• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

PartagasIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To wit, not that anyone cares, but in the college graduation gift to my sister, I ended up having my midsize Seamaster Pro automatic hand-engraved on the underside with the date and her initials. It was quasi-meaningful because when I was much younger, she used to always ask to borrow the watch and loved to wear it. While still 36mm, looks great on her.

"Vintage" insofar as to me personally, got the watch with summer work money when I was 15. Along those lines, great feeling to gift a watch to someone you care about who is interested in them.

Last edited:

kungapa

Reaction score

To wit, not that anyone cares, but in the college graduation gift to my sister, I ended up having my midsize Seamaster Pro automatic hand-engraved on the underside with the date and her initials. It was quasi-meaningful because when I was much younger, she used to always ask to borrow the watch and loved to wear it. While still 36mm, looks great on her.

"Vintage" insofar as to me personally, got the watch with summer work money when I was 15. Along those lines, great feeling to gift a watch to someone you care about who is interested in them.

Nice story - I appreciate that. My sister's graduation is coming up in a few years. Perhaps that is a good time to pass on my Stowa.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Recent Cartier talk made me go rescue this from my wife's jewelry drawer. She's been "borrowing" this from me for a while.

Micro CARTIER on the VII.

MatthewG18

Reaction score
Day off, bored in the afternoon...time for some tyre-kicking in the ever-empty Panerai boutique: I've tried the base Luminor before, and it's the most reasonably priced and, imho the "definitive" Panerai. But given your suggestion, I tried some fancier options that caught my eye:

I continue to be surprised by how "wearable" these boys are in the flesh. This 323 thing has a GMT subdial (and I like the centre second hand they've added) and 10 day power reserve, and is a monstrous 47mm of lumpy steel automatic. I suppose because it has the wire loop instead of lugs, the feel of it is much smaller. I was really surprised by how easy it wears. I love that strap too. Trivial, perhaps, but the whole thing was very appealing.

Almost every aspect of this watch looks awesome, the colour of the strap kinda puts me off though. If the strap was darker it would look even better.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

GO REVERSO!!! :slayer:

I can't help but agree. There is something about a Reverso that really is awesome. Your pics are doing plenty of convincing as well! I think that your new strap really completes it.

And that is very interesting regarding servicing. Personally, I am kind of scared shitless to send my watch anywhere other than La Grande Maison. I know it is pricey, but I am just incredibly OCD about that kind of stuff. With that said, the job looks OUTSTANDING. Looks like a brand spanking new watch. That has got to be a great feeling. Thanks a lot for the pictures. I may go through ABP this time, and I think that I will get a tang buckle. The JLC deployant on the MUT Moon and I just are not getting along.

I dig the 323 a bunch. That watch looks spectacular.

And I see what you did there in re the Tank! Sneaky Mimo. You know, if I was to get one I think I would get the Ultra Thin though... I will keep you guys up to date :).

Duly noted sir.

Terrible influence. You know Dino, I think you have me convinced on the square watch bug...

hanky looks awesome too!!

also agreed about reverso v tank

no comparison, but neither is the price.

That is true. Unfortunately, to me there is a little bit of a comparison--they are both rectangular. I just do not see myself owning two square watches at this point in my collection. And I cannot help but feel that if I purchased the Tank Solo, I would always want the Reverso (or something like Dino's magical Tank).

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
love that Cartier zippyh! :bigstar:

dlm4114

Reaction score
Stitch that Reverso is awesome man. I was about to suggest that anyone looking in the <$5k range check out a used/vintage Rev. And the strap is perfect, you can tell it's made for that watch, it fits with the lugs perfectly. Is the clasp from the JLC mothership too?

And re: the sueded croc strap-- I've been playing around on ABP's site lately and while I don't specifically recall seeing sueded croc, that place has pangolin leather as a strap option, so I would be surprised if they don't carry/can't get sueded croc. Seems like turnaround/shipping is pretty reasonable too.

I'd also like to echo my support for anything in the 36-40mm range. I'm not a small guy and IMO it's the size range that looks best on me. Some great deals to be found in those sizes if you don't mind digging a bit, too. And re: online vintage, I've heard good things about Matthew Bain (I think he's in Miami?) and a shop in Dallas whose name escapes me at the moment. Bain skews high end though.

ETA a question-- can anyone opine on the merits of lining and padding in an alligator strap? I'd like to get one put together, and I'm not quite sure where to go in that department. Watch is 40mm diver and it would be worn mostly in warm weather. Thanks!

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BP does indeed have sueded gator! It is under their basic alligator, under colors :).

MatthewG18

Reaction score
I woulden't say that this watch is in the best condition, but it is a Baume and Mercier from the late 1960's so we have to show it some love!

It's an automatic incabloc. It was bought by my Dad's Uncle in Geneva in the 60's, still works like new!

I personally love the bracelet..

Last edited:

Devoti

Reaction score
I know there was a debate earlier about the JLC Reveil but take a look at this one

There similar looking but crowns have a different function. I think the Universal Geneve are the ones who designed the Reveil movement for JLC but the Polerouter sub was very thin but waterproof dive watch and I believe the second crown was to move the bezel. There's one selling on *Bay that's already getting heavy bidding on it. Supposedly these are very rare.

I really like the patina on this watch.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Almost every aspect of this watch looks awesome, the colour of the strap kinda puts me off though. If the strap was darker it would look even better.

If you saw that strap in person, I assure you, you would consider marrying it. :)

But I still loved the 423 more anyway...

MatthewG18

Reaction score
If you saw that strap in person, I assure you, you would consider marrying it. :)

But I still loved the 423 more anyway...
ahahah i probably would try and marry the majority of the watches i have seen on this thread :p

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:D

Is the 323 on the Jules Verne (sueded croc) strap? Those are supposed to be great....I've heard that they are buttery soft right from the get-go, and they age very well. Of course most Paneristi are going to be swapping out constantly anyway.

Stitchy: love the last pic...that's a great pair.

The JV straps are amazing. Hot one for my 251 as I think it's the best looking strap on a white face PAM. Alas, I traded the 251. But still have the JV. It would look better on a tobacco dial than on my black dial PAMs. Guess ill have to break down and snag a tobacco dial luminor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads