• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
dont buy one on ebay
happy.gif

rotflmao.gif

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
What are people's thoughts on the small portuguese (not my pic):

I think a smaller watch is nice when it's a simple two or three hand design; more dressy and subtle. I think it has to be a white face if it's smaller though. And personally, I prefer a brown strap, especially with the rose gold. But then who the hell am I? :)

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I may be wrong. The cal. 58 in the ebay watch was a pocket watch movement that DID have the crown at 3:00:
And here is what a cal. 57 movement looked like.

Are you all still sure the ebay watch is a fake?

No screwed chatons, dopey.

AFAIK screwed chatons are standard on cal 57/58, and I've been told that one should expect them on good pocket watches of that vintage. Full disclosure - I know little about pocket watches, so could be completely wrong.

I think idiots who recase pocket watches and sell them as wristwatches without full and upfront disclosure should be skinned, which is I guess poetic justice in a sense (and my warped mind at work of course).

Last edited:

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's everyone's thoughts on the 39mm Explorer 1? Also, what sort of perception do people have of Rolexes and people who wear them? I think at 39mm, the Explorer 1 is subtle enough to get a pass and mitigate any negative perceptions, no?

Cylon

Reaction score
Personally I prefer the 36mm explorer.

People make all sorts of assumptions about rolex wearers, but they call the 36mm explorer a stealth rolex for a reason

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i like it.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's everyone's thoughts on the 39mm Explorer 1? Also, what sort of perception do people have of Rolexes and people who wear them? I think at 39mm, the Explorer 1 is subtle enough to get a pass and mitigate any negative perceptions, no?

The Ex 1 in the photo is actually the prior 36mm 114270. I prefer it to the 39mm model, but both are nice. Both are simple tasteful steel watches that are not going to attract any unwanted/negative attention. I think as long as you stay away from an all gold Rolex, which most people find very flashy...the majority of people don't care what watch you wear.

As for the perceptions of Rolex, its a very good, reliable and robust watch. It has very good resale value, and can take whatever you can dish out. Its not the same quality as say a Patek, Lange, AP, or VC...but a Rolex costs significantly less. As for perception of people wearing Rolex, I've met Rolex owners that I liked and some I didn't, but I could also say that about people that wear Patek, Journe, VC, AP, Omega and a bunch of other brands.

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I prefer the 36mm explorer.

People make all sorts of assumptions about rolex wearers, but they call the 36mm explorer a stealth rolex for a reason

Agree with Cylon's comment above, and with Dino944's assessment of the watch in the picture actually being the 36mm. Aside from the size difference, the 39mm has lugs that don't "slope as much" into the bracelet - a bit of a change in the 36mm's aesthetic that I don't quite like.

Wrist shot today as I am "stealthifying around" with my 36mm Explorer, actually.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welp, getting the PP pocket watch ready for sale, wanted to share some pics. i thought the engraving was particularly cool. i wonder if companies still give PP for top sales performers. i would guess not so much, but i have no idea.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
welp, getting the PP pocket watch ready for sale, wanted to share some pics. i thought the engraving was particularly cool. i wonder if companies still give PP for top sales performers. i would guess not so much, but i have no idea.

Amazing pics. Yeah, those were the days when companies (and Chrysler!) could afford these things, huh. I wonder what relative prices and values were back in 1933, though. Nowadays sales departments tend to give away free trips to warmer Caribbean islands (significant others included, perhaps) and items like iPads, etc.

Last November there was a Patek 3919 listed in TRF that was supposedly commissioned by former (and future?) Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi as giveaways. Pic borrowed here from that posting:

I wonder how much clout - or money, or both - you need to have to tell the Stern family to go make a few (hundred?) pieces as trinkets that you give away.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agree with Cylon's comment above, and with Dino944's assessment of the watch in the picture actually being the 36mm. Aside from the size difference, the 39mm has lugs that don't "slope as much" into the bracelet - a bit of a change in the 36mm's aesthetic that I don't quite like. Wrist shot today as I am "stealthifying around" with my 36mm Explorer, actually.
Stunning! Seems like the 39mm model is rather polarizing, as people either love it or they don't. Unfortunately 36mm is too small for me and personally, the fact that I am considering a sub-40mm watch is surprising. Either way, I'll have to go to my AD and try it. That is if they decide to unlock the doors and let me inside.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stunning! Seems like the 39mm model is rather polarizing, as people either love it or they don't. Unfortunately 36mm is too small for me and personally, the fact that I am considering a sub-40mm watch is surprising. Either way, I'll have to go to my AD and try it. That is if they decide to unlock the doors and let me inside.

Yeah, it's a very personal-preference thing. I believe the 39mm models are all that's available from ADs nowadays unless they have a 36mm lying around from days gone by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads