• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I kind of liked the Seiko with ticker tape message in the beginning of the Spy Who Loved Me, but overall I was a bit disappointed when Bond stopped wearing a Rolex. 

Agree on both accounts.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a prelude, thanks to all who replied. I really appreciate the well-thought out posts. It really helps me on my watch-related path.

Hmm, I think I completely agree with your post Belli. I guess I never really thought about it from that perspective. And I guess with the parts "guarantee," that really makes purchasing vintage Rolex much less of a gamble. I guess I should think twice before forsaking that which is older simply because it is old. I guess I fall prey to the newer is better maxim. Perhaps I should start rethinking it :).

newC, excellent conversation you bring up.

And that is kind of what I considered vis-a-vis the Clapton model. $50,000 seems to be the price that darn near any Clapton memorabilia will fetch. I just think it is a little bit odd that a watch can sell for 10 times more in less than 5 years! I agree with you that rarity plays a huge part in value. But that type of quantum leap does not seem to be a function of rarity. More on this below though...

Although I completely agree, the PN Daytona is facking gorgeous. Just a stunning watch.

Always glad to hear your 2c Stitchy.

I think that Kaplan described quite nicely where I am coming from. As stated above, the price increase in vintage Rolex is quite steep. And I wonder if the increase in price is due to the vintage fad? It seems like vintage Rolex is very in vogue right now. When they are no longer as hot of a commodity, one can assume that the market for them will likely fall out. I agree with you Stitchy, that as an investment piece it probably is not a very wise investment.

But this is kind of the way that I look at it. I remember a few days ago, Dino mentioned something along the lines of "instead of buying Rolex above MSRP upon a new release, I wait until the hype has died down, and snag it for retail" (sorry for the paraphrasing Dino :fistbump:). I can't help but feel the same way with the vintage market. I feel like there is a huge demand for all things vintage right now. And who is to say how long that will last? I guess I worry about the speculation--because the market and "value" of a vintage watch is not as easily delineated as a new watch.

*also, I apologize for my very rudimentary understanding of economics.

And Dino, have yet to address your post, just reading through it now!

Last edited:

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Best I can do. Note that this is a Pre-moon, so has the old Sea-monster Seamaster back. Also has an applied Omega symbol on the dial. The lume at 1:00 and 6:00 and from the minute and hour hands has also flaked, which is why the hands look skeletonized. I can probably get them replaced, but I prefer original and they are perfectly legible - just no glow. Given the age of around 50 years, I don't expect any glow anyway.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good points, n. glad you appreciated my thoughts. i appreciate you bringing up the topic.

the only difference though in employing dinos remarks about waiting for things to cool down, to vintage, is that you may run the risk of not getting your hands on the model you want, if no one is willing to sell when you want it. especially if selling means the owner will be taking a hit.

i think most of the time when these models go for huge jumps it because someone with a healthy bank account has it hot and heavy for that model and wants it now, and does not want it to get away. and if a bidding war ensues and egos get involved, well then, all bets are off.

as opposed to production models, once the initial excitement dies down, and supply and demand line back up, its not usually a big deal to get what you want for a more reasonable price if you just wait a little.

ymmv, but thats how it seems to me.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
watch looks great, dopey!

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks. I wish I could do a better job photographing it. It is really pretty clean. I am tempted to get a modern version as well to wear all the time, though this one is pretty durable. The column wheel chrono movement is beautiful as well - stock photo:

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that is a fantastic picture.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Classic IWC with the 7-day Pellaton..... favorite watch of the legendary :foo: as I recall....

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lovely portuguese! Looks very, very nice on your wrist.

Classic IWC with the 7-day Pellaton..... favorite watch of the legendary :foo: as I recall....

Rumor has it that it is the best finished watch evar.

Warren, why did you choose to send it to a new home?

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i do liek that IWC port. i like it alut.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:nodding:

was hoping someone would get that. i love that movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads