1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

I don't have the Monday morning blues with this pair

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  2. tigerpac

tigerpac Well-Known Member

Beautiful watch, beautiful shoes. Carminas are amazing.

Metal band tool watch with balmorals would make some people's head explode - though I'm happy that's a different forum and shouldn't happen here.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  3. Belligero

Belligero Well-Known Member

Just think of what that $5K could get you in proper- rather than pseudo-vintage, though. ;)

4. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Oh I do, several times daily. And yet, my mind seems to be on the modern at the moment...why is that? [​IMG]

5. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

Not that it disproves dopey's theory that few people do this, but a friend of mine wears a DSSD as his only watch.

6. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

I set my watches a bit over a week ago. As of today my Rolex is running 5 seconds fast, my Seiko is dead on and my Speedy is, well a bit speedy. 80 seconds fast. Does NASA really use these?

7. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

Exp and half eaten bagel.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  8. tigerpac

10+ seconds a day sounds magnetized.

9. BostonHedonist

So is that an easy fix? It's still under warranty if need be..

Lol @zippyh

10. tigerpac

Yes sir, takes about 5 seconds. Any AD or boutique should be able to do it on site.

If that doesn't work, then it probably needs to be sent back for a fully service.

But very often a quick degaussing does the trick.

11. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Well-Known Member

Does Hodinkee ever say anything bad about any watch?

Is it possible it's just a timing adjustment? 10 seconds isn't that fast.

12. tigerpac

Oh absolutely. But its worth trying the quick magnetizing fix.

The Omega boutiques have local techs who can regulate your watches the same day if you set it up with them beforehand.

But 10 seconds, from my albeit limited experience, is usually a problem. Often the easy problem, magnetized or if not, something that needs a service.

13. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

I do appreciate and share your opinion about the older bracelets. There is definitely nothing wrong with them in terms of ruggedness or durability. I've had my share of them and still have a few that are on older style bracelet (although none are rivet or folded over bracelets). In the past I certainly "Punished" plenty of models that had "Clam shell" end links, hollow center links, and stamped steel clasps, and they were able to withstand all sorts of rigorous activities that banged them around , but they showed little or no stretch even many years of regular wear. However, I can see how someone more acquainted with modern Rolex bracelets using solid end links, solid links, and machined clasps might be a bit surprised or question the quality of the older bracelets.

I did follow up with the OP regarding the actual watches at issue after I saw them in person. I thought the bracelets were not a good representation of Oyster bracelets of the past, even considering age and being worn regularly without much maintenance or care. Most had what I considered some rather tired looking bracelets showing a lot of stretch, one link may have had a slight bend from a serious impact, and the Rolex insignia was nearly gone on one clasp and significantly worn on another leading me to believe the they had sustained a combination of rubbing against things over the years, but more likely received some excessive polishing some time ago. While newer bracelets could resolve some issues for these watches, I didn't like the condition of the watch cases (or the dial of the 1655) enough that I would recommend a friend purchase these pieces. I thought a serious buyer would be better off with other pieces in much better condition than these.

1 person likes this.
  14. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Just a quick note, the quote attributed to me isn't mine. It was Belligero commenting on something I said. That being said, I do agree with Belligero's comments on the Geophysic. Cheer!

15. Belligero

Belligero Well-Known Member

No argument here — I just meant to address the misconception I sometimes come across (usually from those who haven't tried them) that the older bracelets are crappy in general, without considering that anything else would show at least as much wear over the same period. You were spot on about the not-so-great condition of those examples. :)

16. BostonHedonist

I don't take any real issue with my circa 2000 GMT II's bracelet, hollow center links and all. I like that they are very scratch resistant yet lightweight and relatively thin. The stamped crown is comple garbage compaired to the newer style. But I don't care much for logos of any kind. The adjustability of the newer clasps is very nice but I don't really adjust my bracelets much, so it's not a big deal. I cannot abide those polished center links though. I like the touch of polish the way omega does it in the SMP bracelet (and GS for that matter), but a whole mirrored link... Not my thing.

But I say this after putting my Rolex on a rubber strap, where it will stay and remain as a workhorse of a tool watch!

2 people like this.
  17. BostonHedonist

PS - Amazon accidentally sent me a SECOND LAMY 2000 rollerball in black.

Anybody fancy a pen trade? I wouldn't mind a nice mechanical pencil for sketching.

18. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

A am not going to bite on your bagel, @zippyh ! Something without a watch instead.*

Jumping back to the previous pen conversation, some birthday presents from my beloved: I'd been hinting at a Montegrappa, so this was a big surprise, but I'm loving it. I like the balance, the smooth, ergonomic feel of it, the sprung clip, and the way the lid clicks on with a little internal magnet makes it feel alive. Most satisfying. [Edit: spooky timing, BH, you posted while I was loading pics!]

Liking the perfume too, and the new shell cordovan wallet. She is a wonderful woman.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And for you Zippy, @Dino944 , @no frills and all the other food/watch combo fetishists...

"Macarons assortis avec un soupçon d'Orange Monstre"

[​IMG]

*There will be a new watch another day. Present to myself...incoming!

2 people like this.
  19. BostonHedonist

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  20. tigerpac

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.