speedy's for ones collection. I think when one mentions this kind of watch, it would be a remiss not to mention orig. Heuer Carrera's or Autavia's.

I do think when one is ready to spend this kind of money on a watch that they should just focus on getting the orig. rather than a re-issue.

Last edited:

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hayward,

Thank's for the disclaimer about taking your post with a grain of salt, I had to. I often agree with your assessments of watches, but here...I simply can't.  If you are a newbie I can more easily understand the fascination and being drawn in by Omega's marketing, "This is the watch that passed their tests and went to the moon."  Yes, that may be true if you have one with Cal 321, but the current watch is simply not the same as what went to the moon.  So relying on the NASA test is like saying, you wanted the car with the highest top speed in the world so you bought a current Jaguar XK8...because according to a 1964 edition of Road & Track magazine they said an E-Type Jag was one of the fastest cars in the world.  It simply makes no sense.  I completely, understand the historic importance of the Omega Speedy Pro, and if you like the history behind the model, I can appreciate and understand that. But a roughly 45 year old test to justify the modern version doesn't make much sense.

Except that the 3570.50 has also seen EVA time, and will likely continue to do so. It's still the only watch qualified for EVA by NASA.

That ain't Skylab or the Apollo Soyuz in the background. It's the ISS.

Even the X33 isn't qualified for EVA due to the alarm diaphragm. If the Daytona were a better choice, I'm sure Putin could've stolen some for his Cosmonauts.

Keep in mind of course, I never said the Daytona wasn't an exquisite piece of craftsmanship. It is. But it certainly doesn't match my aesthetic. I keep thinking of celebrities and gangsters when I see one.

As for using the chronograph function, most the time it is indeed a toy. Nevertheless I have used it for real events including fairly mundane ones.

There's also the whole value for money equation. If I'm going to pay for five figures for a chronograph, I'm going to want a fly back or split second.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the lume on that orig speedy is delectable. le sigh.

i kinda like the safari. there are so many ROO models tho, its kinda silly imo.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hayward,

Thank's for the disclaimer about taking your post with a grain of salt, I had to. I often agree with your assessments of watches, but here...I simply can't.  If you are a newbie I can more easily understand the fascination and being drawn in by Omega's marketing, "This is the watch that passed their tests and went to the moon."  Yes, that may be true if you have one with Cal 321, but the current watch is simply not the same as what went to the moon.  So relying on the NASA test is like saying, you wanted the car with the highest top speed in the world so you bought a current Jaguar XK8...because according to a 1964 edition of Road & Track magazine they said an E-Type Jag was one of the fastest cars in the world.  It simply makes no sense.  I completely, understand the historic importance of the Omega Speedy Pro, and if you like the history behind the model, I can appreciate and understand that. But a roughly 45 year old test to justify the modern version doesn't make much sense.

Except that the 3570.50 has also seen EVA time, and will likely continue to do so. It's still the only watch qualified for EVA by NASA.

That ain't Skylab or the Apollo Soyuz in the background. It's the ISS.

Even the X33 isn't qualified for EVA due to the alarm diaphragm. If the Daytona were a better choice, I'm sure Putin could've stolen some for his Cosmonauts.

Keep in mind of course, I never said the Daytona wasn't an exquisite piece of craftsmanship. It is. But it certainly doesn't match my aesthetic. I keep thinking of celebrities and gangsters when I see one.

As for using the chronograph function, most the time it is indeed a toy. Nevertheless I have used it for real events including fairly mundane ones.

There's also the whole value for money equation. If I'm going to pay for five figures for a chronograph, I'm going to want a fly back or split second.

Nice find of a recent Speedy Pro in space.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only right answer to Speedy vs Daytona is "both."

I'm in London right now. Suuuch a dangerous place! Just walking past the Vintage Watch Company gives me the cold sweats ...

NonServiam

Reaction score

I'm in London right now. Suuuch a dangerous place! Just walking past the Vintage Watch Company gives me the cold sweats ...

Yeah, until you inquire about prices. Crazy expensive everywhere. Too much money in London these days, no good deals to be had. The window shopping is out of this world though. When in London, I practically live in Bond St and Burlington Arcade :embar:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I kind of get the Safari more than most ROOs. It's a fun watch, but I can help thinking that any number of Panerais would be more fun for less money. Or if it has to be AP, a RO jumbo chrono seems so much more stylish in the same price range.

Or, to bring us back up to date: brand new Daytona and Speedy Pro, and change. On which subject, brilliant and thought-provoking posts Wayward and Devo. I suspect the division between these watches is not far from my own ignorant and simple-minded perspective: vintage and collectible models aside, I would like a Speedy for its history and practical feel. But I woud love a Daytona primarily because it's so damn pretty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads