• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Hayward - there are, although as I said, I found the massive ones surprisingly wearable. YMMV. I think there are some at around 42mm, which seems more mainstream. But I maintain that if I were to buy a Panerai, why would I want one to be "normal sized"? It seems to me part of the identity that it's a bit of a monster. Then again, it's a matter of proportion with the wearer I suppose. But considering my daily wear is about 35mm and a modest depth too (manual), I wasn't much fazed by the size difference.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those that have been looking for cool vintage in the 3-5k range, this is a sweet one:

http://www.aaronfaber.com/viewitem.asp?idProduct=4112

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I liked it, but it didn't make me feel like enough of a douchebag!

:D

Is the 323 on the Jules Verne (sueded croc) strap? Those are supposed to be great....I've heard that they are buttery soft right from the get-go, and they age very well. Of course most Paneristi are going to be swapping out constantly anyway.

Stitchy: love the last pic...that's a great pair.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Ron,

This is a prime example of what I mentioned to Khal a page or two back. I actually saw a similar VC on eBay when I did a quick search of examples for him. But it's that 33mm case size that makes it so cheap, while at the same time so difficult to sell to a modern gent. But as I've also mentioned, I have a wrist size over 7 1/4 +, and wear a 35mm watch most days, so if I were that much more slender, I don't see why not.

And also, we mostly have women in our lives, don't we? I'd get a lot of pleasure out of seeing her wear this. Nice pick, Ron. :)

Edit:

Keith, sorry we posted at the same time. Yes, I didn't know that's what it was called, but that's exactly what it must have been. It was the most luxurious and special-feeling watch strap I've seen. Almost seemed odd to find something so lovely on a tang. It's absolutely beautiful, and you're right, butter-soft.

Last edited:

Devoti

Reaction score
thanks, D! i got it from a jewelry/watch guy in FL that we do a lot of business with with, who ordered it from an AD for me, who ordered it from JLC in swisslandz. i got a bit of a discount, he sold it to me at his cost as favor to a friend, but even so, the discount was not huge. accessories are not to sold to ADs from the manufatures at near the % cost that the actual watches are.

Thanks Stitches,

I think the best course of action and the proper thing to do is maybe to look and admire the band for a day or two so you can enjoy it and then sell it to me! (joking). It's really nice. The first time you posted a pic it looked like a typical back band but the new pics show it a lot better.

I have been looking hard for the past several months for this exact type of band, same luster, color, rolled edges and texture. I've been failing hard finding the band because either color/texture is off or it's too glossy or too flat. The only thing I'm finding close it are NOS vintage Omega straps or spend $400++ for a similar band.

I was only asking if it was a local supplier who may have had a batch of them. It's so hard finding good replacement straps due to the nature of the material and hand finishing. I think it would be a crap shoot getting the same band going through the chain of AD's and then to JLC Swiss.

So just PM me and I'll send you my address (joke, sort of).

Cheers

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks Stitches,

I think the best course of action and the proper thing to do is maybe to look and admire the band for a day or two so you can enjoy it and then sell it to me! (joking). It's really nice. The first time you posted a pic it looked like a typical back band but the new pics show it a lot better.

I have been looking hard for the past several months for this exact type of band, same luster, color, rolled edges and texture. I've been failing hard finding the band because either color/texture is off or it's too glossy or too flat. The only thing I'm finding close it are NOS vintage Omega straps or spend $400++ for a similar band.

I was only asking if it was a local supplier who may have had a batch of them. It's so hard finding good replacement straps due to the nature of the material and hand finishing. I think it would be a crap shoot getting the same band going through the chain of AD's and then to JLC Swiss.

So just PM me and I'll send you my address (joke, sort of).

Cheers

thanks!

yeah, for these pics i had better lighting and took my time. the strap only pics were just a teaser. id be glad to sell it to you. as long as the profit is enough that i can handle waiting another 6 weeks to order another one. : )

i would imagine though, that JLC is pretty uniform in their straps, and that another would be pretty darn close to this one, but i dont know that for sure. either way, yeah, good bands are not always easy to find, certainly not on the cheap.

lastly, this band is made for the squdra specifically, and has wide plastic end caps to fit the width between the lugs, so i doubt it would look right on any other watch anyways.

:)

Devoti

Reaction score
Thanks but I think you would be absolutely crazy to sell the strap. It's looks perfect together with the watch. Enjoy!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in that case, i will keep it all for myself! thanks! :slayer:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
If you have a special relationship, maybe you can hook Devoti up with a "special"?

Also, re. the "Jules Verne" sueded croc strap mentioned previously, have you seen anything similar anywhere else? I have to say it was a revelation to me, and I'm wondering who else does them.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i can, and will always, do the best i can, for SF bros in need of services.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing like homoerotic statements on styleforum :)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:nodding:

did you see my answer to your question and my new strap? /self promoter.

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did, I will be writing a more thorough response later :). 8 hour bar prep class... and I am terribly at posting through tapatalk.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ron,

This is a prime example of what I mentioned to Khal a page or two back. I actually saw a similar VC on eBay when I did a quick search of examples for him. But it's that 33mm case size that makes it so cheap, while at the same time so difficult to sell to a modern gent....

And also, we mostly have women in our lives, don't we? I'd get a lot of pleasure out of seeing her wear this. Nice pick, Ron. :)
+1

The size issue is true of many vintage VCs, Piagets, Pateks, APs, etc. Years ago 31-33 was a very popular size, but with today's market favoring larger watches it limits the values and ease of selling some vintage pieces. You kind of have to search for what was once considered the "odd ball oversized" watch to get something in the 36-38mm range on a vintage piece.

However, as you pointed out many of these vintage pieces would look great on the women who put up with us...I mean adore us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads