• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
This is my first ever vintage watch acquisition. It's a bit heavier than I anticipated, but it fits well.

4100488148_3e3bc36e80_o.jpg

(Sorry for the crap photo.)

It's a Girard Perregaux Gyromatic. I'm not acquainted with the make and was wondering if anyone can tell me a bit about them. Also, I can't figure out how to adjust the date (which is why it says Friday 12th instead of 13th). Anyone know?

Thanks.

It may work like a Wittnauer I have on the Other Sales - read the details there.
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...36#post2621036

sharpie12

Reaction score
Nice pick up there. Does the red luminous still glow? be interesting to see.
GP's a good brand, I'd say middle hi on the pack. Although, they have quite a few of hi complication pieces - 3 gold bridges tourbillon, repeater etc.
Try timezone for more info and background.
AFAIK, on day/date adjustment; pull crown one tab clockwise to adjust date, counter clockwise to adjust day. Depending on the maker, it could the reverse.

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
went on a mini-shopping spree past 2 days. Purchased the following pieces at what I consider great prices:

B&R Vintage 123
Vintage%20123%20face.jpg

1940's Wittnauer Mechanical Chronograph
310478849_tp.jpg

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sharpie12
Nice pick up there. Does the red luminous still glow? be interesting to see.
GP's a good brand, I'd say middle hi on the pack. Although, they have quite a few of hi complication pieces - 3 gold bridges tourbillon, repeater etc.
Try timezone for more info and background.
AFAIK, on day/date adjustment; pull crown one tab clockwise to adjust date, counter clockwise to adjust day. Depending on the maker, it could the reverse.

Thanks for the tip on Timezone; their GP forum answered my question. You adjust the date by pushing in on the crown. The glow seems to have gone. I was a bit surprised at how quickly the watch ran down. After a few hours wearing it still had stopped by about 2am. At that rate I'd have to reset it every day.

a-rock

Reaction score
Seiko 5 SNK803K2... ... with Burgundy stripe straps from J.Crew
img3767small.jpg
... with Navy stripe
img3856small.jpg
Doesn't come out in the photos but the khaki color on the straps match almost exactly with the color of the dial.

sharpie12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
Thanks for the tip on Timezone; their GP forum answered my question. You adjust the date by pushing in on the crown. The glow seems to have gone. I was a bit surprised at how quickly the watch ran down. After a few hours wearing it still had stopped by about 2am. At that rate I'd have to reset it every day.

No prob. Learn new things everyday, so it's a push to adjust, I see. Too bad red lume is all gone. On some of the older auto, couple hours might not be enough to leave over night. Try wearing it for a full day (6-8 hours) for couple days see what happen. GP is a manufacturer, so your piece should have in-house movement, and GP's movement is no junk for sure. Enjoy.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
went on a mini-shopping spree past 2 days. Purchased the following pieces at what I consider great prices:

B&R Vintage 123
Vintage%20123%20face.jpg

310478849_tp.jpg

Both nice catches

Confucius

Reaction score
What's the general consensus on B&R around here and in the watch world?

I have an IWC Pilot Chrono and an Omega SMP (discontinued version), which are both deliberately understated and non-attention-seeking watches.

I was thinking of getting a steel/black/white B&R 42mm as something a bit more different and youthful since I'm still on the right side of 30. Something strictly for casual wear only.

Opinions?

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

B&R Vintage 123
Vintage%20123%20face.jpg

310478849_tp.jpg

Very nice - what's the diameter on the Wittnauer?

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
33mm dial and 42mm lug to lug. The dial is as about the same size as my '40's IWC. This is my first '40's chronograph which I don't have in my collection. Dial, crystal, movement and crown is original on the watch and the dial is exceptionally clean.
I also just picked up a Damasko 37 and have my eye on a Sinn 656.

My wife is going to kick me in the man bag for my watch splurge
facepalm.gif

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
33mm dial and 42mm lug to lug. The dial is as about the same size as my '40's IWC. This is my first '40's chronograph which I don't have in my collection. Dial, crystal, movement and crown is original on the watch and the dial is exceptionally clean.
I also just picked up a Damasko 37 and have my eye on a Sinn 656.

My wife is going to kick me in the man bag for my watch splurge
facepalm.gif

Welcome to the club - nice collection and worth the occasional squeaky voice.

mickeymickey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a-rock
Seiko 5 SNK803K2...

... with Burgundy stripe straps from J.Crew
img3767small.jpg

... with Navy stripe
img3856small.jpg

Doesn't come out in the photos but the khaki color on the straps match almost exactly with the color of the dial.

That looks great, love those striped bands. I have a Seiko SNK809K2 that I put a whiskey/tan strap on. I may pick up the SNK803K2 and put a burgundy/oxblood band on it as well, I really like that color dial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads