• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Lange tourbillon!!

@appoooh , sorry for calling you Moo, mix up: to be honest, I am drawn to the original for that reason - the extra interest of the blued hands really makes it special to me. But that said, this is supposed to be the essence of Bauhaus design, so the more minimalist look is perfectly appropriate. Also, those polished hands will really pick up the colours around them - as in your pic.

I was curious on the size because I'm seriously thinking about getting the Orion one of these days. The price is really attractive, and my only question was 35mm or 38mm. I have a vintage 35mm Omega (see pic to the left!) that I wear most days as my dress watch, and it's fine, but I'd definitely go up a mm or two rather than down. So I am interested to see how the 35mm Orion wears in the real world with those long lugs. Any chance of some more pics? And how big is your wrist? The 38mm would sound like the perfect size to me, but if the 35mm wears a little bigger, I think the dial is better proportioned to the movement (placement of the subdial).

I have a 6.75" wrist, and the 38 mm looked good to me despite the long lugs if I remember correctly. If I can remember when I get home from work I can post a wrist shot or two if I can find them and if you're interested. I liked the original better than the Weiss as well, but the Weiss also taint bad.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Watches needs to put AR on both sides of their crystals, love it when they are practically invisible.
2yvnl6t.jpg

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think there are any relevant consumer protection laws that are common to all EU countries. The relevant jurisdiction will be the vendor's country, if any misrepresentation or fraud needs to be reported.

I'm curious as to why they would be making a bank transfer, doesn't everyone use cards these days even if just through PayPal etc? Regardless of how the vendor is supposed to return the money, in some countries, certainly the UK, if the payment was drawn on a credit card, then the card issuer is legally the vendor.

Anyway, best of luck.

There's a preowned watch on chrono24 atm that I really want. Seller is a physical store in Spain that does not have a proper e-com website through which you can complete a purchase. The watches they list on chrono24 are shown on their own website though, including the one I want.

I exchanged a few e-mails with the seller who informed me that they only accept credit cards for in-store purchases. All others must be paid by wire transfer. I declined to purchase because I don't think there's any buyer protection with wire transfers, plus the hassle of going to my bank to set up the wire. Don't want to pay a wire fee either.

appoooh

Reaction score
That Lange tourbillon!!

@appoooh , sorry for calling you Moo, mix up: to be honest, I am drawn to the original for that reason - the extra interest of the blued hands really makes it special to me. But that said, this is supposed to be the essence of Bauhaus design, so the more minimalist look is perfectly appropriate. Also, those polished hands will really pick up the colours around them - as in your pic.

I was curious on the size because I'm seriously thinking about getting the Orion one of these days. The price is really attractive, and my only question was 35mm or 38mm. I have a vintage 35mm Omega (see pic to the left!) that I wear most days as my dress watch, and it's fine, but I'd definitely go up a mm or two rather than down. So I am interested to see how the 35mm Orion wears in the real world with those long lugs. Any chance of some more pics? And how big is your wrist? The 38mm would sound like the perfect size to me, but if the 35mm wears a little bigger, I think the dial is better proportioned to the movement (placement of the subdial).

My wrist diameter is 6.5 inches and I think the 35mm dial works well. I tried on the 38mm with date and while it fitted my wrist I preferred the classic size.

Last edited:

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I lied. 6.5 inch wrist on me too. This is the 38 datum. I want to say I tried on the 35 mm and it felt a bit small to me, but I also thought my wrist was a totally different size than it is, and that is part of my body... so...

The pics above of the 35 mm look great on Appoooh's wrist as well - I'd just say as a word of caution that I've noticed the way things look in pics don't seem the same in person when I put stuff on. If you've never worn a 35 mm - 36 mm watch, it may feel smaller than you think.

chanoch

Reaction score
I am considering an Uhrenwerft Langengrad by Hentschel. Looks beautiful, but seems a bit pricey at almost $4000 for a standard ETA 2824/2 movement and plated case. Have you had any experience with these watches? They look really nice, just what I am looking for -- something German and interesting -- but it sounds like a lot for what is essentially a very basic watch. Am also interested in the Nomos Metro, which gives you some idea of my somewhat offbeat taste ... They are about the same price, but the movement in the Nomos sounds more intriguing. Grateful for your thoughts ...

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am considering an Uhrenwerft Langengrad by Hentschel. Looks beautiful, but seems a bit pricey at almost $4000 for a standard ETA 2824/2 movement and plated case. Have you had any experience with these watches? They look really nice, just what I am looking for -- something German and interesting -- but it sounds like a lot for what is essentially a very basic watch. Am also interested in the Nomos Metro, which gives you some idea of my somewhat offbeat taste ... They are about the same price, but the movement in the Nomos sounds more intriguing. Grateful for your thoughts ...
First impression, I think the Hentschel is kinda meh for that price - not sure where the money is, and I've never heard someone utter here the statement "I LOVE a good plated case." On the other hand, I've also never hear someone here say "It was a mistake to go Nomos." It's got the in house swing system, strong sense of self and design, and in my opinion a much more cohesive package with a fair price.

Keep in mind I've never seen Hentschel, but I've seen the metro plenty and it's pretty badass. Maybe some of the more learned/experienced TWAT-masters will have more to say about Hentschel brand, but on first look I don't really get it.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RFX - Invisible crystal is best crystal.

Tchoy - Love.

Bkotsko - Love the watch, obvi, but I am not a huge NATO fan, outside of a few specific examples, usually more sporty watches.

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As for women being drawn to those 2 pieces, most women aren't collectors and probably just see them as gold jewelry.  When my dad would wear YG PP 5070 (which is 42mm), he used to get compliments from women about it, but none ever knew what it was.  So again I think they just saw it as a large gold piece of jewelry.  
I have several gold watches on bracelets (JLC Reverso, Breguet Marine, PP Perpetual, Rolex DD, Blancpain Villeret, Omega Speedmaster) and they do draw attention and the occasional comment from women. But I've never had women grab me by my wrist and pull the watch up to their face to study it, while oohing and aahing; calling their friends over to have a look. It's the kind of reaction that women have with diamond encrusted watches, if you've ever witnessed that spectacle. Anyway, just an observation.

chanoch

Reaction score
Thanks, much appreciated. Have read what I could online about these Uhrenwerft watches (and there isn't much), and although I do like the look of them, it's hard to see the added value if they've done nothing to the ETA movement other than put it in a pretty case. Although I haven't seen the Nomos Metro in person, it does look fine and seems to have a well-regarded in-house movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads